Unpopular music-related opinions

Journey is subpar.
Flo Rida (other than a few exceptions) sucks.
Bruce Springsteen is not passed his prime.
Green Day didn't sell out, they just grew up.
The only good country music is at least 40 years old.
The Clash really are the best punk band.
Sondheim (though amazing) is not the best musical composer in history.

Hey Chairman, how come I haven't seen you in the politics forum in a long time? ;)

Maybe I'm biased because I'm such a big fan, but I don't know many people who think this. He wrote one of the most important records of the decade, The Rising, which tackled the 9 / 11 attacks and its aftermath from all angles ("Paradise" is one of the best songs he's ever written) in a way no other artist was willing to. And Magic is one of his Top 5 Best.

Oh, and he's still the best live act around.

Last edited:
Brian Johnson of AC/DC has one of the most annoying singing voices ever.

Linkin Park sucks.

The Beatles are simply weak versions of overlooked black groups in America at the time. Same thing with Elvis.

Michael Jackson, while a good singer, was not a great singer. Not a knock, just saying that there are much better singers.

Alicia Keyes is extremely overrated. She's fairly mediocre, and the only reason why she is looked at highly is because she plays a piano.

The R&B groups of the 90s were better than the old groups of Motown and Stax. Nostalgia clouds judgment.

Country is a good genre of music to listen to, but it seems that it's universally dissed. I've heard, "I listen to all kinds of music...except country," a million times now.

There is no such thing as the greatest album of all time, and if it was it damn sure wouldn't be "Dark Side of the Moon." Of all the great talent back then, Pink Floyd were the only ones that struck some kind of perfection that couldn't be replicated by other acts that were just as good?

Jay-Z and Lil Wayne are pretty much the same rapper. The only reason why people see the difference is because of regional and era bias. They may use different words, but they talk about the same ****. They're not as different as people like to think.

Journey is subpar.
Flo Rida (other than a few exceptions) sucks.
Bruce Springsteen is not passed his prime.
Green Day didn't sell out, they just grew up.
The only good country music is at least 40 years old.
The Clash really are the best punk band.
Sondheim (though amazing) is not the best musical composer in history.

Hey Chairman, how come I haven't seen you in the politics forum in a long time? ;)
:bow:

Honestly couldn't agree with you more on all of this.

- Elvis was famous mainly because he was the first white artist to sing black music.

Yeah, this is what Sam Philips basically said just before he discovered Elvis, 'If I could find a white guy who sang like that I'd make a million dollars.'
A lot of people did not believe Elvis was white when they heard him on the radio.
His early Sun recordings for Sam Philips are amazing though, he did do something to create rock and roll the way we know it. He sped up the beats and created a new way of interpreting the old blues records that caught on in a big way, it was not all style, there was real substance to those early recordings.
You can hear snatches of him talking to the band on those recordings that backs this up..'Wait a minute bys wait a minute...let's do it again, it's just not moving me...' and then they would all go into a more uptempo beat with wild abandon, this is what became rock and roll as we know it.

Last edited:
I never got the fascination with Elvis. The only song of his I ever really liked was "Jailhouse Rock". Speaking of which, there is no such song in the Jacksons'/Michael Jackson's catalog as "This Place Hotel". The song is CLEARLY entitled "Heartbreak Hotel", and I absolutely REFUSE to call it otherwise just because Epic was at some point scared of pissing off Elvis fans. (Especially since Whitney Houston has since used the title with no problem.)

-Nirvana and Queen are two bands that are overrated because of the tragic deaths of their lead singers

Nirvana, yes, because they were at the height of their popularity when Kurt Cobain died. Queen? I disagree. Freddie Mercury died in the early 90's, a good decade or 2 after Queen first hit it big.

1. The Beatles are simply weak versions of overlooked black groups in America at the time. Same thing with Elvis.

2. Michael Jackson, while a good singer, was not a great singer. Not a knock, just saying that there are much better singers.

3. Alicia Keyes is extremely overrated. She's fairly mediocre, and the only reason why she is looked at highly is because she plays a piano.

4. The R&B groups of the 90s were better than the old groups of Motown and Stax. Nostalgia clouds judgment.

5. Country is a good genre of music to listen to, but it seems that it's universally dissed. I've heard, "I listen to all kinds of music...except country," a million times now.

6. There is no such thing as the greatest album of all time, and if it was it damn sure wouldn't be "Dark Side of the Moon." Of all the great talent back then, Pink Floyd were the only ones that struck some kind of perfection that couldn't be replicated by other acts that were just as good?

7. Jay-Z and Lil Wayne are pretty much the same rapper. The only reason why people see the difference is because of regional and era bias. They may use different words, but they talk about the same ****. They're not as different as people like to think.

1. The Beatles did get many of their early influences from black artists as black artists were a lot more respected in the UK than the US at the time. I wouldn't say they were weaker than Black artists, but from what I hear from other artists they weren't the best. But they did come into their own and became more original throughout the decade and led the British Invasion.

2. I agree with Michael Jackson, but his voice wasn't his strength. I would say it was his intangibles. He could dance, he had written most of his songs, he worked closely with directors on his music videos and had worked with producers. You really say that about many pop artists today.

3. I like Alicia Keys because unlike many artists, she writes her own music and performs them herself, so yeah she's looked highly because she plays a piano. Though I don't really like her albums as a whole, I still like her singles.

4. Boyz II Men FTW!

5. I'll make exceptions sometimes, but I still honestly feel a little uncomfortable listening to country. I don't why, but I just do.

6. While I love Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall imo was a much better, superior album than the Wall. I love it more because there were many parts in The Wall I can relate too (not the nazi parts lol though the songs were still great), and it also had a continuous story to it. The Wall is my #1 favorite album of all time.

7. Yeah, they are, but lets be honest. Jay-Z, while he isn't the greatest or even close, is still miles better than Lil Wayne.

My unpopular opinion:

I mentioned it already, but I'll say it again. Pink Floyd's The Wall is a better album than Dark Side of the Moon.

Yeah, I think I can get with The Wall being better than Dark Side of the Moon. In my experience, people get so caught up with Dark Side of the Moon being the best album of all time that they will their opinion to match it. I like both albums though.

The Beatles are simply weak versions of overlooked black groups in America at the time. Same thing with Elvis.

Alicia Keyes is extremely overrated. She's fairly mediocre, and the only reason why she is looked at highly is because she plays a piano.

Country is a good genre of music to listen to, but it seems that it's universally dissed. I've heard, "I listen to all kinds of music...except country," a million times now.
YES!

Michael Jackson, while a good singer, was not a great singer. Not a knock, just saying that there are much better singers.
I think most people would agree with that. But it wasn't his voice that people praise him for. It was the whole package.

Yeah, MJ had all you needed to be an entertainer. Hell even if he wasn't great on stage, he still put in some good work musically. *starts singing P.Y.T.*

I think there should be tighter restrictions on sampling. If I create a piece of music, someone shouldn't be able to take it, use it (probably in a manner that I wouldn't even approve of) without my permission or consent, give little to no acknowledgement to me & then not pay me a dime. It's bad enough when rappers do it but rappers by & large are not musicians & don't work with bands. Why are SINGERS doing it? Come up with your own damn beats, people!

Scarlett Johansson is no worse a singer than Zooey "indie-hipster wetdream" Deschenel.

6. While I love Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall imo was a much better, superior album than the Wall. I love it more because there were many parts in The Wall I can relate too (not the nazi parts lol though the songs were still great), and it also had a continuous story to it. The Wall is my #1 favorite album of all time.

I mentioned it already, but I'll say it again. Pink Floyd's The Wall is a better album than Dark Side of the Moon.

I think DSOTM is rated so highly because it feels like all of one piece, despite it being composed of very different ways of making music.
I remember on a UK tv show(ch 4) that compiled the votes of fans for the greatest albums of all time, and legendary DJ John Peel said that the piece of Dark side that had just played('On the run'), sounded more modern than any of the modern albums on the list, while stuff like the Stone Roses and Nirvana harked back to an earlier form of music and did nothing to progress it.

with the Wall, there is a more of a concious effort to make it all of one piece, instead of it fiting togther more organically like Dark side, almost by accident, it just being composed of the things the various musicians in the band were interested in. The Wall is almost a solo album by Waters, made more of a viable musical proposition by the input of Gilmore and Bob Ezrin(both of whom did not recieve proper credit by Waters, as Waters said to them during the making "Contribute whatever you want , but don't expect songwriting credits").
I think a lot of it is superb, really amazing bombastic, dark stuff, but other tims it gets a bit too pompus for it's own good, something like 'The Trial', which i used to like, but can't listen to these days.
'The Final Cut' though *is* a Waters solo album in all but name, he took his control one step further, which led to the prime line-up of Pink Floyd breaking up.
anyway, don't get me wrong, I can see why someone would prefer The Wall, but I can also see why Dark side gets voted in those kind of polls all the time, it is a tight album with no flab, my fav PF album is the first one though, Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

CW: Re: Elvis. I'm only really interested in those early Sun recording by him 'Mystery Train', 'Blue Moon', 'Blue Moon of Kentuky', etc. They have a natural live vital sound that the later big hits lost. 'Heartbreak Hotel', 'Jailhouse Rock' etc, they sound great, but are not as good as those first recordings which captured a certain spirit of invention and interpretation that got swallowed up and processed by the music machine into something a little less original and vital. Although they do retain some of the original performing spirit of the innocent, early, inventive Elvis there is an improvised, reckless spirit that is no longer there, as the recordings are of a more processed commercial sound, and structure.
If you hear the world famous song and hit, 'Blue Moon', you are probably going to hear the processed version, which sounds more commercial, but far less interesting, than the original Sun recording it originates from.
I had both versions, one on a 'greatest hits', one on 'The Sun recordings', they really do not compare, one sounds like it was as it was performed live, very warm natural sound, the other sounds like it was as it was mixed through machines for mass public consumption, fake echoey sfx etc.

Last edited:
I think DSOTM is rated so highly because it feels like all of one piece, despite it being composed of very different ways of making music.
I remember on a UK tv show(ch 4) that compiled the votes of fans for the greatest albums of all time, and legendary DJ John Peel said that the piece of Dark side that had just played('On the run'), sounded more modern than any of the modern albums on the list, while stuff like the Stone Roses and Nirvana harked back to an earlier form of music and did nothing to progress it.

with the Wall, there is a more of a concious effort to make it all of one piece, instead of it fiting togther more organically like Dark side, almost by accident, it just being composed of the things the various musicians in the band were interested in. The Wall is almost a solo album by Waters, made more of a viable musical proposition by the input of Gilmore and Bob Ezrin(both of whom did not recieve proper credit by Waters, as Waters said to them during the making "Contribute whatever you want , but don't expect songwriting credits").
I think a lot of it is superb, really amazing bombastic, dark stuff, but other tims it gets a bit too pompus for it's own good, something like 'The Trial', which i used to like, but can't listen to these days.

'The Final Cut' though *is* a Waters solo album in all but name, he took his control one step further, which led to the prime line-up of Pink Floyd breaking up.
anyway, don't get me wrong, I can see why someone would prefer The Wall, but I can also see why Dark side gets voted in those kind of polls all the time, it is a tight album with no flab, my fav PF album is the first one though, Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

I usually skip the trial when I listen to the wall, along with the songs with between Hey You and Comfortably Numb. Another reason why Dark Side is ranked higher because it was tighter albums with less songs. There aren't really any songs I would skip on Dark Side. But like I said, The Wall is an album is a more relatable album to me.

99% of all punk sucks and the only good punk is pop punk.
Springsteen and Mellencamp both suck.
Led Zep are overrated and were often terrible live.
The Doors were horribly overrated.
Pearl Jam was much better than Nirvana.
R & B hasn't been the same since Marvin Gaye's death.
Reggae is boring and repetitive.
Most critics darlings acts suck.
The Grateful Dead sucked. Always.
Most music critics are losers who couldn't play good enough to make it as musicians.
Van Halen were better with Sammy because he can actually sing.
Disco kicked ass.
The Kinks are maybe the most underrated British band of the 60's.
Robbie Robertson is a tremendous *****e.
Genesis sold out.
Buddy Guy is the best blues guitarist ever.
Aerosmith made some terrible records in the 80's after their comeback even though they were huge.
George Harrison had the best solo career of any former Beatle.
Ann Wilson is the most underrated female singer ever.
King Crimson were best with John Wetton.
Critics blasted many late 70's bands like REO or Boston for sounding alike; none of them sound a bit alike except maybe Foreigner sounds a bit like Bad Company.
Although great, Hendrix was not superior to any of his closest contemporaries (Clapton, Beck, etc).
Janis Joplin could not get a recording contract today because of her looks.
MTV ruined music by making image more important than music.
Jet does the retro rock bit better than Oasis.
Jann Wenner is a piece of ****.

Last edited:
The Doors were horribly overrated.

Out of 6 studio albums, I think they had 4 tight ones, and 2 that were batter than most others.
I think Morrison was probably overated as a live performer though. But I have seen one vid of them in the early pre-fame days and he was very good.

Pearl Jam was much better than Nirvana.

I have always thought of those guys are more of a corporate creation than natural band of musicians coming togther. Yes, this can lead to good groups, but some of these kind of bands can rely on production techniques rather than good strong songwriting. I remember reading that they had a *lot* of problems when it came to playing acoustically for the MTV sessions, and ending up cheating and playing electrically basically. Which to me suggests their songs relied a bit too much on bombastic studio effects and production, instead of being songs that were strong enough to come across well when they are stripped down to the basics. Nirvana relied on the loud/quiet sonic dynamic a lot, but they also had strong songs that could be played by any old busker on any old beat up acoustic guitar, and the strong writing would still come across.
Janis Joplin could not get a recording contract today because of her looks.

Well, if that were true, she would probably get some work done. Lady Gaga probably had the kind of problem you are talking about, it's a shame that this happens, but it does, she ended up getting a lot of work done.
Really, if Joplin just had her skin cleared up and had laid off the booze, she would have scrubbed up well, not saying that she would have been a Debbie Harry pin-up, but she would have looked about as good as some country singers etc, who are respected and don't sell the records off the back of their face, but off their raw talent.

Last edited:
The Doors have 8 studio albums, but only 6 with Morrison.

I felt most of their studio work was a mixed bag-they could be good and horrid on the same album.

Personally, I prefer Wish You Were Here to The Wall...

-Lady GaGa is a mediocre musician (at best) and terribley unattractive

-Every Jackson that isn't Michael owes their sucess TO Michael, even and especially Janet.

-Johnny Cash > Elvis

-Nirvanas only good album was Nevermind, and they wouldn't be considered the icons they are now if Kurt hadn't killed himself and instead made 2 or 3 more albums like "In Utero", which sucked.

-Stone Temple Piolots > Nirvana

-Prince was a better singer than Michael Jackson

- Biggie > 2Pac by a thousand miles...

The Doors have 8 studio albums, but only 6 with Morrison.

Actually, they have nine if you include 'An American Prayer', the one the did in '78, setting music to Morrison's previously recorded poetry.

But the original 6 done with Morrison when he was alive is what their reputation rests on, and what most people think of when gauging their contribution to rock's rich tapestry!

Other Voices and Full Circle are solid albums. They're hidden gems that some are reluctant to experience.

But An American Prayer is very forgettable.

Last edited:
Other Voices and Full Circle are solid albums. They're hidden gems that some are reluctant to experience.

I would listen to them in a heartbeat, but I just forget they exist tbh, I would listen to any of their solo albums as well, I saw Manzarek's 'The Golden Scarab' in a shop once but couldn't afford it, my god, what a cover, lol.
I heard one track from the post Morrison albums, 'treetrunk' iirc, didn't think much of it.
I imagine I'd at least get a kick out of some of the tracks.

But An American Prayer is very forgettable.

You're joking right, who could forget 'Lament for my ****'?, lol, but seriously, I quite like it, some great tracks on there, 'Curses, invocations', 'Ghost song', 'An American Prayer', 'I will never be untrue'(this rough version is much better than the slick studio version they put on the boxset), man, as a concept it could have went so wrong, but I think they did it some justice, it felt more respectful and reverential than all those posthumous Hendrix albums that flooded the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"