Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Well, sh*t!
I called it being Gwen a couple years ago. In fact, I even called it being multiple Kindreds!
Go look at the thread on Superhero hype.com!

But it may be another fake-out and wind up being Sara.

But I was completely right about one thing... There are multiple
Kindreds!

All caught up. Interesting stuff with the
retcon of Norman/Mephisto/Harry. Hope that ties into the OMD stuff? Not sure how I feel about another twist with Kindred but I'm curious to see where that goes.

All caught up. Interesting stuff with the
retcon of Norman/Mephisto/Harry. Hope that ties into the OMD stuff? Not sure how I feel about another twist with Kindred but I'm curious to see where that goes.
Did you happen to see the spoiler on CBR for the next issue?

Did you guys read LIFE STORY ANNUAL #1? Gah, I missed this. I usually can only find myself really enjoying a Spidey comic if of course, it's coming from Peter's perspective. It was really nice, intimate, and resonant to follow JJJ on this one. Bagley's work in this issue in particular was exceptional. The ending wasn't perfect to me, but the issue was a 4/5 to me. Highly recommend especially if you read the series.

Well, sh*t!
I called it being Gwen a couple years ago. In fact, I even called it being multiple Kindreds!
Go look at the thread on Superhero hype.com!

But it may be another fake-out and wind up being Sara.

But I was completely right about one thing... There are multiple
Kindreds!

So, why is Marvel spoiling storylines again?

So far in his run Spencer has fooled me several times with twists. I'm not going to fully buy into this reveal being who Kindred is until I read the final page of issue 875/74. I do like the idea that there are multiple versions of Kindred though. In my mind, there's gotta be another twist coming. With that said, I wouldn't quite say that Marvel is spoiling things.

Did you guys read LIFE STORY ANNUAL #1? Gah, I missed this. I usually can only find myself really enjoying a Spidey comic if of course, it's coming from Peter's perspective. It was really nice, intimate, and resonant to follow JJJ on this one. Bagley's work in this issue in particular was exceptional. The ending wasn't perfect to me, but the issue was a 4/5 to me. Highly recommend especially if you read the series.

I loved it!

After going back through the beginning...
The first 15 issue show
Three different Kindreds.
One with a Green/Grey coat.
One with a White coat.
One with a Purple coat.

Aaaaaaaand we have it - Sins Past is freaking UNDONE. Retcon baby! Is OMD Next?
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
Time to celebrate… How many years have we waited for this?
I really hope they go where I think they’re going in …

Spencer’s run has been pretty bad for me lately. And this issue is so convoluted…
Seriously, I didnt like Sinister War at all. They hace been putting out too many issues and it feels both rushed and too streched. There are also too many artists, and most of them are pretty bad… I hope Marvel starts to publish some good Spider-man comics again soon…

And yet, the fact that they retconed that… It made it all worth it. Thank you, Spencer. All is forgiven :applaud
Fingers crossed that they retcon OMD in a couple of weeks…:hehe:

Spencer’s run has been pretty bad for me lately. And this issue is so convoluted…
Seriously, I didnt like Sinister War at all. They hace been putting out too many issues and it feels both rushed and too streched. There are also too many artists, and most of them are pretty bad… I hope Marvel starts to publish some good Spider-man comics again soon…

And yet, the fact that they retconed that… It made it all worth it. Thank you, Spencer. All is forgiven :applaud
Fingers crossed that they retcon OMD in a couple of weeks…:hehe:

Totally agree on all of your points 100%

Okay, maybe I'm just dumb, but can someone actually explain this issue to me?
I feel so lost and confused.
I get the main story points... But is it
Sara or Harry or just the A.I.?

Okay, maybe I'm just dumb, but can someone actually explain this issue to me?
I feel so lost and confused.
I get the main story points... But is it
Sara or Harry or just the A.I.?

Sara is a clone, OMD Harry is a clone. OG Harry died, but before he did - He made the Norman / Harry AI. The AI worked with Mysterio and Mendel Stromm to brainwash Norman / MJ to believe Sins Past had happened. Mysterio was also brainwashed to believe he died (He didn’t)

So we’re waiting to find out the deal with Kindred still. (Seems like AI so far, but we don’t know the full story re his soul yet) As well as the deal that Norman made with Mephisto, and how it affected Harry. (Post Death)

Last edited:
I mean, anyone complaining about a retcon of THAT story being convoluted is unfortunately something I don't think could have been avoided. Every single one of the fan theories I've read over the years were equally messy. It's such a garbage story to begin with that any attempt to undo that story was going to be an utter s**t show. How do you write something that explains Norman and MJ lying to Peter without making MJ into a monster. It's a daunting task.

I'm just glad it's finally done away with...it's been far too long. There's just one more story that needs to also be eradicated...

There was no back door for THAT story, it was going to be messy regardless. I can’t even be mad about quality as the end result makes it worth it!

So, with Spencer's last issue next week, and Marvel tease/spoiling the previous issue, does anyone think that they'll do it again before this coming Wednesday?

If so, how bad?

I mean, they've gotta be pissed at him for leaving for whatever substack is...

Here's hoping that the forum will become more active once we go back to 3x a week.

ASM 74/875...

I'm not sure what to say...I have enjoyed Spencer's run and I still enjoyed this final issue. However, it's not quite the ending I was wanting...still good imo but not the 'fist-pumping in the air' type of ending. Part of me is thinking editorial may have stepped in at some point and made changes...I have a feeling there was a desire to push things past the new Beyond story in order to gain readers. That's just me though.

That's all I'm gonna say, for now. I'll discuss further once everyone is all caught up.

ASM 74/875...

I'm not sure what to say...I have enjoyed Spencer's run and I still enjoyed this final issue. However, it's not quite the ending I was wanting...still good imo but not the 'fist-pumping in the air' type of ending. Part of me is thinking editorial may have stepped in at some point and made changes...I have a feeling there was a desire to push things past the new Beyond story in order to gain readers. That's just me though.

That's all I'm gonna say, for now. I'll discuss further once everyone is all caught up.

I’m totally there with you.

- Art was fine. Not great. Good example how Marvel / DC are falling behind …

- Pleased with the story, but defo a step down from Spidey’s ‘Epic Standard’

How much was down to Spencer leaving early? I do have to wonder …
Tbh; I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel killed his mojo (as they often do with their best selling creators)

This retcon was needed for the fans. Respect to him for figuring this out, forcing this upon JQ, and making it work. But it was made with an agenda. This very rarely creates passionate, organic storytelling. Just like OMD.

So yeah. Super happy but a very mixed bag.

Immediately showing us Peter being taken off the table, and replacing him with Reilly, at the end of the story - Bad idea IMO. Took the wind right outta the ending

I’m totally there with you.

- Art was fine. Not great. Good example how Marvel / DC are falling behind …

- Pleased with the story, but defo a step down from Spidey’s ‘Epic Standard’

How much was down to Spencer leaving early? I do have to wonder …
Tbh; I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel killed his mojo (as they often do with their best selling creators)

This retcon was needed for the fans. Respect to him for figuring this out, forcing this upon JQ, and making it work. But it was made with an agenda. This very rarely creates passionate, organic storytelling. Just like OMD.

So yeah. Super happy but a very mixed bag.

Immediately showing us Peter being taken off the table, and replacing him with Reilly, at the end of the story - Bad idea IMO. Took the wind right outta the ending

Honestly, with Marvel, I always point to Mark Waid. That dude would always get a job, and be halfway fired from it before he got to his second arc. The fans would love it, but it wasn't "EVENT" enough for them. I think Daredevil was the only time he got to do a run without a "Heroes Reborn" style split in the middle of it or something. Cap, FF (almost canned, but then they gave the FF a second title), and his Spider-Man run which never even happened because of One More Day...

And that's just one writer. DC did the same thing with Tom King on Batman. They pulled him off early, wouldn't let him do anything big that couldn't be easily undone, and poof.

As for the artwork, I'm sure it's moderate-to-fine. With the exception of the Stegmans and Ottleys and Gleasons that occasionally pop up at Marvel, I've gotten quite used to mediocre interior artwork with jaw-dropping covers on the front. Sadly...

No, I haven't read it yet...but I hope to make it to the shop in the next week or two to catch up!

After finally finishing this 3-year run....ugh...I just don't know what to say.
Geez.
Imo, Spencer is gotta be THE WORST writer to ever write a Spider-Man comic, I swear. Sure, there's been a plenty of awful writers, such as Mackie and Slott for example, but at least their stories, despite not being good, felt like they were written by actual writers and not some amateur who just took the pen for the first time.
When I was like 8 or 9, I used to write and draw my own comics (everyone's gotta have a hobby, I guess lol). They were probably fine for a 8 year old kid, but as you can guess, they obviously weren't some genius-level works, but I swear they were just about the same quality as Spencer's comics.

I don't know what else to say. That's just objectively a low-quality writing. Not just that issue, but his whole run as well. Nothing in it run holds any weight, everything sorta just happens and doesn't feel earned (except for that Felicia moment on the roof), no revelation feels shocking or like an actual revelation, pointless resurrections that serve no purpose and only ruining characters' legacies (seriously, does anybody even thinks that what Spencer has done with Sin-Eater wasn't a complete idiocy?), poorly thought out retcons that somehow end up being even worse and more complicated than the stories he's retconning and do more damage to the characters they were supposed to "fix", the same repeating twist with a villain having a thousand copies of himself over and over again, characters being added just for the sake of being added, like the more the merrier (pretty much the whole Sinister War crap, or the Hunted), an overall childish style of writing, mostly pretty bad art etc....
And the worst part is his slow storytelling. It's not that he's taking his time to slowly build up a story, it's just him filling a, let's say, 7-issue arc with 6 fillers, with a villain repeating some teasing sh*t like Kindred did with all these "Ooh I know you've been waiting for this for a very long time, we almost here, soon you will face your sins" in every issue (basically a character speaks from Spencers perspective to a reader, which got boring pretty fast to be honest), and then writes a conclusion in the final one.

In a conclusion, I have no idea how any writer that brings a character into the story with an explanation such as "Well, he's irrelevant to the story I'm writing now but he was in the story I'm ripping off off, so I'm gonna bring him in too" can be considered good.
The only way to give this garbage an excuse to last this long was to erase OMD, but he couldn't even do that! Instead, they decided to retcon the story everyone ignored for 15+ years and acted like it never even happened.
And man, what he's done to Harry cannot be justified. Erasing 15 years of character developement simply because you share the theory that Harry shouldn't have been ressurected, despite the fact that killing him again now won't return the impact of his original death and it won't feel the same anyway, cause he was alive for such a long period of time, is just plain dumb.

This was bad.
Retconning his own retcons now...
Sarah was gone last issue only to now again be Sarah and not the A.I.
Anytime a story comes up now, there's a chance of it being undone by the next writer or further.
Mephisto is now tied to Spider-Man's origin and life.

If it wasn't for Ben coming in, I'd be done completely now.
As it is, I fear what they'll do to/with him.

It's not so much disappointment or anything, it's apathy and indifference. I'm at the point where I just don't care and reading becomes a struggle when you know something can't progress.
Peter is stuck now.

74 main issues, countless tie-in issues and the issue and run ends with what was already said and done with in the first one!

This run was waste of time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"