Visualizing A Superman Reboot: Pictures Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatsHisFace

Avenger
Reaction score
Hello.

I don't think the mass audience wants a Superman movie too close to the comic books. I think they want something like Superman Returns but with more action and less children.

I also think they want Richard out of the picture, and maybe a bit more acting from Routh.

What do you think?

WhatsHisFace said:
Hello.

I don't think the mass audience wants a Superman movie too close to the comic books. I think they want something like Superman Returns but with more action and less children.

I also think they want Richard out of the picture, and maybe a bit more acting from Routh.

What do you think?

but what's your definition of 'too close to the comics'?

The issue is that they can't get rid of Richard or the kid for the sequel. You're stuck. I agree, more action is something they need. Actually a more better narative that's seperates itself from the old movie would help, along with a fellow by the name of Brianiac.

the mass audience wants some action for goodness sakes, some physical conflict, a FIGHT perhaps. And having it be "more like the comics" to me just means making things uh, more exciting? Like having Lex be in chage or Lexcorp and make some kryptonite powered combat drones or something cool. Give the audience a functional villain to fear/root against/be interested in. Like in Star Wars, you have Darth Vader, in Robocop you have ED-209, Terminator has the T-1000.... Routh's Superman, has NO ONE.... he has Lex Luthor, his guitar girlfriend, Kal Penn and a Rugby player.

antmanx68 said:
the mass audience wants some action for goodness sakes, some physical conflict, a FIGHT perhaps. And having it be "more like the comics" to me just means making things uh, more exciting? Like having Lex be in chage or Lexcorp and make some kryptonite powered combat drones or something cool. Give the audience a functional villain to fear/root against/be interested in. Like in Star Wars, you have Darth Vader, in Robocop you have ED-209, Terminator has the T-1000.... Routh's Superman, has NO ONE.... he has Lex Luthor, his guitar girlfriend, Kal Penn and a Rugby player.

1)there was, and still is no point in having superman fight someone on a physical level in SR... SRII is a whole other story, so no need to complain about that point in SR (as you just did). One can pretty much garentee a super-battle in SRII.

2)*****ing about Lex not being the current comic book definition is also pointless, because it's too late for that now. Useless point number 2.

3) you're only good point in your post: a functional villain. The three that I personally would advocate for the SR sequel are Brainiac via New Krypton, Metallo via Lex, or Parasite via Lex. All three have the ability to match supes on a physical level, and mental level. Brainiac has no primary body, and can keep coming back to life. Metallo is basically a terminator powered by kryptonite, and Superman can't fight Parasite without touching him and gaining more power.

What do I want?

well, SR had all the character driven material it needed, but it totally lacked a major action sequence between Plane rescue, and the beginning of the new krypton chapter of the story. SRII needs that third sequence to be successful.

I'm pretty happy with SR regardless of its flaws. All the richard, jason and lois stuff is a little hard to get over, but depending on what direction it goes, it could rule hard (and visa versa, if they take it the wrong direction they could destroy the character of superman forever)

Really, all a SR sequel needs is to take the SR formula, and add another action major action sequence.

WhatsHisFace said:
Hello.

What do you think?
I don't think the "mass audience" wants Richard out of the picture. I've heard more compliments on his character from "non-fans" than about any of the other people in the movie.

From the non Hype posting people I have talked to...they want more fighting/action and less of a morose Superman.

Their thoughts on the kid seem divided.

What does the mass audience want? Sex.

Superfreak said:
1)there was, and still is no point in having superman fight someone on a physical level in SR... SRII is a whole other story, so no need to complain about that point in SR (as you just did). One can pretty much garentee a super-battle in SRII.

2)*****ing about Lex not being the current comic book definition is also pointless, because it's too late for that now. Useless point number 2.

3) you're only good point in your post: a functional villain. The three that I personally would advocate for the SR sequel are Brainiac via New Krypton, Metallo via Lex, or Parasite via Lex. All three have the ability to match supes on a physical level, and mental level. Brainiac has no primary body, and can keep coming back to life. Metallo is basically a terminator powered by kryptonite, and Superman can't fight Parasite without touching him and gaining more power.

I was talking about what I think the mass audience wants in a Superman movie.... not what should have been crammed into Superman Returns as it is.

WhatsHisFace said:
Hello.

What do you think?
Originality.
As in, bury the donner vision and come up with something fresh, dynamic and hi octane.
Keep the same music possibly..
I honestly don't think the audience will mind if everyone from SR gets fired and a whole new director, story and cast is brought to the table.

Beer.

but that aside, they want to have fun. They want to be like "oh snap!" when superman opens his shirt to reveal the S symbol, not like in SR with a mere "eh". It has to really be a thrilling, fun adventure movie this time.

more action....

I don't think the mass audience really cares much about this movie anymore. It's been made, and it's not in theaters anymore, and no amount of complaining will change that.

SuperFerret said:
I don't think the mass audience really cares much about this movie anymore. It's been made, and it's not in theaters anymore, and no amount of complaining will change that.
The sequel not only came out, but closed? :eek:

I missed it NOOOOOO!

Sorry, wrong forum. All these Superman threads run together. I'm just sick about people *****ing about SR still.

On topic: I stand by what I said, in an altered fashion, and I don't believe most people have given a SR sequel a second thought after seeing Returns. We fans of all things super are the minority.

Superfreak said:

What do I want?

well, SR had all the character driven material it needed, but it totally lacked a major action sequence between Plane rescue, and the beginning of the new krypton chapter of the story. SRII needs that third sequence to be successful.

I'm pretty happy with SR regardless of its flaws. All the richard, jason and lois stuff is a little hard to get over, but depending on what direction it goes, it could rule hard (and visa versa, if they take it the wrong direction they could destroy the character of superman forever)

Really, all a SR sequel needs is to take the SR formula, and add another action major action sequence.

1. yes, but at least he should have SMASHED something. that big gattling gun for instance, or some rockets from luthor. Superman in SR was just doing twinkletoes here and twinkletoes there.
SR was FAIRYMAN the MOVIE!

2. that's why it was a bad idea to have the Superman movies follow the exact format of Donner's coz those movies were already a bad adaptation frm the start

3. very true, except that in order to create a truly tight scenario of Metallo thru Lex or Parasite thru Lex, Lex should be ret-conned into the billionaire Lex version

Superman needs a grand overhaul. the concept of Superman is pretty simple, especially if itz a tool to attract mass market. It shouldve been easier for Superman to gain more popularity, more respect, and more earnings than the Spider-man franchise. But the Spidey movies did great. Why? Because it was faithful to the source material. Raimi was a Spidey fan since his youth. Singer was a fan of the Donner movies. Do the Math. SR shouldve gained BILLIONS. but theyre 400 M dollars short. Sure, SR was saturated by a kind of teeny-bopper magazine aura. it was popular ESPECIALLY for the ladies. But that fame just wasnt enough.

the mass audience wudnt want another SR....just like wat d other posters summed up, A NEW APPROACH to SUPERMAN...not just the Donner approach as adapted by Singer

Superfreak said:
Originality.
As in, bury the donner vision and come up with something fresh, dynamic and hi octane.
Keep the same music possibly..
I honestly don't think the audience will mind if everyone from SR gets fired and a whole new director, story and cast is brought to the table.

I disagree.Its pushing 200 mill dom.,and close to 400 mill W.W....To me that shows interest.If singer ratchets up the action for the sequel,I think a bigger B.O. is a given...:)
SuperFerret said:
Sorry, wrong forum. All these Superman threads run together. I'm just sick about people *****ing about SR still.

On topic: I stand by what I said, in an altered fashion, and I don't believe most people have given a SR sequel a second thought after seeing Returns. We fans of all things super are the minority.

Like some stated it, the post-crisis works better. There's a reason "Lois & Clark" and "Smallville" are hits:
They simply show Superman as a quasi-human with superpowers. That's not like it's shown in most comics but those versions are crap anyway. Clark grew up as human and has the same emotions and looks like humans - but still Batman or other heroes ***** about him not beeing "one of them". Bollocks! He just has certain powers and a great origin added to his human side.

How to make people care about Supes again? --> The story/work between Clark and Lois should be the main focus, mixed with a lot of action sequences involving a supervillain who is somehow connected to the story C&L work on. That way, Luthor as the Pres as a subtl villain would work perfect.

Singer failed with his story, time to move on.

WhatsHisFace said:
Hello.

What do you think?

I think you are exactly right. But what the mass audience wants is not what they always get :(

On a purely primitive level, more action could have helped. But, so much was missed and a lack of action is just one of a dozen things that could have been done. To me, the kid and Richard were actually the least of it's problems.

The third act is a complete snooze fest. Imagine the possibilities of a New Krypton in the hands of an imaginative director. The Kryptonian beasts, the Kryptonian weapons. All he could come up with is a lot of Kryptonite? With a great third act, I think it could have been pretty decent.

We need a more imaginative Superman sequel.....and more action.

GreenKToo said:
I disagree.Its pushing 200 mill dom.,and close to 400 mill W.W....To me that shows interest.If singer ratchets up the action for the sequel,I think a bigger B.O. is a given...:)

Yes, interest when the movie was out and in the public eye, but as of this moment, I doubt anyone who's not usually a "Super-fan" has really given the movie a second thought.

WhatsHisFace said:
Hello.

What do you think?
Wanting Richard and Jason out of the picture is completely the comic fan's idea, not the mass audience. Fans hate Richard and Jason because it is a 'change', and they completely ignore how Richard is a developed, likeable character who brings an interesting dynamic: Is Superman right to want Lois to love him instead? The same plot point in Spider-Man 2 didn't have that dynamic because John Jameson wasn't developed or likeable. The fans ignore how Jason brings an important change to Superman's character which makes his reason for saving people more human.

The mass audience however, liked Richard and Jason. People were emotionally attatched to Richard's character, and people thought Jason was cute.

I'm sure the teenage and child audience do want more action next time.

as long as the movies are takeing serously ,and no goofy and overly campy material are put in the general populace will like it[which superman returns had none of]. If Lex ever does come back, make him alittle more serous and have more sinister goals. Alex Ross Justice comic has very sinister silver-age verison of Lex Luthor, something like that should be used for future Lex Luthor performances. I think the mass aduience wants to feel excited about the world they see on screen, this is superman not lord of the rings.The old superman movies always had the sense of being grouded in a sense of quasi reality[as do all superhero movies now]. Metropolis in the old movies looked like a major city in the real world[in returns it was just to fantastical].
Superman and his enemies were always the only fantastical things about the world in the old donner/lester films. As Long as the movies establish the characters and situations in the new movies are takeing as serously as possible[like the old movies].

Apellation said:
The mass audience however, liked Richard and Jason. People were emotionally attatched to Richard's character, and people thought Jason was cute.

I don't think the mass audience cared. You show me where the love was. I never heard from anyone how attached they were to Richard. Emotionally attached? Are you joking? Almost no one cared about Richard. People went to see Superman and were left wanting more Superman not more Richard. I guess people thought the kid was cute, but I don't think most cared one way or another about him.

Apellation said:
I'm sure the teenage and child audience do want more action next time.

Right, just kids want more action. Not one person I spoke to (all adults) didn't want more action.

Well i don't know about you but i was surprised to run on a lot of non fans who liked this movie.and even more who do not like comic book movie usually .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"