Twisted Metal is coming!....?

Sundancer

Cynicist
Reaction score
The Twisted Metal franchise is leaping to the big screen, according to film news site Deadline.

The site is reporting that Sony Pictures has made a seven-figure deal with Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance co-director Brian Taylor to write and direct a film based on the game. Taylor also co-directed action movies Crank, Crank 2, and Gamer. This Twisted Metal movie will be the first film Taylor directs on his own.

According to the site, the Twisted Metal film will focus on an "underground event" that has a string of combatants dueling to the death in weaponized vehicles. The organizer of the race will be Calypso, a "string-puller," who will grant the victor any wish he chooses.

Deadline is also reporting that the iconic murderous clown Sweet Tooth will appear in the film alongside the masked Doll Face. No further information regarding the Twisted Metal movie was provided.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/twisted-metal-movie-on-the-way-report-6350445
www.deadline.com/2012/02/ghost-ride...sony-deal-to-writedirect-twisted-metal-movie/

Finally the rich tapestry of lore in Twisted Metal can be fully realized on the big screen.

Taylor but no Neveldine? Did they have a falling out or something?

I hope it is PG-13, titled Twisted Metal 3D, has a terrible plot, bad characterization and just a mindless action movie.

I hope Reverse psychology doesn't work. :huh: Wait... is that right...?

I guess its good?

Havent played any of the recent games, but from what I remember the character stories were kind of out there.

My favorite was "Twisted Metal: Black" due to them taking it to a semi-realistic venue. I hope they play it along those lines.

I hope it is PG-13, titled Twisted Metal 3D, has a terrible plot, bad characterization and just a mindless action movie.

I hope Reverse psychology doesn't work. :huh: Wait... is that right...?

DEATH RACE = R (which I'm seeing this as a nightmarish vision of)

----

CRANK = R

CRANK II = R

GAMER = R

It's going to be R, dude. :cwink:

The only time a film like this is PG-13 is if they think it will target a teenage audience more and has potential huge numbers. And that? Is not this:

SWEETTOOTHPS3.jpg

They chose a guy who is well known for making hard R films with the exception of Ghost Rider (the only one out of his 4 films to be PG-13).

Last edited:
I'm pumped. I hope it is over the top and ridiculous.

I remember the gamess from when I was younger. If done rigjt could be an interesting film.

According to the site, the Twisted Metal film will focus on an "underground event" that has a string of combatants dueling to the death in weaponized vehicles. The organizer of the race will be Calypso, a "string-puller," who will grant the victor any wish he chooses.
Just like Death Race?
I like Twisted Metal, but we've seen all of that before, but the characters.

If they can make each vehicle different, like Axel's, then maybe.

If done right, it could be entertaining. Twisted Metal Black was a very twisted game, no pun intended. The combatants were pretty damn disturbed, I wouldn't mind seeing that translated onto film, could be really good. All I know is as far as casting goes, Kane Hodder for Sweet Tooth, the guy played Jason Voorhees quite a bit, so I think he would nail Sweet Tooth

----

CRANK = R

CRANK II = R

GAMER = R

It's going to be R, dude. :cwink:

Then there's John Woo's extensive R rated resume and he had to do MI2 as PG-13 :o

PG-13 might work since this game isn't known for blood or 'bodies." We could get decent action from races scenes and a ton of explosions.

But I won't cry if it's R.

Finally the rich tapestry of lore in Twisted Metal can be fully realized on the big screen.

Like 99.9% of movies based on video games...it will suck.

Like 99.9% of movies based on video games...it will suck.

very sad, but very true. I can't even began to imagine that there are people out there that are still shelling money out to see those god awful Resident Evil films

Then there's John Woo's extensive R rated resume and he had to do MI2 as PG-13 :o

PG-13 might work since this game isn't known for blood or 'bodies." We could get decent action from races scenes and a ton of explosions.

But I won't cry if it's R.

In a PG-13 franchise, it would obviously be PG-13 and Mission Impossible is something WITH a broad demographic. Which this isn't. This is a more of a cult balls-to-the-wall kind of film.

Trust me, I'm a kind of guy who isn't "everything mustz be R!!!" :cmad: I understand PG-13 from a very business and selling-out lol point of view. And that is not this. That's Ghost Rider - a MARVEL superhero - and a Tom Cruise action sequel following up its PG-13 original -- but it's not a Death Race kind of cult film with a low budget going after fans of the M rated game and action junkies.

Studio point of view: have a film like Death Race, with the director of Crank and Gamer, with a surreal nightmarish aspect, and a title older gamers are familiar with along with a low budget to draw in the finances from that demographic who wants their action raw = box office success in comparison to its budget.

They aren't looking at this being a big film. I'm a fan of the game, but it doesn't have wide enough appeal to warrant that.

Basically it's a safe R to studio executives and smart business move with director and title.

Last edited:
That does blow games into movies haven't hhad a lot of success. Come on some are so as they are ready movies and they still screw it up.

The problem is the directors. When they take on video game adaptations, at times they feel as though they need to expand on a story that's pretty much already set. What kills me about the Resident Evil films is that they're straight up action films, I don't want them to be summer blockbusters. I always envisioned RE films as being the next evolution in horror films. Instead of zombies preying on dimwitted townspeople who have little to no skill with dealing with such threat, they prey on a Special Forces team of sorts. I think that throws a monkey wrench into things because although they may be dealing with a threat that is horrific, they ARE backed by training. Imagine a Friday the 13th film where everyone Jason encountered would put up a fight and shake getting killed, it adds another level of suspense because now you're thinking "Ok, how long is he gonna last? He gotta out of that, but when is Jason gonna get the upper hand?"

Paul W.S. Anderson managed to do Mortal Kombat some justice and the first film didn't stray too far away from the games, the "tournament" plot was still there as well as the characters that appeared in the game. Resident Evil on the other hand contains some elements from the game, but screwed things up with the Alice character. Why make a character specifically for the film and then have characters from the game play second fiddle? Doesn't make the least bit of sense, and it throws the film into that "In Name Only" category.

Twisted Metal could be a good franchise to make films around, but IMO, I think they need to have a director that can deliver a great horror film and great action film. It should be the type of film where you're not rooting for a good guy because hell, all of the characters are ****ed up in the head anyways.

Last edited:
Twisted Metal could be a good franchise to make films around, but IMO, I think they need to have a director that can deliver a great horror film and great action film. It should be the type of film where you're not rooting for a good guy because hell, all of the characters are ****ed up in the head anyways.

I don't know about this. If you have a protagonist an audience hates, then you won't have anything for them to be invested in - it would just be random action. HOWEVER, with this said - you can even have sympathy for the devil if you write it right.

Has any movie been written where you weren't rotting for the protagonist?

I don't know about this. If you have a protagonist an audience hates, then you won't have anything for them to be invested in - it would just be random action. HOWEVER, with this said - you can even have sympathy for the devil if you write it right.

Has any movie been written where you weren't rotting for the protagonist?

I get what you're saying, if written right, the audience could in a way want to see a certain villain through. Freddy vs Jason involved 2 villains from 2 different slasher films of the 80's. IMO, I rooted for Jason, but its kinda hard to use that film as an example to add clarity to my statement, the film was nothing more than fan service. And I agree with you, a person could have sympathy for the devil if his backstory was written correctly.

I guess its good?

Havent played any of the recent games, but from what I remember the character stories were kind of out there.

I've played all the games and never realized the characters had a story. All I remember is a clown in an ice cream truck. They've made a remake of Death Race and a ripoff of that film (Deathracers) featuring the Insane Clown Posse. I wonder how well this would do.

So which characters do you guys really want to see make it into the movie?

So which characters do you guys really want to see make it into the movie?

Sweet Tooth

Mr. Grimm

Axel

Thumper

Doll Face

and the guy that got jacked up by the crop duster dude's chemicals, can't remember his name and too lazy to look it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"