Was MOS a good introduction to Superman for younger kids?

1.Macguffin(and what that means to a kid).
2.Same as they've always been
3.He was in alaska and in the bar he heard the army guys talking about it.
4.Destroying the world with a big blue beam(thank you summer of 2011).

Things are probably alot more simple for kids than for us. We like to call things cliche and plot holes and offensive. They just see things in broad simple strokes(speaking from my experience). Zod want's the codex, what more need be understood? When you grow up you can then find out how much more to it there was.

Still, the finer workings of machines doesn't equal plot I don't think. I don't see what's so complicated to follow in this. If anything critics are saying it's all action tied together with a thin plot.

We'd need to research and experiment to find out either way.

the plot in Superman the movie was weird to me as a kid. Why was Clark compelled to travel up north? The crystal said nothing.

When a young Clark is running along side the train a very young girl named Lois Lane was on that train and saw Clark keeping up with the train. Yet when they get older she never makes the connection.

And how is it that Lois looks a little older than Clark at the end when she was about 10 years younger earlier in the film.

I never understood Lois' and Clark's age thing either.
If you mean the comics aren't they roughly the same age? since in the comics if was never shown that a young Lois saw a young kid running alongside trains.

As for the movie actors that's a bit of a rough spot.

As far as the question of ethics. Should you take your kid to see MoS, which has a certain death scene near the end? Depends on your style of parenting. Whatever you do, make sure it's congruent with everything else you've done.

If you forbid them from seeing other action films with death, don't take them to MoS and act like it's all right, at least without sitting down and talking to your kid in detail about Superman's big decision.

Too much inconsistency, and they'll stop taking you seriously as the years pass. Deservedly so.

Superman doesn't age the way we do.
Plot hole solved.

the plot in Superman the movie was weird to me as a kid. Why was Clark compelled to travel up north? The crystal said nothing.

When a young Clark is running along side the train a very young girl named Lois Lane was on that train and saw Clark keeping up with the train. Yet when they get older she never makes the connection.

And how is it that Lois looks a little older than Clark at the end when she was about 10 years younger earlier in the film.

I guess Kidder just looked a bit older, and Reeve was in his very early 20's. I think in the movie he's supposed to be about 10 years older. But also as I recall, the theatrical version didn't reveal that the young girl was Lois...there was a strange 'alternate cut' tat played on Television that had scenes not in the theatrical version, like machine guns shooting at him as he's underground looking for Luthor, etc. Maybe they included them on the DVD as well.

Forgive me, I'm not adopted nor have I ever thought to ask my adopted friends what the term is for their family dynamic.

I agree, sometimes less is more. Basically my whole problem with the movie.

Wasn't meant as a put down.

People also shovel junk food in their face. More people have issues with this movie then you care to admit.
Yeah, public opinion is often a double-edged sword....especially in an age of excess and over-saturation in entertainment.

Last edited:
I never understood Lois' and Clark's age thing either.
i never understand why Clark will fall in love with lois in STM. and since when? love first sight in the first introduction in the planet???

I think it was a great introduction to kids, since it didn't feel like a movie aimed at kids at all, and thats exactly what a lot of kids really like! They like not being talked down to, being treated like a grown up and MoS does that! I am talking about kids from age 8 and up.
Thats also the reason why I became a Batman fan when I was that age in the early nineties. The Burton movie didn't felt like a kids movie (because it wasn't) and the same thing was with the Batman animated series. I felt really grown up and mature watching this and loved every second of it!
I think MoS does the exact same thing for kids today!

I think it was a great introduction to kids, since it didn't feel like a movie aimed at kids at all, and thats exactly what a lot of kids really like! They like not being talked down to, being treated like a grown up and MoS does that! I am talking about kids from age 8 and up.
Thats also the reason why I became a Batman fan when I was that age in the early nineties. The Burton movie didn't felt like a kids movie (because it wasn't) and the same thing was with the Batman animated series. I felt really grown up and mature watching this and loved every second of it!
I think MoS does the exact same thing for kids today!

Interesting take....some good points.

i never understand why Clark will fall in love with lois in STM. and since when? love first sight in the first introduction in the planet???

I thought it worked out great in STM in that she was 'flawed' in a very human way, and also precocious in an endearing way to him. Like she probably drives him crazy always getting into trouble, but as he says in SII "I like worrying about you." He probably wouldn't have found her as interesting if she was a bombshell or more demure, etc.

When he turns back time and comes back to her now that she's alive...I think his looks said it all. He's at first on the verge of almost crying that she's back...but then smiles to himself and shakes his head when she goes into a rant. He wouldn't want it any other way. I think I appreciated their attraction to eachother in those movies the older I got, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"