Weird News of the World Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovesick Cannibal Eats the Heart of His Ex's New Boyfriend

Everyone knows heartbroken men are prone to irrational behavior. One scorned lover might show up outside his old flame's house, waking her with the very loud Peter Gabriel song that's emanating from his boombox; another might find his ex's new guy, stab him in the chest, and eat his heart with a knife and fork.

The former scenario, of course, happened in Say Anything, and surely countless times IRL after that film's release. The latter went down recently in South Africa's Gugulethu township, near Cape Town. According to police, the 62-year-old victim also had bite marks on his face. The alleged cannibal, a Zimbabwean national, was arrested.

Western Cape Deputy Police Commissioner Sharon Jephta offered an impossibly stoic recounting of the event. From the BBC:

"It was very gruesome," she said.

"It's definitely a love triangle," she said.

Yes, definitely.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27808850

That is one crazy story, what a horrible way to go

Most times a love triangle needs three people, not including one being eaten. Also, it reminds me of an episode of Angel where it was a practice of demons to devour the old husband of a wife to enhance the love of the new couple or something.

Just a Seven-Foot-Tall Lord of the Rings Orc Going Grocery Shopping

[YT]GSjA3voJydk[/YT]

Sometimes a giant pit-bred hybrid of human and Orc works up an appetite trying to find the halflings for Saruman, so here's Lurtz the Uruk-hai making a casual grocery run. Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!

The actor/bodybuilder behind the costume is 7'2" Olivier "The Dutch Giant" Richters, the tallest man in the Netherlands. He agreed to be transformed into a Lord of the Rings character as part of a final project for makeup student Rossanne Puck Aafjes.

Aafjes plans to recreate Gollum after her graduation—a much smaller, but possibly more complex, project. The Dutch Giant dreams of joining the WWE.

Would trip me out if I saw that in the grocery store

One would think the world is full of those who consume human flesh. Maybe cannibalism stories happen in 3's like celebrity deaths

Strict Parenting May Encourage Kids to Smoke Weed

Do you have a kid? Is your kid in high school? There's a pretty good chance they're smoking weed at least occasionally — and if they haven't yet, they're likely to try it eventually. You lit up (just once, and didn't even enjoy it that much) back in your day, right?

The impulse to steer your children away from mysterious-sounding stuff like "dabs," "vapes," "Wiz Khalifa," and "Adventure Time" is probably futile, but who wants some pot-addled drughead on their hands? What's a parent to do?

A study published in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence offers some insight for lamestain olds everywhere. In an effort to find a parenting style that most effectively discourages youths from enjoying weed, booze, and cigarettes, a team of researchers asked kids from six European countries about their home lives, then labeled their parents with one of four types: authoritarian (strict, inflexible), authoritative (firm, willing to reason), indulgent (permissive, emotional), and neglectful (exactly what it sounds like).

According to the results of the study, authoritative and indulgent parents have more luck convincing their kids not partake than those who are neglectful or authoritarian. It makes sense: if you're out and out ignoring you're kids, it's not surprising they'll find their way into pot and booze, and if you rule with an iron fist, they'll eventually want to de-stress and/or rebel.

Lesson learned: reasonable parenting works, and if you really want your kids to abstain, just be cool, man.

http://time.com/2863028/strict-parents-kids-drugs/

For all you parents out there let this be a lesson to you

Man Mistakenly Freed by Jury Gets Stabbed to Death Hours Later

ayzr2sjp5r17pkpmyrz4.jpg

A California man charged with burglary went free after a deadlocked jury signed a not-guilty form by mistake. Just hours later, he was stabbed to death.

The Fresno jury returned a guilty verdict Wednesday against one of Bobby Lee Pearson's co-defendants in the burglary of an apartment, but couldn't reach a unanimous decision in Pearson's case. They were hung, with only 8 jurors voting guilty.

When Superior Court Judge W. Kent Hamlin asked the jury whether the verdicts they'd handed in were correct, all 12 nodded. But they'd given the judge the not-guilty form in Pearson's case, which the judge put on the record.

Jurors tried to correct the mistake by telling the judge they were hung on the charges, hoping it would lead to a retrial, but the judge said he had no choice, the Fresno Bee reported—to retry him after entering the verdict would be double jeopardy.

"This has never happened to me in more than 100 jury trials that I have done," the judge said.

So Pearson went free.

Police say he went to a home to pick up some clothes and other belongings early Thursday morning. There he apparently encountered his sister's boyfriend, with whom he had a bad history. In their ensuing fight, the unnamed boyfriend allegedly stabbed Pearson, killing him.

Jurors said they had been confused by the separate verdict forms—for guilty and not guilty—and the fact that there was no form for "hung jury."

"I call it a June jury," defense attorney Linden Lindahl told the Bee, referring to the fact that many of the jurors appeared to be young college students who put off their jury service until the summer. "I guess they see things differently than our normal jurors."

Lindahl added that he was surprised at the confusion, because Judge Hamlin's jury instructions had been "by the book."

http://nypost.com/2014/06/12/defendant-accidentally-freed-by-jury-killed-hours-after-release/

I bet that guy was thinking the world was going his way once he got free

Why the First Antibiotic-Resistant Superbug Found in Food Is a Big Deal

sszbwpmb4ha4ctbpalqx.jpg

In very bad news, a superbug resistant to last-resort antibiotics was found in imported squid, according to a report this week. This is a scary development in antibiotic resistance—even if you don't eat squid. Here is why one small finding has frightening implications.

What you need to know about "nightmare bacteria"

When the CDC released its sobering antibiotic resistance report last year, at the top of the list was carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, or CRE. The C in CRE is the key: carbapenem is an antibiotic of last resort. If you're unlucky enough to get an infection resistant to carbapenem, you're nearly out of options.

CRE is not particularly common (yet, thank god), and it's mostly been confined to hospitals where antibiotic use abounds. That's why it's so surprising—and scary—that Canadian researchers have found a different bacteria resistant to carbapenem in imported squid from South Korea. The report is published in this week's Emerging Infectious Disease, and Maryn McKenna first noticed it in her always excellent blog, Superbug.

The squid in question came from a Chinese grocery store in Saskatoon, Canada. While the bacterium was not CRE and not usually disease-causing, it was resistant to carbapenem. It's the first time carbapenem-resistant bacteria has been found in food in the U.S. or Canada.

Even a harmless bacteria with antibiotic resistance is still a big deal

The problem is not necessarily the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria but antibiotic-resistant genes. Bacteria are capable of swapping small bits of DNA that carry genes like those for carbapenem resistance. One species could evolve resistance to carbapanem and then quickly pass it on to other species through gene swapping. This is exactly what is happening to antibiotic-resistance genes as they jump from one bacterium to another.

Remember that your gut is a teeming community of microbes. Once the carbapenem-resistant bacteria gets into the food supply and into our guts, it can pass those resistance genes onto the bacteria in us. And now there's a reservoir of carbapenem resistance in your body, laying low until you get a bad infection in the future. And as much as we hate to think about it, fecal bacteria sometimes contaminates our food, so resistance genes can keep spreading outward.

Monitoring resistance will need to change

Surveillance of antibiotics resistance has so far focused on hospitals, but this finding means we might need to look more carefully at the food supply, too. The Canadian team only tested squid at a Chinese grocery because they deliberately decided to expand their surveillance beyond poultry, beef, and pork, which are more commonly tested. International travel has helped spread antibiotic resistance, so it follows that international trade of food could, too. Indeed, we should watch what we eat.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/cdc-vim-squid/

Scary stuff going into the future

Feds Auctioning Off Drug Dealer Bitcoins at Liquidation Prices

lajbrcdewujkuszt2qee.jpg

The FBI doesn't care much for the future of cryptocurrency: over $17 million worth of wacky internet money, seized from internet drug barons on the Silk Road, will be dumped via auction. Now's your chance to buy some bargain Bitcoins and feel like you're in a cool crime thriller.

The auction itself, which the Wall Street Journal smartly speculates could depress the value of Bitcoin worldwide, begins June 27th. So, you have until then to get the $200,000 deposit together (that's US dollars, not pixel dust) before the bidding begins. If that's too much, too soon, this is just the beginning: the Journal also reports that FBI auctioneers are preparing to offload another (roughly) $83 million worth of seized Silk Road coins sometime down the line.

nejwoxaf6abngglniein.png

This must represent some sort of turning point for the still-shady virtual currency. Bitcoin now it joins the company of tinted pink hummers, jet skis—and of course, cold hard cash—in the pantheon of seized drug dealer accoutrements.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/assets/2014/bitcoins/

Here is your chance to get into that sweet, sweet unstable currency game you've been looking for. I do find it weird they are auctioning it off though. Why don't they just cash it in? I don't recall any other drug bust leading to the government auctioning off any other large sums of currency.

This sauce is so hot that the cook has to wear a gas mask

arvndpxv5njafc2gnww6.jpg

Muhammad Karim—the cook at Bindi Restaurant, in Lincolnshire, England—is the inventor of the Atomic Kick Ass Drumsticks. He has to wear a gas mask when he prepares the sauce to stop the vapors getting into his nose. Inhalation of those vapors can cause facial paralyses or even death by asphyxia.

The sauce contains two of the spiciest chillies in the world—including the Carolina Reaper which hits 1,569,300 on the Scoville heat measurement scale.

If you think you can handle spicy the restaurant offers the "Atomic Kick Ass Challenge", for the chance to win £100, $168. All you have to do is eat 10 drumsticks covered in sauce in less than 15 minutes. Only 20 people have taken the challenge so far, and the record currently stands at 2 drumsticks.

But this story will sound familiar to the fans of the TV show Man v Food. His host, Adam Richman, had to eat a curry with a super-spicy sauce that has to be prepared also with a gas mask on.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/10/gas-m...t-paralyses-your-face-for-30-minutes-4756874/

I'd love to give these a try but sadly I'm not in the UK. Someone over there should try them out and report back to us

The Globe and Mail said:
Toronto Kite Flying Ban

... The city has summarily banned all kites from Milliken Park, a 32-hectare green space and unofficial home of a game that sees skilled kite-masters manoeuvre their flying contraptions to slice their opponents' strings.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...n-flies-in-face-of-traditions/article4180022/

But the city councillor who pushed for the ban says this is a case where public safety must trump cultural accommodation: The contests leave the park littered with dangerous kite line, some of it metallic or coated in glass. “People have called my office and said they've been cut by it,” Chin Lee said. “In one case, a person's ear was seriously cut by it ... I've been sent pictures of birds hanging from the kite strings in the tree.”

*Reads through thread... then reads Kites being banned*

2vikrp2.jpg

Escaped Bull Shot Dead in the Middle of Baltimore

766341380220192688.jpg

Sad news out of Maryland: This morning, a bull escaped from...somewhere and took off running through the middle Baltimore, where police eventually shot him dead.

From the Baltimore Sun:

Pictures and video posted on social media showed the bull trotting eastbound in the North Avenue median near Linden Avenue. The bull made it near the intersection of North Charles and Preston streets before it was shot by police officers. A throng of gawkers emerged to see the felled animal.

There was no immediate word on where the bull came from.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-loose-20140613,0,5730280.story#ixzz34XBOIx6Q

Well that sucks, I guess there weren't any cowboys able to round him up

It reminds me of the moose and deer we usually see in the news up here. Every few weeks during spring and summer there's a news article about one of them playing in traffic.

We'll All Be Dying In Debtors' Prisons Soon

pqwifnnt3ymfx9ahy3bm.jpg

A woman in Pennsylvania was imprisoned for failing to pay a debt to the state. And then she died in her cell.

Eileen DiNino was 55 at the time of her death on Saturday, and had seven children. Her teenage sons were not so great at attending school, and her children had apparently accrued over fifty truancy violations. This left her DiNino with a debt to the state of about $2,000. Not all of it was the truancy fees; some were administrative costs that had been added. According to the Associated Press:

DiNino's court file shows a laundry list of court fees for one case alone: $8 for a "judicial computer project"; $60 for Berks County constables; $10 for postage. And she had been cited dozens of times over the years.

Her cases, according to the Reading Eagle, had been split between two judges. One of them said he was fed up with her never bringing any documentation to court which explained why she couldn't pay the fines. The other says he saw a more complicated situation:

Scott said he has known the DiNino family for about 15 years. He said Eileen DiNino came to his court in October to tell him she wanted to pay her fines but couldn't and still keep the lights on in her house and feed her children.

"She didn't have a job," Scott said. "She was living in a house owned by a family member."

"We sat and talked for a long time in my office and I could see that she couldn't pay the fines, that she tried to make her sons go to school but there is only so much a parent can do," Scott added. "I cleared all her cases last year."

That two judges came to such different readings of DiNino's situation really tells you all you need to know about a case like this. She was at the mercy of a judge's discretion. And some judges are thorough, will invite you to chambers, discuss things with you. Others will be disgusted because you didn't show up at the right day and time carrying the right kind of documentation.

There is little enough known yet about how DiNino died to determine whether her imprisonment literally caused it. All we know is that she was on medications for anxiety, high blood pressure, and bipolar disorder when she went into the county prison. And that the officials say they didn't administer any medication to her in the 24 hours she was there.

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-jailed-over-truancy-fines-found-dead-cell-173817240.html

This is pretty messed up all the way around.

NJ Residents: Hump Animals Now While You Have the Chance

qzt8mgclusx4wgfivn2e.jpg

The New Jersey legislature is preparing to ban bestiality in this year of our Lord, 2014. State residents, if your thing is dolphins, cows, whatever — the clock's ticking.

The bill was (unanimously!) approved by the Assembly Judiciary Committee yesterday and will now be put to the full Assembly. According to the Star-Ledger, it was suggested by an intern.

Assemblyman Jack Ciattarelli regrets not coming up with the idea to ban humping animals himself. "I wish I could take credit for the bill but I cannot," he said yesterday.

The intern who suggested the bill was likely concerned about a high profile 2009 case in which an alleged cow molester walked free under the states lax animal cruelty laws. Cow guy won't be so lucky next time, if the state Senate even bothers to bring up a partner bill. Which, so far, it has not.

If the legislature does manage to get this thing done, animal lovers should just retire to Florida. Bestiality is totally still legal there.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...utlawed_under_assembly_bill.html#incart_river

Is it just me or is it sad that we have to put in writing that these things shouldn't be done? Also had no idea people could do that here in FL

Family Turns Mother's Funeral Into "Party," Has Corpse Hold Menthol

czc62l84rduf4nh62lcp.jpg

Miriam "Mae Mae" Burbank's two daughters told WGNO in New Orleans that their mother was "full of life" and that they wanted her funeral to be just as lively. A "last party" if you will. So they convinced funeral directors to help stage her body with all of her favorite things: Busch beer, menthols, crossword puzzles, disco lights, and tiny New Orleans Saints helmets.

From WGNO:

Aside from the beer and menthol cigarette, Burbank is sitting at a table in a living room type setting. Also the Saints lover has her fingernail painted black and gold.

Burbank's daughters said other family members seemed to enjoy this fitting goodbye.

iteyhyh6qc9bb7b2t92n.jpg

http://wgno.com/2014/06/12/regular-lady-gets-awesome-funeral/#axzz34SaHoQzr

I almost put this in the good things thread but it's a bit on the strange side. But if that's how they wanted their mom to go out than who am I to judge? I'd love some crazy weirdness at my funeral to lighten the mood

The point of some funerals (not the posing of a dead body part) is to celebrate the life lived and mourn privately. I can see what they were going for with that. They even had an episode of Star Trek TNG about it.

There was a Cracked article from an undertaker talking about this very kind of thing just a few days ago. They do this for families more often than you think.

I read that same article, it was very good. I love Cracked, they do some of the best stuff on the net

http://humansarefree.com/2014/06/the-sumerian-king-list-spans-for-over.html

The Sumerian King List Spans for Over 241,000 Years Before a Great Flood

Out of the many incredible artefacts that have been recovered from sites in Iraq where flourishing Sumerian cities once stood, few have been more intriguing that the Sumerian King List, an ancient manuscript originally recorded in the Sumerian language, listing kings of Sumer (ancient southern Iraq) from Sumerian and neighbouring dynasties, their supposed reign lengths, and the locations of "official" kingship.

What makes this artefact so unique is the fact that the list blends apparently mythical pre-dynastic rulers with historical rulers who are known to have existed. The first fragment of this rare and unique text, a 4,000-year-old cuneiform tablet, was found in the early 1900s by German-American scholar Hermann Hilprecht at the site of ancient Nippur and published in 1906.

Since Hilprecht’s discovery, at least 18 other exemplars of the king’s list have been found, most of them dating from the second half of the Isin dynasty (c. 2017-1794 BCE.). No two of these documents are identical.
- See more at: http://humansarefree.com/2014/06/the-sumerian-king-list-spans-for-over.html#sthash.easwbS1M.dpuf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"