Was watching B89 again...

Superwoman Prime

Damaged Beyond Repair
Reaction score
I noticed that Batman went for the petty criminals, and about the most prestigious one was the main hitman Jack Napier.

Everyone in Gotham knew Grissom was the core of the problem, so it wasn't a mystery. Batman was definitely a fine detective in this movie, so finding the crime boss's whereabouts would'nt have been a challenge. Yet he never targeted and pursued Grissom on an individual basis.

I thought that was strange.

Considering what the film presents who says he wasn't targeting Grissom's operation anyway? perhaps he wanted to move from the bottom up since he obviously moved with the quickness when he found out about Napier and his men over at Axis.

It doesn't appear to be a situation that calls for long-term system ascension. For me it would've made more sense for Batman to strike out Grissom in the initial stage.

The answer seems to lie in that the crime boss was always relocating around Gotham and very rarely out in the open. So even by the time Batman had found Grissom's headquarters, they had already shifted to some other random locale.

meh, who cares i say. it was 20 years ago. i just take it for what it is. greatness.

No, Batman wasn't really a detective in Batman 1989. But to the question of the thread: We do not really have a lot of information. For example, did Batman work with Harvey Dent? Have they ever met? We can't tell.

organised crime worked because those highest in the food chain always keep their hands clean. They conduct crimes under the guise of regular business practice and social get togethers. you still need proof to charge somebody with a crime.

Batman WAS doing his detective work by tackling the little fish and hoping for a lead on the big fish.
He could have just gone ahead and killed Grissom, but he's smart enough to know that somebody else would just take his place. he has to take apart the entire empire piece by piece.

Keep in mind, it seemed like he had only been Batman for a short period in the movie too. Batman was still considered a myth to some in Gotham

No, Batman wasn't really a detective in Batman 1989.

He didn't have that Sherlock cap or the pipe but he certainly found out the poison code when no one else could.

But to the question of the thread: We do not really have a lot of information. For example, did Batman work with Harvey Dent? Have they ever met? We can't tell.

For the way Dent - and other authorities - kept refering to him, I'd say no. With that background and no scene with them together, I'd say no again. And for the way Dent looked and sounded grateful to Batman once he defeated the Joker, I'd say no for the third time.

Well, maybe if Batman went after Grissom then all the guys below him would have no-one to report to, they'd all go out on their own again and commit crimes with no guidance because when they were commiting crimes for the mod they had a purpose without the mob they'd go and just do any crime for the money. Getting the mob gone with out taking care of the lowlys would've created anarchy.

Also, Batman wasn't really a detective he never "detected" anything that couldn't be thrown together with basic logic.

He "detected" the combinations of higiene products that were deadly for people. I order to do that, he probably didn't throw random combinations but detected the poison and followed a logic path through which those could be deadly if put together.

Mm-hmm. An average joe couldn't have ascertained what Joker was doing with the chemicals.

The lack of telegraphing strikes again. Seems that if it isn't explicitly told to some people, they don't notice it.

Batman cracked the Joker's poison formula, and also deduced that the Joker's base of operations was Axis Chemicals, which would be less obvious than one would think. The Joker was, essentially, hiding right under Batman's nose at the place where he was created.

But yeah. Cracking the poison code. If someone's gonna tell me that didn't take detective work, I may scream.

Well, maybe if Batman went after Grissom then all the guys below him would have no-one to report to, they'd all go out on their own again and commit crimes with no guidance because when they were commiting crimes for the mod they had a purpose without the mob they'd go and just do any crime for the money. Getting the mob gone with out taking care of the lowlys would've created anarchy.

Also, Batman wasn't really a detective he never "detected" anything that couldn't be thrown together with basic logic.

chemically deducing the pattern used in joker's poisoned products took more than basic logic. also, it seems you have little idea what detection is. bruce/batman gathered clues, pieced things together and allowed logic to follow. that's detection. that's what it is.

He did the detective work, but not in a traditional police manner. I mean, he did scientific detective stuff, but from what we saw he never struck out at Grissom directly or tracked him down etc etc... I agree with the other thing though, Grissom was obviously a clever mob boss, who kept his hands clean.

The key to B89 wasnt bruce being seen doing detective work it was the AURA keaton relayed of a burning intelligence when he is talking in the movie you can almost see his brain turning over things, when he is explaining the chemical code to vale int he batcave, the wayne manner date scenes ect. Keatons batman is the only movie bat i have seen so far who has a commanding presence when he talks i can imaging him ordering around the justice league like he does in the cartoons or the comic i just cant see this with any other bat actor.

I think a couple of you are entirely missing the point about Grissom.

He never kept his hands clean. There were crimes littered all over Gotham that were attributed to him, and even though we never see him go out and shoot anyone, the blame falls on him for hiring hitmen. The sole reason Grissom wasn't behind bars was because the officials were incompetent.

I think a couple of you are entirely missing the point about Grissom.

He never kept his hands clean. There were crimes littered all over Gotham that were attributed to him, and even though we never see him go out and shoot anyone, the blame falls on him for hiring hitmen. The sole reason Grissom wasn't behind bars was because the officials were incompetent.

Just because you know who the guy ordering the hits is doesn't make him easy to catch. He kept his hands clean in the sense that nothing could be traced back to him. Heck, that's why the FBI couldn't get Al Capone on anything besides tax fraud.

every public official in gotham was incompetent. especially the police.
when joker kills the mob guy at city hall, two police officers stand there and watch him commit murder, then they don't even move when his goons come out and shoot them.
then the joker announces on live television that he in going to parade down main street at midnight, and the police don't show up until after he's killed a bunch of people and batman crashes his jet into the cathedral.
the only competent public servant in the film was Batman.

Just because you know who the guy ordering the hits is doesn't make him easy to catch. He kept his hands clean in the sense that nothing could be traced back to him. Heck, that's why the FBI couldn't get Al Capone on anything besides tax fraud.

Absolutely.

Batman didn't really have time to go after Grissom, he was after all shot about forty minutes into the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"