Variety: As Marvel Studios Moves Into Series, TV Unit’s Focus Is Unclear

I think Iron Fist needs to be rebooted. The history of the character plus the martial arts were a disgrace. Iron Fist is second only to Shang Chi and that never comes across in the show. Daredevil is better at martial arts than IF.

The problem is Iron Fist comes from the universe of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Kingpin. Characters I absolutely love. So you reboot one character you are effectively killing the continuity of the other characters.

Yeah, it's all or nothing.

I'm liking it better on my second watch, but it was indeed nowhere near as good as season 1.

Why, exactly, is it "all or nothing"? It is entirely possible to reboot one character ( or show ) without rebooting all the rest. All you do is have all the other characters pretend that the rebooted hero is the way he was all along. There, done.

There is a difference between recasting and rebooting. Edward Norton and Terrence Howard have already seen their characters recast.

What do we want to change about Danny Rand's history to force a reboot?

Usually in the comics when a new team takes over and they revisit something from the origin, the character looks different with a different artist and the previous events are depicted slightly differently, but the main story beats remain the same.

If a transition is made to another medium under another team with a live action character like Iron Fist I'd be able to live with similar changes.

Feige wont be tied down to Loeb's depiction of Kun Lun, Danny's casting and his supporting character. He wasn't tied down to Garfield as spider-man and demanded a new take and he is not gonna be tied down to FOX-men. If Deadpool appears intact in the MCU it's because Iger or someone else will have demanded it.

Anyone who expects Feige to be handcuffed by hours of stry and plot developments, castings and creative calls, supporting casts and villains is naive. He is gonna reboot EVERYONE. Good or bad, it is what it is. He is not gonna inherit Colter, Ritter or Jones and not having a say in the creative process of those characters. And he certainly will ant bigger names for those characters.

I see it like this

Iron Fist
1. The magical city of Kun Lun - It's just as grand as Asgard or Wakanda
2. Iron Fist gets his power from a FREAKING DRAGON
3. Iron Fist martial art prowess is almost super human

That is tailor-made for a big-budget show or movie.
Marvel Studios shouldn't be beholden to a terrible TV show.
The downside is if they made this TV show/movie it then means show I love like Daredevil and Luke Cage (I don't give a **** what other people say I freaking loved LC) are no longer canon.

I could see Sam Claflin as MCU Matt Murdock

3rKwM05.jpg

Kun Lun was barely in the show outside of like 3 rooms. Feige really could do anything he wanted with it and contradict very little. If anything.

Feige is present alongside the director and Sarah Haley Finn in EVERY SINGLE ONE screentest and final casting for every major mcu hero. This has been reported several times.

And now people want to believe that Feige with all the talent pool, reputation and money at his disposal is gonna be handcuffed by loebs casting decisions and he is not gonna pick better actors for iron fist, luke luge, Colleen Wing etc? Why? So he wont upset the netflix fans which are 5% of the moviegoing audience? All their supporting casts have been casted and feige wont take advantage of his resources to cast bigger names?

Name me an mcu movie that doesnt does at least an oscar nominated/winner as his lead or as a supporting character. I will wait....

I love the Daredevil series, but I'm already sick of the #savedaredevil campaign.

Kun Lun was barely in the show outside of like 3 rooms. Feige really could do anything he wanted with it and contradict very little. If anything.

But the lore was mangled on both its show and especially the Defenders. If Fiege wants to go in a direction not laid out by the show, they will not want to be held back by what these shows have done. Same goes for all of the characters.

But the lore was mangled on both its show and especially the Defenders. If Fiege wants to go in a direction not laid out by the show, they will not want to be held back by what these shows have done. Same goes for all of the characters.

I don't think the lore was mangled beyond repair either. Again, it wasn't seen and we really didn't learn much about it other than their history with the Hand. I don't see a problem. It's a fairly blackblank slate.

I see a lot of problems epsecially with Feige being handcuffed to an entire casted show that he had no hand on approving the actors. Unless people think that the director is the only one with final say in the MCU movies.

So Feige is gonna stick with an unremarkable actor like Jones or an ok tv actor like Colter for Cage and Danny for what reason exactly? So a couple of fans that are a drop in the ocean compared to the movie audience wont throw a tantrum?

This is not how Feige works. We know its his way or the high way. He made Iger kick Perlmutter out of Marvel Studios, he made sure Arad had no say in the MCU Spider-man movies, he took Moon Knight away from Loeb when Loeb REALLY wanted him and he probably took Ghost Rider as well. He hasnt referenced ONE Marvel TV show except the one which he was involved in as an EP.

Not one. And suddenly he is gonna keep Loeb's baggage and integrate it in HIS MCU. People need to wake up...

I see a lot of problems epsecially with Feige being handcuffed to an entire casted show that he had no hand on approving the actors. Unless people think that the director is the only one with final say in the MCU movies.

So Feige is gonna stick with an unremarkable actor like Jones or an ok tv actor like Colter for Cage and Danny for what reason exactly? So a couple of fans that are a drop in the ocean compared to the movie audience wont throw a tantrum?

This is not how Feige works. We know its his way or the high way. He made Iger kick Perlmutter out of Marvel Studios, he made sure Arad had no say in the MCU Spider-man movies, he took Moon Knight away from Loeb when Loeb REALLY wanted him and he probably took Ghost Rider as well. He hasnt referenced ONE Marvel TV show except the one which he was involved in as an EP.

Not one. And suddenly he is gonna keep Loeb's baggage and integrate it in HIS MCU. People need to wake up...

Yeah because Feige was really handcuffed when he cast Terrence Howard, or Edward Norton, or that guy that played Fandral.

Oh wait, you mean he replaced those people? So what you're saying is, Feige doesn't necessarily have to keep every member of the cast?

Yeah because Feige was really handcuffed when he cast Terrence Howard, or Edward Norton, or that guy that played Fandral.

Oh wait, you mean he replaced those people? So what you're saying is, Feige doesn't necessarily have to keep every member of the cast?

But they played the same character in the same continuity. Keepting certain actors from the Netflix shows means either validating the storylines that happened as canon or possibly confusing viewers on what is or isn't.

Say Fiege wants to do a Heroes for Hire movie that features Luke and Danny teaming up for the first time, or Danny being in a relationship with Misty. The Netflix shows feature events that are contradictory and restrictive, and a full clean slate reboot like with Spiderman, Fantastic Four and X-Men would be the way to go.

I don't think the lore was mangled beyond repair either. Again, it wasn't seen and we really didn't learn much about it other than their history with the Hand. I don't see a problem. It's a fairly blackblank slate.

What we did see was pretty bad. Kun-Lun was ultra dark, the Order of the Crane Mother, Bride of Nine Spiders, Davos, etc. were all treated pretty terribly that wouldn't make something like an adaptation of Immortal Iron Fist even make sense if you keep the show canon.

But they played the same character in the same continuity. Keepting certain actors from the Netflix shows means either validating the storylines that happened as canon or possibly confusing viewers on what is or isn't.

Say Fiege wants to do a Heroes for Hire movie that features Luke and Danny teaming up for the first time, or Danny being in a relationship with Misty. The Netflix shows feature events that are contradictory and restrictive, and a full clean slate reboot like with Spiderman, Fantastic Four and X-Men would be the way to go.

What we did see was pretty bad. Kun-Lun was ultra dark, the Order of the Crane Mother, Bride of Nine Spiders, Davos, etc. were all treated pretty terribly that wouldn't make something like an adaptation of Immortal Iron Fist even make sense if you keep the show canon.

Why can't Misty and Danny be in a relationship if he wanted it? Just make them a couple then. It happened sometime between show and whenever he appears next. It's really not that difficult and he's really not that limited

There is a difference between recasting and rebooting. Edward Norton and Terrence Howard have already seen their characters recast.

What do we want to change about Danny Rand's history to force a reboot?

Assuming that we put down all the terrible aspects of Danny's personality as being within the scope of recasting and redirection? The main thing that would need changing in a reboot is Kun-Lun. They built a version of Kun-Lun that is almost completely lacking any recognizable aspect from the comics, and then they blew it up. Iron Fist can become a better character just via better writing, but the only way to get anything worthwhile out of Kun-Lun requires outright rewriting the past.

Why can't Misty and Danny be in a relationship if he wanted it? Just make them a couple then. It happened sometime between show and whenever he appears next. It's really not that difficult and he's really not that limited

Simone Missick is the lead on All Rise (with Bullseye and Gypsy) so she's not going to want to be involved as Misty Knight anymore unless her show gets axed.

Simone Missick is the lead on All Rise (with Bullseye and Gypsy) so she's not going to want to be involved as Misty Knight anymore unless her show gets axed.

So recast then. Not like the MCU hasn't done that before

So recast then. Not like the MCU hasn't done that before

But you also keep the baggage of Luke and Misty having a relationship. Also you ignored my other point about a hypothetical scenario where Fiege wanted to do a Heroes for Hire movie with Luke and Danny teaming up for the first time. With the Netflix shows being kept canon, you can't do that. You are restricted by what came before and by people who are not part of your team making decisions that turned out both good and bad.

Marvel TV and Marvel Studios are two different entities. This can be seen on things as simple as the TV shows featuring the Marvel logo, while Marvel Studios movies and Disney+ feature "Marvel Studios" above their logos. Marvel TV is a part of Marvel Entertainment (that answers to Ike Perlmutter) while Marvel Studios answers to Alan Horn. Only show that got acknowledged was Agent Carter, which Fiege executive produced.

It's very likely they will go for a full reboot like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and X-Men. It opens up a whole canvas for them to go in whatever direction they like and use whatever storyline they want.

But you also keep the baggage of Luke and Misty having a relationship. Also you ignored my other point about a hypothetical scenario where Fiege wanted to do a Heroes for Hire movie with Luke and Danny teaming up for the first time. With the Netflix shows being kept canon, you can't do that. You are restricted by what came before and by people who are not part of your team making decisions that turned out both good and bad.

The MCU has worked better when not doing origins and working off the heroes already having been active for X amount of time. See Spider-Man and Black Panther. So Danny and Luke already being a team works better based on past track record. So non-issue.

Marvel TV and Marvel Studios are two different entities. This can be seen on things as simple as the TV shows featuring the Marvel logo, while Marvel Studios movies and Disney+ feature "Marvel Studios" above their logos. Marvel TV is a part of Marvel Entertainment (that answers to Ike Perlmutter) while Marvel Studios answers to Alan Horn. Only show that got acknowledged was Agent Carter, which Fiege executive produced.

It's very likely they will go for a full reboot like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and X-Men. It opens up a whole canvas for them to go in whatever direction they like and use whatever storyline they want.

Unlike TASM, FF, and X-Men, these shows were created with the existence of the MCU in mind, so it is not the same thing. People keep trying to sell me on this notion, but it is 100% different. Direct cross over or not, MCU events, locations, etc are referenced in these shows. I don't care if Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment are 2 entities. Also, Agents of SHIELD got a sort of acknowledgement in FFH with Fury using the TAHITI technology we saw on AoS on the space station. Not quite the same level of easter egg, but still a reference.

Speaking of Hulk and War Machine, I find it interesting that the statuses of both characters in the MCU is unknown at this point as well as the statuses of Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle in these movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"