Warner Bros to reboot Willy Wonka

I think maybe someone might have misinterpreted after hearing a producer say “I would like to see Timothee Chalamet and Tom Holland’s willy”.

In all seriousness though I wonder why they don’t do any of the other Roald Dahl work? Or someone more modern?

I'm not the biggest fan of Burton's Wonka, but seriously, if an origin of some kind had to be put on screen, this is all it had to be.

The mystery of Gene Wilder's Wonka is what makes him so great.

I'm not really sure why we need an origin story prequel after this movie.

My choice would be Simon Helberg, he is Gene Wilder's younger self, voice, mannerisms, everything and he can act like him.

Studios never seem to get that we don't care to see what characters were like before they became interesting.
It's like the Patton Oswalt bit about the Star Wars prequels. "I don't give a **** about where the things I like come from! I just like the things I like!"

I wonder how they paint Wonka essentially becoming an Oompa Loompa slaver in a positive light.

I don’t agree with that at all. I do think some prequels work. I mean, Godfather II the granddaddy of them all, works and Vitto Corleone has an interesting backstory. We don’t need it, but I’m glad it’s there.

Now do I care where Willy Wonka came from? No.

But I don’t write off ALL prequels like backstory to interesting characters is a bad thing.

I don’t agree with that at all. I do think some prequels work. I mean, Godfather II the granddaddy of them all, works and Vitto Corleone has an interesting backstory. We don’t need it, but I’m glad it’s there.

Now do I care where Willy Wonka came from? No.

But I don’t write off ALL prequels like backstory to interesting characters is a bad thing.
It depends on the subject material for me. I like Godfather II and the Star Wars prequels, but then there's stuff like Gotham where I couldn't give less of a damn about seeing the origins of all the Batman villains but with a Bruce Wayne who's still a preteen.

If you can do something creative with it and has the right team, why not? Better Call Saul is a real shining example of a prequel. But a Willy Wonka prequel made by WB means it will probably be bad.

If you can do something creative with it and has the right team, why not? Better Call Saul is a real shining example of a prequel.
Better Call Saul is probably one of the best if not the best prequel out there because it focuses on world building with some of the memorable supporting characters from Breaking Bad as opposed to taking the more basic route of a prequel and making it about Walter White while he was still just a regular guy, which we had already seen enough of throughout BrBa, particularly the earlier seasons. It's all about execution.

Better Call Saul is probably one of the best if not the best prequel out there because it focuses on world building with some of the memorable supporting characters from Breaking Bad as opposed to taking the more basic route of a prequel and making it about Walter White while he was still just a regular guy, which we had already seen enough of throughout BrBa, particularly the earlier seasons. It's all about execution.

Oh, sure. There was another Wonka prequel script I read years ago that was pretty good from what I remember. The most memorable part was that Wonka has an affair with Mrs. Salt and Veruca turns out to be Wonka's illegitimate daughter. :funny:

Studios never seem to get that we don't care to see what characters were like before they became interesting.

I remember when there was talk of a Die Hard: Before John Was Hard prequel. Is that still happening?

Jason Mantzoukas would be so face-meltingly brilliant as Wonka I could absolutely weep over the fact that it’ll never happen.

Agreed Daveed is much more inspired. Easily the better actor.

I want my hairy psychotic man-child Wonka and I won’t let either one of you talk me out of it. :o

Isn’t this the YOUNG adventure of Wonka? Why are people fancasting 40+?

He's supposed to be older than he really looks.

Daveed would be interesting. He has a lot of range.

Rafi can’t play anything but Rafi. I remember seeing him in some movie where he actually tried to play a nice, normal character but then in the last 10 minutes he turns back into Rafi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"