Utopia - HBO Teaming With Gone Girl's David Fincher/Gillian Flynn

Rooney would have been a neat Jessica and Jason Ritter is always great but I'm sort of happy. The original UTOPIA is too awesome... HBO should just get a 3rd Series funded and co-air/take if over from C4.

The stunning single shots and coloring is what made it so special, and Fincher doesn't do either of those usually. He's best at quicker/trippy cuts and mood lighting/dark settings (while taking advantage of light)

Last edited:
Bummer, but the cast doesn't seem all that great (but it's fincher so who cares probably be great anyway)

Wonder how much he wanted if HBO couldn't make it work

Moving to Amazon Studios

Amazon Orders ‘Utopia’ Drama Series From Gillian Flynn Based On UK Format http://deadline.com/2018/04/utopia-series-amazon-studios-gillian-flynn-auk-format-1202367487/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter …

An U.S. adaptation of Utopia, written by Gone Girl author andscreenwriter Gillian Flynn, is back on. Amazon Studios has given a nine-episode straight-to-series order to the project, with Flynn as creator, executive producer and showrunner.

It will be the first project under an overall TV deal she has signed with Amazon Studios.

I don't know about this.

I like Utopia and don't really see the point of a remake. If anything they could of just continued the show by keeping a few original cast members and introducing a bunch of new ones. Season 2 ended in a way in which they could of done a soft semi reboot.

Last edited:
wtf have I just watched...

Well, the og is a masterpiece. It’s frustrating it’s not on any streaming platforms, I haven’t been able to share it with people for years. My initial files are 720 rips...

Love to see Desmin it in this, hesitant to Cusack (post 2008, to him). New Arby is trying to hard to be creepy, when old Arby was simply creepy.

One thing is for sure, the cinematography/directing isn’t as beautiful or challenging enough - let alone even trying to match the og.

I wonder who their Palpatine is?

This is up on Amazon now (8 episodes). I watched the first 2 so far and I like it enough to keep watching.

I literally knew nothing about it, I never even watched the trailer so I went in with a blank slate.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Jessica Rothe in it (loved her in Happy Death Day) and overall I like the cast.

I’m three in, it’s ok. Nothing “bad” about it, but there hasn’t been any cinematography or musical moments that have made my jaw drop like the original three episodes of the UK version. I hate not being able to share this masterpiece of a show over the past few years due to lack of streaming rights.

I honestly had no idea what the hell this even was until yesterday, but I saw that John Cusack, Rainn Wilson and Jessica Rothe were in it and decided to give it chance and man was I not prepared for this show.

It's pretty damn creepy just how timely and relevant this show is right now with all that's going on, but putting that aside I actually really enjoyed it, especially the last couple of episodes which I thought were flat out great and now I can't wait for a Season 2 which hopefully we do get.

The characters are all really well written for the most part and interesting in there own ways, especially the villains who made me feel genuinely uncomfortable and horrified every time they were on screen. The amount of hardcore/brutal violence was quite shocking at times too.

This version is too upfront about the virus/conspiracy... and plays up the mystery too much when it truly isn’t.

And, the comedy is severely lacking... outside of Grant and the occasional character moments.

It’s funny how the og Utopia crew are over on The Third Day, dropping amazing cinematography and rad story.

3 episodes in and I'm rather enjoying it, I've not seen the original though.

I really disliked the version of Jessica Hyde in the Amazon Utopia.

Jessica in the original was like a on the spectrum Sarah Connors. The Jessica in the remake is like a sociapth Kyle Reese.

The remake also spoon fed the audience the plot a bit too much.

Cusack was good. Wilson Wilson is real faithful to the original although his character evolution felt more believable in the original as you could see the change of his character over time.

The UK Utopia was on certain popular video hosting sites for years. You can probably still find it

Last edited:
Yeah, no ****. This looked awful. What a down grade from Fincer, Flynn and HBO to this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"