• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Troy "Director's Cut"

Whaaaat? I'm sorry I have to strongly disagree. Pitt was magnetic as Achilles in this role. I don't see how anyone could look at Pitt's performance in this and say it was poor (heck, I don't really think Pitt's given a bad performance in any of his movie). TO this day, I don't understand why this movie gets such a bad rep, its a really good, entertaining film.

I have no problem with liberties but Troy was pretty much a awful script with dicey casting and questionable performances. I read somwhere that great old Peter O'Toole thought it was absolute ****.

300 I agree is a far far more successful film. It redefines and reinterprets a historical event on its own terms but yet more or less conveys what happened and strays true to the character's feelings and thought process.

Plus it's just so... Hollywoodized. The tropes are there in full force, and it's utterly predictable (By that I mean you can predict the parts that AREN'T already in the Illiad).

It was made when realism was all the rage, but I'd love to see an Illiad movie that goes full on myth including the battle between Athena and Ares.

If it wasn't inspired, why would they have the same characters and use the storyline they did.

In regards to Peter O'Toole talking crap about the film, it sounds like he was really angry at the director Wolfgang Petersen.

"Ugh, what a disaster," O'Toole later admitted. "The director, that kraut, what a clown he was. When it was all over, I watched 15 minutes of the finished movie and then walked out."

"The director, that kraut, what a clown he was. When it was all over, I watched 15 minutes of the finished movie and then walked out."

...said the star of Supergirl.

Said one of the greatest actors of all time. Said the actor who played Lawrence of Arabia.

I wonder when he mentions that it was a "disaster" if he's referencing the production or the final product. I realize he walked out 15 minutes in but that may have been due to his frustration with the crew (read: director) themselves.

^^The above seems like a clutching at straws assumption.

O'Toole hated the movie, plain and simple.

^^The above seems like a clutching at straws assumption.

O'Toole hated the movie, plain and simple.

You say that Pittman's post is a major assumption yet you have no proof O'Toole hated the entire movie. That quote I posted wasn't enough to prove that. He pretty much talks **** about the Director and I agree with Pittman that he probably got frustrated or pissed off while watching the movie thinking about the production. Sorry but he read the script before signing on like most actors do. I don't think he would have signed on if he thought it was ****, unless he really needed the money.

Let's also not forget that he only watched 15 minutes of the movie, IE: the beginning, since he mentioned he walked out which means from a theater most likely. His character wasn't in every scene so other than reading the script he wouldn't know how it all payed out.

Said one of the greatest actors of all time. Said the actor who played Lawrence of Arabia.

The point is that everyone has made bad films, O'Toole included. Not a reason for insults.

If we're judging people on their worst movies, O'Toole was in Supergirl.

If we can judge them by their best, Peterson made Das Boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"