V for Vendetta or Batman Begins.

I enjoyed both but there two different people!!

but Batman Begins wins my vote

what's up with this "V was gay" thing?

ONCE AND FOR ALL, HE WAS NOT I REPEAT NOT GAY, HE FELT IN LOVE WITH EVEY AT THE END.

Some people like accusing others of being gay; noone knows why.

Batman Begins, but I liked both of the movies even though neither of them are great.

Wesyeed said:
v's probably better, though I haven't seen it. I could see the fight scenes clearly in the trailer so if it can beat begins there maybe the rest did as well.

this is what I said earlier. well i finally saw v and it's EASILY better than batman begins. Oh my god I will not believe a word from anyone who says begins is better than V, that's just not possible after what I saw. V is a damn classic... I want it.

Wow , this is one of the more difficult choices. Both movies are easily classics and both of them have minor flaws.

However in terms of story and acting ( which are THE MOST important aspects of cinema IMO) , V for Vendetta easily wins. There are just layers upon layers in V for Vendetta. You just keep seeing parallels with today's society as well as the fact that it does bode a somber prediction towards the future .

What i really liked in V for Vendetta and Batman Begins is that in both movies they explain what the value of a symbol is and the idea that such a symbol represents.

Bruce :
People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy and I can't do that as Bruce Wayne, as a man I'm flesh and blood I can be ignored I can be destroyed but as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting.

V :
A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. A symbol, in and of itself is powerless, but with enough people behind it, blowing up a building can change the world.

V:
Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Evey :
We are told to remember the idea, not the man. Because a man can fail. He can becaught, he can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world. I've witnessed firsthand the power of ideas. I've seen people kill in the name of them; and die defending them. But you cannot touch an idea, cannot hold it or kiss it. An idea does not bleed, it cannot feel pain, and it does not love. And it is not an idea that I miss, it is a man. A man who made me remember the fifth of November. A man I will never forget.

Both movies IMO are classics. Í can't wait to see what Nolan will do for the future of Batman franchise and WB itself ( *hint*hint SInger :p).
And i definately think it's time that the Wachowski's show just what they can do as the next generation of the young directors.
Same goes for James McTeigue ....( why won't ya direct Superman James :( )

Edit :
Oh and one more thing. On the whole V is gay thing.
No he's not gay. The camp that he was sent to ( Larkhill) was a camp where all kinds of people came. Colored people , gay's , non gays , commies etc etc.
If you've read the novel , you'll see the scenes with Delia Surridge where she's talking about the 5 rooms. In on of the rooms , there was a black guy who died , in another was Valerie as a lesbian and another had V. V clearlt isn't a homosexual in the movie as he does fall in love with Evey.
But he really isn't.

Still he does represent all of them , as the end scene of the movie shows. There are shots of everyone , blacs , whites , Delia , Derek and Valerie. It means that V is everyone .

I don't think V was gay either. I dont want my topic to get off the subject but for anyone to say w/ absolute certainty that V was not gay. Did not pay attention to the sutble signs of the movie or Does'nt want him to be.

What I mean by subtle signs is that the comedy sketch host guy eve had an appointment w/ was gay. He was cooking the same breakfast that V was cooking for eve. (I know that's a little weak... but wait.)

when he revealed his secret room to eve and that he was gay he said something he had to hide the fact he was a homosexual by having a reputation of being a womanizer but he wanted men. he also said
something like this.

"if you wear a mask long enough to hide you forget who you were underneath it."

Correct me if I'm wrong. But V did'nt remember anything about his life before the accident right?

So those people saying he fell in love w/ eve at the end of the movie so he's not gay.....

Sorry that fact is irrelevant.

If you lose an aspecto of who you are. You are a completely different person.

Again I dont care one way or the other. But No one knows for sure.

Are you referring to the explosion as the accident
Well i don't think that V forgets everything before the accident.
That would mean that he would never know about Valerie . ALso the lost arts , he would never know who really was responsible for the attack on the hospitals etc.

He does remember his life , but he doesn't want to tell EVey about it since. it takes away the idea what he should represent.

I liked V For Vendetta. But Batman gets my vote. I can still watch it and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time I saw it.

matrix_ghost said:
Are you referring to the explosion as the accident
Well i don't think that V forgets everything before the accident.
That would mean that he would never know about Valerie . ALso the lost arts , he would never know who really was responsible for the attack on the hospitals etc.

He does remember his life , but he doesn't want to tell EVey about it since. it takes away the idea what he should represent.

I thought he himself said he doesnt remember much about before that time. and I believe the accident was the experimentations on him. In that case he would remember Valerie. I'm 90% sure he said something about him not remembering much before his time there.

I could be wrong.

If there was a fight between V and batman, not only would I be able to see V's techniques, but he'd have stuck 5 knive through batman's head before batman could even slowly fumble around in his rubber suit to find a batarang.

So it looks like V for Vendetta is winning!

Action - V for Vendetta. Not only is it better than Batman Begins, but it's also one of the best, most visceral choreographed fight scenes I've seen in quite a while.

Acting - Batman Begins. Yes, might seem like sacrilige to some of you. The only shining performance in V for Vendetta was Hugo Weaving as V (ironic considering he was the only one without a face) while the rest were pretty monotone and wooden. Natalie Portman's was very much uneven across the board. Whereas Batman Begins had an all-round stronger showing by Neeson, Bale, Oldman, Murphy and Caine with some nice comic relief by Morgan Freeman to boot.

Screnplay - This one's an easy win for V. I need not even mention why. Smart writing all around.

Story - Batman Begins. A major cause for this is the fact that V for Vendetta's story had been incredibly "dumbed down" from the graphic novel iteration. It was no longer as complex and intriguing but rather fairly simple and straightforward. There are a few moments where the film really shines (such as during the Valerie subplot and any instance where the film is faithful to it's source material), but for a film about an increasingly complicated subject, it's often a self-parody of itself with it's pretentiously limited portrayal of the good and evil forces in the film and this really takes the snap out of the story. Plus the political references are so damned obvious, a 6-year old can easily figure them out. While Batman Begins scores for moving at a brisk pace inspite of a longer running time, a more involving story, having more soulful and fleshed out characters and a much more human and relatable protagonist.

Cinematography - Batman Begins by a mile. V for Vendetta was clearly shot on a limited budget and it shows. Where Batman has lush vistas and great all-encompassing wide angle shots, V for Vendetta is noticeably cramped and claustrophopic. The color palette is also less attractive and often, quite dull compared to Batman Begins.

Music - Again Batman Begins. Dario Marianelli's score is downright beautiful at times (most notably during Valerie's story) and Beethoven's symphonies are hard to beat anyway. But Batman Begins again has a better balanced score that is equally emotional, edgy, atmospheric and heroic at the same time. Guess it pays to have two high profile composers collaborating on your film.

Direction - James McTiegue's first foray into filmmaking as a director is definitely worthy of high praise, but Nolan shows that being a seasoned veteran with more than 3 films and 7 years of directorial experience under his belt has more than it's fair share of advantages.

Batman Begins for the win. :batman:

And if I might add, I noticed that V for Vendetta really loses a lot of steam after repeated viewing while the exact opposite is true for Batman Begins. The first time I saw V for Vendetta, I'd probably have rated it a solid 9 out of 10 but the more I see this film, the less I like it.

Fenrir where did you get your name from?

You forgot a remember.

Obviously, you didn't.

chosen1 said:
Fenrir where did you get your name from?

Norse Mythology and a videogame called Xenogears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"