Homecoming Was the 2012 reboot pointless?

That's right, utter garbage vomit inducing pig crap. Thank Marvel that abomination is gone forever.
Calm down, calm down.
You have some strange opinions dude, this and thinking Spidey helping the bullied kid is an overrated moment, these opinions are yours alone.

I'll state what I like about this costume more than the MCU costume:
1. No black stripes similar to the spider limbs on Ben Reilly's Spider-Man costume.
2. No pouches on the outside.
3. [BLACKOUT]Not made by Tony Stark[/BLACKOUT].

Calm down, calm down.
You have some strange opinions dude, this and thinking Spidey helping the bullied kid is an overrated moment, these opinions are yours alone.

I'll state what I like about this costume more than the MCU costume:
1. No black stripes similar to the spider limbs on Ben Reilly's Spider-Man costume.
2. No pouches on the outside.
3. [BLACKOUT]Not made by Tony Stark[/BLACKOUT].
Don't get me wrong, it's great symbolism in that scene "kid mirroring Peter prior to the bite." But I think the scene in TASM1 was better.

And this is what I like about the MCU Spidey better than Garbage man 2 suit:
1. Beautiful Romita sr lenses translated perfectly from the comics that can change size & shape. Better than bullfrog frog static, boring, bulging lenses imo.
2. Everything about the web pattern is better in every way ever. The less said about raised grey/reflective garbage, the better.

3. Amazing tick spider on Spidey's back and brilliant mult-meaning front logo. :hmr: :hmr: :hmr: :hmr: :hmr:

4 . Not ripping off Raimi's design.

And if you think i'm the only one who has this opinion, go check TASM2 costume reveal thread Lotta ppl disappointed with it.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, it's great symbolism in that scene "kid mirroring Peter prior to the bite." But I think the scene in TASM1 was better.

And this is what I like about the MCU Spidey better than that suit:

4 . Not ripping off Raimi's design.

And if you think i'm the only one who has this opinion, go check TASM2 costume reveal thread Lotta ppl disappointed with it.
It's not exactly ripping the Raimi suit, beside the color scheme and raised webbing, they remade the suit to satisfy fans.

I saw comments of disappointment in that thread, utter hatred is mostly yours.

During that montage of Spider-Man in action, while radio talk explains people thoughts of him and his vigilantism, in that duration one person on radio was talking about he can't see his children safe with Spider-Man around.

This scene is the definition of pointless.

It's not like this film was dealing with Spidey's relationship with NY. About how people looked at him as a hero or villain. In fact, everytime we see the people of NY they are cheering for him.

Poor, poor screenwriting.

This scene is the definition of pointless.

It's not like this film was dealing with Spidey's relationship with NY. About how people looked at him as a hero or villain. In fact, everytime we see the people of NY they are cheering for him.

Poor, poor screenwriting.
It's a levitating scene in a pool of useless scenes in that movie, I'll give it a leeway for that.

I do feel sorry for Andrew Garfield, considering he was a fan of Spider-Man.

It's a shame really. Garfield was really eager to play the role with his Comic-con appearances both times and ofcourse his heartfelt letter

but I could see Sony just doing it so that they can keep the rights to the franchise.

The studio was all to blame but the director and stars were really invested in the project

In hindsight, yes. They were pointless and will fall into obscurity. And this is coming from someone who liked both films.

Yeah we'll never see

-Harry's "small group"

-The mystery of Peter's dad(only explained in a deleted scene)

- The old man who works with Harry. The Gentleman.

All those plot points for future movies.......gone.

I kinda... Liked that scene, haha. Garfield poured his heart into that scene, great acting, dude.

I kinda... Liked that scene, haha. Garfield poured his heart into that scene, great acting, dude.

I know right? I kinda think they should have kept it in, because even though fans obviously would have been upset, I feel it would have been a more complete film.

I know right? I kinda think they should have kept it in, because even though fans obviously would have been upset, I feel it would have been a more complete film.
Nah, it would enrage people more actually.
Richard mentions everyone who died in Peter's life, except for the brother he left his son at his care before trying to escape the country.

Nah, it would enrage people more actually.
Richard mentions everyone who died in Peter's life, except for the brother he left his son at his care before trying to escape the country.

As I said, fans would have been upset. :cwink: But as a narrative I think it would be more complete.

It's old school.

It didn't really fit, though. Falcon wasn't speaking, so the "right to remain silent" comment just seemed out of place. My theater was laughing and enjoying Spider-Man when he was doing his thing, but it was silent aside from an odd chuckle or two when he said that.

Just because Spidey makes a silly remark in another story doesn't excuse another. Besides, that gag worked in the contex, TASM2 Hugger quip didn't.

It did. He was teasing the hostile Aleksei, so he said that knowing it'd just tick him off more and get him to lose focus.

Yeah, Tom's are just funnier and less forced.

Yup, after 10-20 minutes total of screen-time. :oldrazz: Waiting to see how Homecoming does for his role.

That's what was so funny about it. It was obvious & straightforward.

Eh.

It was a really cool seeing him so lively, though.

Still doesn't excuse that it didn't work too well.

Except that's not what was seemingly happening in the Truckchase. Spidey didn't seem to be trying to save lives by distracting him, he was CAUSING death & damage because of his attempt to make jokes. Lives were definitely lost because of his lame attempts to be funny. Less, "i'm trying to distract this guy so I can't stop him from getting away with the plutonium and prevent death & collateral damage" and more "I'm gonna make quips & joke around just because the fans want a more jokey Spider-Man."

I'll give you that. It was actually something I missed originally and only picked up on it when others pointed it out. Really didn't like the decision to save one person (Max) over dozens. I know why they did it (to establish the Spidey/Max thing) but it was just a really poor choice and could've been handled better. Could've been a simple fix, too. Just cut out the bit where Spidey swings away from the truck and already you minimize the damage done, maybe even cut the first meeting between Max and Spidey and just let the audiences assume Max got to work safely.

Probably could've still established this guy is a crazy fanboy. I guess the only issue that'd make is some of the dialogue having to be cut in Times Square, but perhaps you could infer that Max is just crazy and believes Spidey knows him when in reality he doesn't. :shrug:

Ehh... At least they were straightforward.

I guess.

And I think that scene is overrated.

Okay, what? Even people that loathe TASM2 have good things to say about that scene. I think that's just your distinct dislike of TASM2 overall talking. :funny:

I think that scene is beautiful.

:up:

Just because he stopped two bullies & walked a kid home? Uhh, okay? It's an inspirational scene for but I don't think It captures "everthing we love about the character" a little overrated imo. & besides, that kid got annoying in the third act with the dumb standoff scene between him & the Rhino.:facepalm:

It was meant to show what you already pointed out -- inspiration. Spidey saved a kid from harm, saved his science project (and even enhanced for him) and walked him home for Pete's sake (no-pun intended) when he didn't even have to.

The kid wasn't annoying at all. :doh:

Let me say this, if you didn't have an issue with the NYers helping Spidey in SM1&2 (Bridge for SM1 and Train for SM2) and if you didn't have an issue with the kid being empowered in TASM (with the burning car and him wearing the mask), but you have an issue with the kid being inspired to stand up to a villain 'cause of what Spidey did for him (when he didn't really have to), then once again, it's just your general dislike showing.

TASM series as a whole has its ups and downs, and where it may've lacked in Peter's characterization, a lot of times it shined in Spidey's characterization and there's really no disputing that. Luckily for many, Tom seems to be the best of both worlds so it is what it is.

Tobey -- Peter
Andrew -- Spidey
Tom -- Both (Seemingly, way too early to tell for me)

I completely agree.

Sure, it would've made the fans go into a bloodthirsty rage (like TASM2 didn't already do that for people with some decisions made :funny:), but it wouldn't have left the movie on a cliffhanger we'll never get to see resolved either.

Marvel's Alan Fine sums up what's wrong with #Sony #SpiderMan franchise in this email from 2 years ago. #SonyHack :wow:
B5M-ePRIgAAhwrY.png

Oh damn, never saw this. Fine hit the nail on the head.

killing Norman and killing Gwen were the primary issues with ASM2. Leaving High School and having funeral after funeral after funeral were certainly also secondary issues.

Man, someone should've listened to this guy.

ASM2 was just added to Canadian Netflix and I tried watching it for the first time since the theatre (I disliked the movie then). I couldn't even finish rewatching it. I like Garfield and Stone a lot so maybe that's why the movie makes me mad rather than just leaves me feeling indifferent.

I think I would be indifferent or mildly entertained by it if it wasn't for Gwen's death. I guess I can't reconcile that moment in my head with the campiness of everything else.

They foreshadowed it so much that they sapped the emotion out of the whole scene. That's what happens when you take what is supposed to be an emotional death and make it a selling point. Even the actors were like 'yep, we're killing Gwen' since the first movie. When you make someone's death into a thing to market it loses the human moment and becomes product.

It was Andrew's acting that really made Gwen's death work for me.

Andrew cried in two death scenes; Martin Sheen's Ben and Emma Stone's Gwen.
One crying moment still makes me laugh, and it's not the second movie moment.

It's not exactly ripping the Raimi suit, beside the color scheme and raised webbing, they remade the suit to satisfy fans.

I saw comments of disappointment in that thread, utter hatred is mostly yours.

The Hot Toys TASM2 figure is one of the greatest Spidey figures ever produced. Despite all of the movie's flaws and Spidey's story being prematurely ended for the 2nd time in 7 years, I'll always be grateful to the suit designers for making the basis for the HT figure. I've never regretted the money that I dropped on it, which was substantial.

For people who really liked the TASM2 humor, the figure also comes with a movie-accurate toboggan, scarf, and vest. I don't have mine posed with these, but it's pretty cool to have the option if I'm ever in the mood for a comedic display.

The Hot Toys TASM2 figure is one of the greatest Spidey figures ever produced. Despite all of the movie's flaws and Spidey's story being prematurely ended for the 2nd time in 7 years, I'll always be grateful to the suit designers for making the basis for the HT figure. I've never regretted the money that I dropped on it, which was substantial.

For people who really liked the TASM2 humor, the figure also comes with a movie-accurate toboggan, scarf, and vest. I don't have mine posed with these, but it's pretty cool to have the option if I'm ever in the mood for a comedic display.

Definitely wanna save up and buy it. Not really into collecting much as I used to be, but there are a few Spider-Gems that I want to have around. (Funko, Hot Toys, Bobblehead, etc.)

Definitely wanna save up and buy it. Not really into collecting much as I used to be, but there are a few Spider-Gems that I want to have around. (Funko, Hot Toys, Bobblehead, etc.)

It's sad that the Raimi trilogy didn't result in more great 1/6 figures from Hot Toys. I'm still hopeful that one day HT can get the rights/signatures from everyone involved to at least do Gobby 1 and Doc Ock. I'd like to see a special edition Spidey from the Raimi films too, since the SM3 one had a disproportionate lower body and costume webbing is infamously brittle.

Then again, the ASM1 Hot Toy was even worse when it came to fragility. The first wave of figures that came out would snap off at the shoulder if you tried to pose the arms above the head. Collectors were livid about that one.

On whether the 2012 reboot was pointless: Not pointless, but I think if they'd tried to base it on the comics rather than doing their own thing like that parents storyline and stuff it wouldn't have been cancelled. They always try to divert too far from the comics and people react to it badly.

There is a reason why Spider-Mans comic book story-lines have stood the test of time.

The entire reason Spider-Man 2 was so well received was because they translated Spider-man: No more so well to the screen. They dont tend to do that with other films.

Last edited:
It wasn't pointless in that Sony thought they could make money and continue their stranglehold on the Spider-man rights. It ended up being pointless in that both films were lackluster, and people got sick of the character, myself included. Seriously, I own two thousand Spider-man comic books and I wasn't excited at all for ASM 2. That says it all.
But he's back home, and they absolutely knocked it out of the park in CW, so my excitement and love for the character has returned.

It wasn't pointless in that Sony thought they could make money and continue their stranglehold on the Spider-man rights. It ended up being pointless in that both films were lackluster, and people got sick of the character, myself included. Seriously, I own two thousand Spider-man comic books and I wasn't excited at all for ASM 2. That says it all.
But he's back home, and they absolutely knocked it out of the park in CW, so my excitement and love for the character has returned.

Did they? I havent seen CW yet. But I have hope for Tom. All three actors Tobey, Andrew and Tom seem good so far, its just all the other aspects that let it down, unfortunately.

Alfred Molina was probably the only competent actor other than the Spider-Mans. Everyone else was either lackluster, in the wrong role or camp.

Did they? I havent seen CW yet. But I have hope for Tom. All three actors Tobey, Andrew and Tom seem good so far, its just all the other aspects that let it down, unfortunately.

Alfred Molina was probably the only competent actor other than the Spider-Mans. Everyone else was either lackluster, in the wrong role or camp.

He didn't have a lot to do in CW, but Tom is my favorite Spider-man/Peter Parker thus far. I also don't think I'm alone given how well-received he was across the board with critics and audiences; people seem to generally be excited for a third iteration of the character, which was the complete opposite reaction a year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"