Alien: Romulus (2024)

The Alien novels over the past few years have been quite well written. I'd give someone like Alex White a shot at writing a script. Into Charybdis and The Cold Forge were great.

I think Covenant has some decent production design and values. I think Danny McBride is actually good playing a more serious role. There are a couple interesting moments, but they are few and far between, plus a very awful script and plot that just throws away the last film. Not to mention the first two Alien films that are seen as classics.

I really can't buy Katherine Waterstson as a character whose husband just died. She seems to get over it rather quickly. Like she literally just watched her husband get burned and incinerated alive while he was in a cryosleep pod. That should be f'n traumatic.

Scott was clearly more interested in the rogue AI/android stuff than he was about the Xenomorphs and the Engineers. All that got abandoned.

I'm completely mystified that his takeaway from Prometheus was that people were desperate to see the Xenomorphs again. Who said Prometheus even had to be a prequel to Alien anyway? It probably would've been even better if there were 0 connections to Alien at all.

Who said Prometheus even had to be a prequel to Alien anyway? It probably would've been even better if there were 0 connections to Alien at all.

Most likely Fox said, “Hey Ridley, if it’s connected to Alien you get 130M budget. If not, 70M. Take your pick.”

Most likely Fox said, “Hey Ridley, if it’s connected to Alien you get 130M budget. If not, 70M. Take your pick.”

Frankly, this might've even made the film better. Deadpool got the budget cut again right before release and they had to cut some more action as a result. That's what led to the scene of getting all the guns for a big shootout, but Dopinder gets caught with them.

Just saying, sometimes a lower budget forces genius and creativity.

I think Covenant has some decent production design and values. I think Danny McBride is actually good playing a more serious role. There are a couple interesting moments, but they are few and far between, plus a very awful script and plot that just throws away the last film. Not to mention the first two Alien films that are seen as classics.

I really can't buy Katherine Waterstson as a character whose husband just died. She seems to get over it rather quickly. Like she literally just watched her husband get burned and incinerated alive while he was in a cryosleep pod. That should be f'n traumatic.

Scott was clearly more interested in the rogue AI/android stuff than he was about the Xenomorphs and the Engineers. All that got abandoned.

I'm completely mystified that his takeaway from Prometheus was that people were desperate to see the Xenomorphs again. Who said Prometheus even had to be a prequel to Alien anyway? It probably would've been even better if there were 0 connections to Alien at all.
I agree.

Ridley was all excited about Prometheus being some paradise lost, promethean myth alien space scientist thing and when that didn't work out he just thought people wanted xenomorhps.

A Prometheus franchise could of worked with better writing as a Alien franchise spin off series but it didn't. Spahits script was seen as too generic and linedolf confused audiences by mystery boxing too much stuff. Ridley also seemed way less interested in the human characters in his two alien prequels.

Covenant was another evil android unleashes aliens except boring. That flute scene was awful.

I just hope they don't Alien 3 it and it's not another stuck in an isolated location sort of story. I wouldn't mind seeing the ambition of Prometheus and Covenant in terms of thematics but actually done much better.

With a Hulu budget, count on isolated location.

Going by the director too, it's very possible. I hope this movie doesn't make me look fondly back on Covenant, but we're living in a time where media has gotten worse so we're appreciating past flawed works.

Prometheus and The Dark Knight had some of my favourite viral marketing campaigns. I like a lot of the art design on Prometheus and the fact Ridley went back to some of those creepy body horror elements.

I'm not sure they will ever top the first two Alien films. Alien was a body horror/slasher in space and your never going to recapture that initial chestbusting moment. Aliens was Cameron doing Starship Troopers with the Alien franchise and has been duplicated so many times that any other attempt would feel redundant at this point.

I'm still down for them doing a galactic cold war with Weyland-Yunati using Aliens as bio weapons idea from early drafts of Alien 3 and the Dark Horse comics.

Looking forward to what Alvarez will do in this universe.

82920c89f45876def8c81c6861bec241876ef80e.gifv

I trust Alvarez more than Scott to handle this franchise. After Covenant, I’d much rather they go for a more grounded and small story.

I like Alvarez but he doesn't strike me as a particularly visionary director. Maybe what the franchise needs is someone that's just "good", but he's not exactly exciting either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"