V For Vendetta Box Office Tracking Thread

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
I only saw a BO forecast thread, so here we go.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2006-03-17&p=.htm

According to Box Office Mojo, V For Vendetta had an estimated opening opening day of $8.3 million. If that holds up, I think that will put it in the $25-30 million range for the weekend.

Interestingly enough the movie was released around the same time as the 3 year anniversary of the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

That opening day is more likely to get it to an opening weekend of $ 21-23 million.

24-27 million this weekend. No matter what, the film will be a hit. The production budget of the film was only 50 million. Let's say marketing was 20 million ( I doubt that). This film will gross probably around 65-70 million domestically. Add worldwide gross and DVD sales and WB will turn a pretty good profit off this film...

Everything is looking good. Although, I would've liked a 30 million opening weekend for this gem.

I saw it and I almost walked out. It shouldn't gross anything.

Marcus M. said:

First: LMFAO!!

Second: You must be more dense than Osmium.

Third: Get the **** out of the V forum if you have nothing to say about it.

gamma ray he's expressing an opinion... no need for direct insults, that's really quite sad of you to do.

lol so what if he's in a V forum, he's allowed to say whatever he wants about the film he saw, if he hated it and actually genuinely did walk out then fine, who are you to go on and say get the **** out of the forum... this forum is not just for fans but for anyone who saw the movie and wants to express an opinion

grow up buddy..

I'm just coming from my first view(22.30)...and the theatre was packed...
so i really don't think it will bomb. And i saw many people discussing the movie on the exit, this is the kind of movie you recommend friends to watch so it is good to not have it publicized much (at least here in Italy)

Marcus M. said:

Evidently there was something about it that you liked, you stayed and watched the entire film. :)

Gamma Ray said:

Take it easy. This is not the kind of film everyone is going to love. It can be quite polarizing.

And yeah, 23-27 million for the weekend is probably a more accurate estimate.

Howlett, a movie like this has a marketing budget of at LEAST $30 million.

Also, we rarely see the media take distribution budgets into account. Making thousands of prints for movies, some that need tons of different international subtitles is NOT cheap.

the movie was great, hope it does real well.

If this movie bombs,will it have any effect on future comicbook adaptations?league of ex gentleman was a huge bomb.(i kinda liked it)

Marcus M. said:

I personally would like to know why. If it was because of your political ideology I think it is a shame that you would allow it to effect your view on the movie. You will not find another (reasonable) person out there more conservative than me on many issues, however I truly, absolutly, loved this film entirly.

Well the movie probably isn't going to flop.

And Hollywood will still keep making comic book movies.

You know that if the movie turns out to be a big success, WB will announce the production of Watchmen in a couple of weeks?

I bet this will make a gross of $60 to $65 million total just because of the R rating and the contreversial subject. I bet this is going to be huge on DVD though.

The weekend estimate is up on Box Office Mojo: $ 26.1 million. It had a good Friday-to-weekend multiplier.

Well that is a good opening , so it'll make it's budget back .
The real question is , will it have legs ?

I'm sure alot of people , including myself , want this movie to get an audience and the more money it makes at the BO the more people will have seen it.

Edit :
But i want to know if that is with or without the IMAX sales. That is where this movie will probably have it's legs. It worked for Batman Begins. It might work for V For Vendetta as well

Antonello Blueberry said:
You know that if the movie turns out to be a big success, WB will announce the production of Watchmen in a couple of weeks?
No. Watchmen ain't going to be cheap.

Plus, unless V For Vendetta has an absolutely fabulous second weekend, its not going to make near the amounts everyone here predicted it would.

Generally, most comic book movies drop 50% or more in their second weekend. Just about all of them do save for the Spider-man films. Even Sin City, which opened up much stronger than V For Vendeta and made around...what? 70 million, 75 million?

V For Vendetta should end up with a domestic gross of at least $ 65 million, and probably not more than $ 85 million. It'll be neither a breakout smash hit nor a flop, just a solid performer that will turn a profit for its studio.

I don't think any future greenlights for comic book projects are tied to the box office performance of this film. The box office of X3 and Superman Returns, on the other hand, will likely have a lot of influence over decisions of which comic book projects get greenlit.

TheVileOne said:

Plus, unless V For Vendetta has an absolutely fabulous weekend, its not going to make near the amounts everyone here predicted it would.

Generally, most comic book movies drop 50% or more in their second weekend. Just about all of them do save for the Spider-man films. Even Sin City, which opened up much stronger than V For Vendeta and made around...what? 70 million, 75 million?

Should VfV prove to be a solid performer both domestic and international , then i guess warner could go on and make it.True Watchmen ain't gonna be cheap , but if you are a effective producer who knows how to bring down the cost of a movie then you can make a "proper watchmen " movie.

A weekend generally doesn't say much about a movie , it's the legs that a movie has.
I mean look at Walk The Line. It opened against Harry Potter ( if i remember correctly) yet it still grossed the 100 million mark .

V obviouls has the R rating which limits it reaching the 100 million mark.
But having it open in IMAX is a good thing

Gamma Ray said:

Seems like he had plenty to say... Mainly... He didn't like it. :rolleyes:

matrix_ghost said:
Should VfV prove to be a solid performer both domestic and international , then i guess warner could go on and make it.True Watchmen ain't gonna be cheap , but if you are a effective producer who knows how to bring down the cost of a movie then you can make a "proper watchmen " movie.

I still think Watchmen is unfilmable and I don't want to see Hollywood ruin it. I found V to be disappointing.

Plus, last I heard, Watchmen got axed and is in creative limbo.

V For Vendetta opening up to $26 million doesn't say, "WATCHMEN GETS A GREENLIGHT".

You know what the opening weekend was for LXG? $23 million. With inflation, lowering movie attendance, and raising ticket prices...both movies essentially opened up the same.

A weekend generally doesn't say much about a movie , it's the legs that a movie has.

My point is most comic book movies at the BO save for the Spider-man films do not have long legs. Almost all of them have a 50% or more dropoff in the second weekend.

I mean look at Walk The Line. It opened against Harry Potter ( if i remember correctly) yet it still grossed the 100 million mark .

Walk The Line is NOT a legitimate comparison. It was an oscar season movie. Its about Johnny Cash, who is well known to many people throughout the spectrum. Walk The Line gets people from Middle-America as well as big cities to see it. It has big stars like Reese Witherspoon in it. It also wasn't R-rated either.

In other words, Walk The Line had inherent broad appeal that V For Vendetta does not.

Plus it had two holiday weekends where lots more people are going to the movies and needed alternative programming for Harry Potter, Narnia, etc.

V obviouls has the R rating which limits it reaching the 100 million mark.
But having it open in IMAX is a good thing

IMAX doesn't make much of a difference. V isn't really the type of movie people are going to go out of their way to see on I-max.

TheVileOne said:

Plus, unless V For Vendetta has an absolutely fabulous weekend, its not going to make near the amounts everyone here predicted it would.

Watchmen was budgeted at 100 millions. WB is waiting to see if the public is receptive to this kind of material, dark comic-book with a political subtext, to greenlight it.
James McTeigue is lobbying to be the director of the Watchmen movie.
And we're not talking of a blockbuster kind of comi-book movie like X-Men. Word of mouth is good, even in Italy I heard from a couple of persons that the theatres showing V are packed. So I'm not sure if we'll see such a dramatic drop next week.

Antonello Blueberry said:
Watchmen was budgeted at 100 millions. WB is waiting to see if the public is receptive to this kind of material, dark comic-book with a political subtext, to greenlight it.

We'll see. I don't think the studio is going to just cough up $100 million for a movie like Watchmen without trying to make a lot of changes to it or get it at a more PG-13 level.

The moviegoing public seemed pretty receptive to Sin City, but again, that one was made for cheaper than most comic book movies, and it still only made less than $80 million.

James McTeigue is lobbying to be the director of the Watchmen movie. And we're not talking of a blockbuster kind of comi-book movie like X-Men. Word of mouth is good, even in Italy I heard from a couple of persons that the theatres showing V are packed. So I'm not sure if we'll see such a dramatic drop next week.

That's overseas. V is probably the type of movie that will play well in Europe and overseas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"