• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantasy Warner Bros to reboot Willy Wonka

Not loving what I'm seeing so far. The Paddington guy was all wrong for this, I fear. Doesn't feel like Dahl at all - none of the creepy, slightly ominous mean-spiritedness that lurked in the corners of all his work. Maybe it's just the trailer, but I really don't like this new, overly sweet coating that they seem to be dunking Wonka in.

Not loving what I'm seeing so far. The Paddington guy was all wrong for this, I fear. Doesn't feel like Dahl at all - none of the creepy, slightly ominous mean-spiritedness that lurked in the corners of all his work. Maybe it's just the trailer, but I really don't like this new, overly sweet coating that they seem to be dunking Wonka in.
To be fair, the 1971 movie didn't really feel like Dahl either and this is taking more inspiration from that than the book.

This, this, this.

Both the 1971 version and the Tim Burton version at least got right that Willy Wonka is a strange, slightly deranged individual, who hates those bad kids. He's whimsical, sure, but with some darkness.

iu

Yes, this is an "origin". But Paddington, he's definitely not. Maybe the trailer is hiding that aspect, which is important for any Roald Dahl inspired work, or even just a spin-off of the 1971 version. This, so far, feels like neither?

Last edited:
There’s a whole subreddit dedicated to Uncle Joe hate exactly for this reason

I liked the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie with Johnny Depp, it was a popcorn flick.

But a prequel? Hmm it looked like WB gave this a huge budget but its just not interesting to me.

I'll watch it neXt year online.

Feels like this film will end with James Franco taking his place behind a giant curtain.

So, this is a prequel to the original? Interesting.... I'm not sure how I feel just yet but as much as much of a fan of Tim Burton as I am, I wasn't a fan of his version. This looks like it could be better than that film at least.... possibly.... in my opinion of course lol.

I don't know why I find this poster unsettling.

Probably all that negative space within the picture composition. Very unsightly.

This is clearly a prequel to either the book version or the 70s movie. Probably the 70s movie. Nothing about this seems to be like Burton's version. which I hated. "Faithful to the book" at parts or not, he still flubbed the Willy Wonka character big time. Wilder's take, as in the book, came off as somewhat aloof with a hit of sly curiosity, but was still charming and compassionate. Depp's take was a condescending ******** who clearly didn't like being around people (and looked like later years Michael Jackson with that make-up).

It just doesn't feel very interesting despite all the colors/imagery thrown in the film.

I love Timmy Salami and Paul King, but the trailers aren't very enticing. I'm reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory right now, so I'll probably be in the mood and go see it anyway unless the reviews are dirt-poor.

I think Timmy was the wrong person to cast for this. They needed someone more Gene Wilder-esque.

79% on RT and glowing reviews and reactions. Helluva good start!

79% on RT and glowing reviews and reactions. Helluva good start!

Don't speak too soon. Napoleon started at 82%. It's since dropped to 59%.

My understanding is that this is a direct prequel to the Wilder version, and it even has some of the same musical cues, such as "Pure Imagination."

Don't speak too soon. Napoleon started at 82%. It's since dropped to 59%.

My understanding is that this is a direct prequel to the Wilder version, and it even has some of the same musical cues, such as "Pure Imagination."
That's fine as most people like that movie (only a small handful prefer the Burton one more due to "faithfulness to the book").

80% now.

Even though it’s a prequel it sounds like he plays Wonka completely different without a tinge of meanness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"