Unpopular music-related opinions

The Beastie Boys didn't ruin the 80's.
Bunker F***ing love your avvy.

It's cool and all if you don't like rap, but to degrade it by saying it isn't music just because you don't listen to it is pretty ****ing ignorant. I loathe heavy metal and country, but I'm not going to be an ass and say they aren't really music. You probably have never listened to real rap anyway. It's cool, though.

I agree. Its music, guys

It's cool and all if you don't like rap, but to degrade it by saying it isn't music just because you don't listen to it is pretty ****ing ignorant. I loathe heavy metal and country, but I'm not going to be an ass and say they aren't really music. You probably have never listened to real rap anyway. It's cool, though.
This is the "unpopular music opinion thread". Just a part of the territory

The Beastie Boys didn't ruin the 80's.

The Beastie Boys weren't significant enough to ruin the 80's. They weren't even significant enough to ruin "Krush Groove"-not single-handedly, anyway.
I'd like to see some of the 90's R & B girl groups-SWV, Jade, Brownstone-again.

You are completely correct about this. Music is music whether someone likes it or not. It's a subjective art form that is in the ears of the listener.

Keyshia Cole is a terrible singer who owes her success to not only the producers she turned to for music, but also to the constant "Tupac" name-dropping she did when she came out. It was "I was brought up by Tupac" this, and "Tupac was like a big brother to me" that. Congratulations. It doesn't mean your ass can sing. Quite frankly, I'm surprised she still has a career after releasing her song titled "Love."

You've also got to remember Keyshia Cole's boobs. They are very nice, and I'm sure that contributes to her success as well. She can't sing too well, but I like some of her stuff. The melodies are nice sometimes, and the song matter is worth a listen. It would be better if a good singer like Beyonce was singing some of her stuff, but it's cool that Keyshia is at least singing from the heart. Unlike some people who just dance to cover up their terrible singing. *cough* Ciara *cough*

I loved her songs "I Changed My Mind" & "I Just Want It To Be Over". It wasn't until I heard "Love" that I realized just how horrendous her voice is. But I do agree that her melodies & subject matter make up for some of what she lacks in vocal ability. And she's not bad to look at.

That's a lot of nonsense for one post :o

I for one have been listening to Rap since the 90'...Wu-Tang,all of it's members(Raekwon,Ghostface,ODB) solo efforts,Tribe,Das Efx,De La Soul, just to name a few...that doesn't make me blind of what constitutes a rap song.

Rappers are not musicians...borrowing/stealing a sample of some one else's song is not artistic.Talking/reciting over it it's even less.

Whether you hate metal or country,it's a fact that those people are musicians who have a knowledge of harmony,musical theory,write their own songs and actually sing not talk over the music.You take out the vocals from Metallica and you have a classic instrumental like Orion...you take the reciting out of rap and you are left with a stolen sample.

The only redeeming thing of rap are the lyrics...but great lyrics by themselves especially when they are recited not sang are not music.

I'd like to see some of the 90's R & B girl groups-SWV, Jade, Brownstone-again.
They were cool. :(
Unlike some people who just dance to cover up their terrible singing. *cough* Ciara *cough*
Ciara can't sing, but at least she can entertain through dance. That's better than not being able to dance OR sing well *cough*Keyshia*cough*.

There's talent, there's showmanship & there's gimmickry. Any one of these can sell records.

Yup. But remember - dancing might not equate to musical talent, but it's still a talent.

Neither one of them has any vocal talent if you ask me.

But Keyshia has some good songs. Ciara just has some noise to dance to. Teedra Moses owns both of them anyway, but she actually has talent. That's a no no in commercial music for women.

That's a lot of nonsense for one post :o

I for one have been listening to Rap since the 90'...Wu-Tang,all of it's members(Raekwon,Ghostface,ODB) solo efforts,Tribe,Das Efx,De La Soul, just to name a few...that doesn't make me blind of what constitutes a rap song.

Rappers are not musicians...borrowing/stealing a sample of some one else's song is not artistic.Talking/reciting over it it's even less.

Whether you hate metal or country,it's a fact that those people are musicians who have a knowledge of harmony,musical theory,write their own songs and actually sing not talk over the music.You take out the vocals from Metallica and you have a classic instrumental like Orion...you take the reciting out of rap and you are left with a stolen sample.

The only redeeming thing of rap are the lyrics...but great lyrics by themselves especially when they are recited not sang are not music.
The Roots would beg to differ.

Agreed... In fact there's a number of hip-hop artist whose talent further crosses those lines and have an extended understanding of musical theory... and then there's groups like Bone-Thugz who blur those lines further so it is at best an "at length" statement.

Ever since "Just Lose It", Eminem is dead to me.

Agreed... In fact there's a number of hip-hop artist whose talent further crosses those lines and have an extended understanding of musical theory... and then there's groups like Bone-Thugz who blur those lines further so it is at best an "at length" statement.

Speaking of which... I think Bone Thugs have drastically improved since they first came out. Their subject matter, their flow, their melodies, it's all a lot more sophisticated now. They had some awesome songs back in the day, but now it's not ALL, "Me killa, me no surrenda."

Tupac and Biggie are no different than guys like Kurt Cobain. They may have been extremely popular before their death, but they somehow grew into "legends" just because they died at an early age. They were good, but they don't deserve to be blown up into pioneers of rap music.

I have to say I find it incredibly tiresome for folk to dismiss an artist's influence and talent by merely citing their early death as being a sympathetic galvanising force for their popularity. It's a very easy, lazy, common thing for folk to say about any number of artists, and if everyone who said this were right it would mean that The Doors, Hendrix, Nirvana, Elvis, et al, had absolutely no impact on future musicians, when this just is not true at all. All you have to do is look at all the musicians who cite their influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"