Homecoming Was the 2012 reboot pointless?

On whether the 2012 reboot was pointless: Not pointless, but I think if they'd tried to base it on the comics rather than doing their own thing like that parents storyline and stuff it wouldn't have been cancelled. They always try to divert too far from the comics and people react to it badly.

There is a reason why Spider-Mans comic book story-lines have stood the test of time.

The entire reason Spider-Man 2 was so well received was because they translated Spider-man: No more so well to the screen. They dont tend to do that with other films.
The parents storyline is inspired by the role of Peter's father in Ultimate Spider-Man comics, it's even in the game.
But the movies did take it too far, I think they wanted the secret agents touch by the subway base?

Did they? I havent seen CW yet. But I have hope for Tom. All three actors Tobey, Andrew and Tom seem good so far, its just all the other aspects that let it down, unfortunately.

Alfred Molina was probably the only competent actor other than the Spider-Mans. Everyone else was either lackluster, in the wrong role or camp.
Emma Stone is great as Gwen Stacy, she poured a lot of heart into it, even if her character arc is nothing.

It's sad that the Raimi trilogy didn't result in more great 1/6 figures from Hot Toys. I'm still hopeful that one day HT can get the rights/signatures from everyone involved to at least do Gobby 1 and Doc Ock. I'd like to see a special edition Spidey from the Raimi films too, since the SM3 one had a disproportionate lower body and costume webbing is infamously brittle.

Out of the Raimi trilogy, I'd love to have a Peter Parker, Battle Damaged Spider-Man (from SM), Doc Ock, and Sandman.

Then again, the ASM1 Hot Toy was even worse when it came to fragility. The first wave of figures that came out would snap off at the shoulder if you tried to pose the arms above the head. Collectors were livid about that one.

That's a shame. :csad: Wish they would've made more of a line-up, such as a Dr. Connors, Gwen, etc. but I guess if the ASM figure was beyond fragile, I can see why they didn't pursue any others.

Emma Stone is great as Gwen Stacy, she poured a lot of heart into it, even if her character arc is nothing.

Personalty wise, she was okay. But I think her characters role amounts to very little emotionally. Not because she is bad as acting as Gwen, but because in such a short space of time and lumped into the 'love interest' role is very limiting, unfortunately. Hopefully that wont be repeated.

Tbh, Gwen never really had much of a character arc in the comics either. You can tell in interviews that Emma thought a lot about Gwen and tried to add some more meat to the character (I'm still of the belief that she should have been cast as MJ), but much of what she talks about was never really explored in the films. Despite Emma's character being more charismatic and more "kick ass" , I think Kirsten was actually given more to work with. Anyway, I'm not a fan of how either of the franchises have handled MJ and Gwen. I don't think they really captured the essence of these characters. Hopefully, Marvel does better :yay:

On whether the 2012 reboot was pointless: Not pointless, but I think if they'd tried to base it on the comics rather than doing their own thing like that parents storyline and stuff it wouldn't have been cancelled. They always try to divert too far from the comics and people react to it badly.

There is a reason why Spider-Mans comic book story-lines have stood the test of time.

The entire reason Spider-Man 2 was so well received was because they translated Spider-man: No more so well to the screen. They dont tend to do that with other films.

I don't think the problem with the parents storyline was that it isn't straight from the comics. Lots of stories that aren't from the comics work fine in movies. The problem was that the underlying theme and message of the parents storyline runs counter to the core themes and messages of Spider-man. Peter Parker shouldn't be "special", beyond just being smart and dedicated, and the critical parental figures should be Aunt May and Uncle Ben.

The parent thing went nowhere....that potential turn out to be a complete waste.

It was pointless and they really just shouldn't have done a straight reboot.

Just cast new actors. Have the characters sort of established already, loose continuity of the originals.

Should've gone the James Bond route.
yes it was pointless. I agree with your post wholeheartedly, just add "no stupid mother/father destiny backstory"

Tbh, Gwen never really had much of a character arc in the comics either. You can tell in interviews that Emma thought a lot about Gwen and tried to add some more meat to the character (I'm still of the belief that she should have been cast as MJ), but much of what she talks about was never really explored in the films. Despite Emma's character being more charismatic and more "kick ass" , I think Kirsten was actually given more to work with. Anyway, I'm not a fan of how either of the franchises have handled MJ and Gwen. I don't think they really captured the essence of these characters. Hopefully, Marvel does better :yay:

At least Gwen's character made a logical progression in the TASM films. MJ took a big step back as a character in SM3 after two solid outings in the previous ones. SM3's Gwen was an INO with no real impact on Raimi's world. In both the Raimi trilogy and TASM duo, there was much to like, but also more that could have been done with those characters.

It was pointless given that it didn't offer anything new of substance. It was the origin all over again except much worse. It was a generic villain with a generic plot. Untold story my ass. The parent storyline took away from the Spider-Man mythos rather than add to it. The sequel tried to add something new by leading up to Sinister Six but they rushed it and the film ended up a mess. In the end, the rebooted franchise didn't bring anything to us to fondly remember. Luckily it was bad enough to get Spider-Man to where he is now and that's pretty much the good thing that came out of that franchise

And it turned the Spider-Man origin myth from a freak accident to a 'chosen one' inevitability.

It was pointless given that it didn't offer anything new of substance. It was the origin all over again except much worse. It was a generic villain with a generic plot. Untold story my ass. The parent storyline took away from the Spider-Man mythos rather than add to it. The sequel tried to add something new by leading up to Sinister Six but they rushed it and the film ended up a mess. In the end, the rebooted franchise didn't bring anything to us to fondly remember. Luckily it was bad enough to get Spider-Man to where he is now and that's pretty much the good thing that came out of that franchise

All of this.

And it turned the Spider-Man origin myth from a freak accident to a 'chosen one' inevitability.

That too!

At least they had the sense to cut out that God awful graveyard scene!

Yes and the general audience became fatigued by the character.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the GA became fatigued by the character, they were just tired of seeing Spider-Man in crap movies. Look at the response from the GA with Spider-Man in CW.

Spider-Man is still going strong. Holland aced it in CW proof that people want good Spidey. And with RDj in Spidey 2017 people know it's Marvel rendition. More insentive to see the reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"