Comics Venom by Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman

shinlyle

King of the Haters
Reaction score
Okay, I can't be the only one reading this title! If I am, for shame, doc!!

Okay, first off, we've got a story that isn't totally dependent on Spider-Man for providing drama, and that's a plus. Also, there isn't a Wolverine/Punisher/Juggernaut/Morbius appearance shoehorned in to give Venom someone to fight.
For those that haven't read it, it gets deeper into the mythology of the svmbiotes, as well as the arrival of their "god". Lots of action, lots of horror, lots of drama...and it's all beautifully rendered by Ryan Stegman. Seriously, if you find the trade, and want something awesome, this is it.

Thoughts? Comments? Coupons for free doughnuts from Krispy Kreme? ( I can dream, can't i?!)

I read the first issue. It didn't capture me at all and I dropped it. Kept up with reviews if it though and to me, it seems like a case of over explanation for things that never were asked to be explained.
We had Planet of the Symbiotes back in the 90s and that was awesome and no more really need to be done. Then we had the hack bendis screw up the Symbiotes. And ignore history.

But like you with Venom, I feel like I was the only one reading Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider

I'd prefer Dunkin Donuts coupons though. ;)
This...means....WAR!!

Kidding. I just prefer a little doughnut with my sugar. :D

Venom has been great. It felt like over-explanation to me at first, too, but I just enjoy them delineating him from Spider-Man in the comics a little bit. Otherwise, we all start just waiting for the inevitable return of Venom to outright villainy. Now, that may be a foregone conclusion, but I at least want to see Eddie and the symbiote genuinely blaze their own path. Venom tried to kill Spidey and failed. Either put him back on an island like they did at the end of ASM 347, or let him be more.

Oh, by the way, my son saw a Scarlet Spider Marvel Legends toy at Gamestop the other day and flipped. He loves that suit, even if I'm not its biggest fan. Although I love drawing it.

I'll have to take a picture of my Scarlet Spider figure collection. I have nearly every single one. I'm missing two statues. :(

I'll have to take a picture of my Scarlet Spider figure collection. I have nearly every single one. I'm missing two statues. :(
Awesome! I have a Spidey collection. Not sure how impressive it is to others, but I love it. My daughter has an incredible Spider-Gwen collection. She actually got a bunch of money for her birthday, so she went and bought the Scottie Young Baby Spider-Gwen statue. Not many kids will do that with their money. (Better than Shopkins or Hatchimals or whatever!)

Me, I'm still a sucker for anything Venom or Black Suit Spider-man. The one really awesome thing to come from the Venom movie is all the Venom merchandise I see! Marvel Legends figures, shirts, hoodies...

When I saw Venom I went to regal. They had a plastic Venom tub for popcorn and a plastic Venom cup.
I bought both.

When I saw Venom I went to regal. They had a plastic Venom tub for popcorn and a plastic Venom cup.
I bought both.
I would have, too!
Also, I saw the new Carnage came out, and they wasted NO time resurrecting Kasady and getting he and the symbiote back together. THANKFULLY. Maybe they can soon get the Norman/Peter dynamic back in place, too...or just kill off Norman once and for all. I still haven't read one story since his return that justifies him being alive.
They tie the new Carnage book into the Venom mini-series quite heavily.

I actually liked when he owned the Bugle after he came back.
Wouldn't he still technically own it?
Jameson, as far as I can remember, never bought it back. Then that Cooper guy? Was that his name? Randomly owned it.

I actually liked when he owned the Bugle after he came back.
Wouldn't he still technically own it?
Jameson, as far as I can remember, never bought it back. Then that Cooper guy? Was that his name? Randomly owned it.

Wait, you found a hole in the plot of the Brand New Day era, AND the pre-reboot era??!!?!

Kidding.

Yeah, I think it's another plot device that loses its "oomph". It's like seeing Captain America's "indestructible" shield broken every 5 years in a story where "nothing will ever be the same". Or maybe Thor's "indestructible" hammer broken. Or Wolverine's "indestructible" claws broken. Basically, theses things have all lost their shock value. I think that's why I miss the Ultimate Universe. There was SO much opportunity for a universe with real change. Peter was killed (but they brought him back), Gwen was killed (but they brought her back), and then Ock was killed (but he stayed dead).

Oh, I guess comics is comics, after all. :/

Okay. I picked up the next couple of issues of Venom. Now that we're past the Knull arc, it looks like we're getting a little more mystery, and it's pretty well done. i did NOT know that The Maker (Ultimate Reed Richards) was a thing, but okay. Anyways, we see a pretty awesome Eddie break-out scene, we get an awesome little farewell to Flash Thompson's Agent Venom, and we get crackin' towards a new arc. Cool.
I just don't know if I'll stay along for the ride. We FINALLY got the symbiote and Eddie with their own distinct personalities, and now the symbiote is silenced, and it's hard to stay invested. So, we'll see. Stegman's art still kills.

Also, I picked up the Carnage Reborn issue.
ooOoooOoooOOokay. Looks like Carnage is resurrected, and we'll be seeing Casady hunting down every hero to ever be bonded with a symbiote, and killing them. Interesting, but there are about 10 characters on that list I could actually see them letting Carnage kill. The rest are totally safe. Art was pretty solid, also.
I think Amazing Spider-Man being as good as it has been has spoiled me. Also, that first arc was tops. It's going to a tough one for Cates and Stegman to top!

Carnage vs Ben Reilly! Round four!
Power and responsibility
Planet of the Symbiotes
Web of Carnage
New Carnage series

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member