The Sarah Palin Thread: 'Controversial Controversy' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piper Palin is very much like her mother. I could see her getting into politics one day.

Palin's reality show hurt her big time.

My mom was a huge Palin fan - we are talking about true blue (red?) Momma Grizzly. She watched an episode of Palin's Alaska and couldn't get over how fake she seemed. Destroyed her cred in her eyes.

If Sarah Palin can't win over my mother, she can't win over anyone.

Well, it didn't help the fact that it went up against Sunday Night Football. There might have been a second season had it not gone against a program in which millions of people all over the country watch that airs the same time as this show. Never underestimate the power of the National Football League.

If I only had a choice between football and Palin's show....I'd read a book.

If I only had a choice between football and Palin's show....I'd read a book.

It's the 21st Century; we have more choices than just between Palin and NFL, although reading books (or ebooks on tablet computer) isn't a bad choice either.

Palin's reality show hurt her big time.

My mom was a huge Palin fan - we are talking about true blue (red?) Momma Grizzly. She watched an episode of Palin's Alaska and couldn't get over how fake she seemed. Destroyed her cred in her eyes.

If Sarah Palin can't win over my mother, she can't win over anyone.

It hurt me big time....I watched the first episode, and now I have to get therapy.....thank god the health insurance I have pays for that sort of thing....

It's like she only read the first half of the definition of blood libel....

I can't even be too mad at Sarah anymore. The people around her should protect her better than this. That was obviously a written speech and nobody thought to look it over or anything that might make her look stupid/bigoted?

Truly wrong phrase to use, I understand the point trying to be made, but totally wrong phrase to use. I agree with the majority of what she said, but the blood libel thing was just stupid....

"Mama Grizzlies" cracked me up.

She would be stupid to run. She'll lose the nomination, and even if she somehow wins it, get embarrassed by O.

That said, she is stupid (in recent years a politician, you betchya;) ). So she will run.

"Mama Grizzlies" cracked me up.

She would be stupid to run. She'll lose the nomination, and even if she somehow wins it, get embarrassed by O.

That said, she is stupid (in recent years a politician, you betchya;) ). So she will run.

Get embarassed by O. Do you mean Opra or Obama?

UPDATE: PALIN CONDEMNED FOR USE OF 'BLOOD LIBEL'
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/12/palin-criticized-for-using-blood-libel/

...just when I think she cannot get anymore out of touch or clueless. :dry:

I think this is too funny. I kind of feel for her because I wouldn't have known what that term means. But on the other hand, I've never heard the term so never would have used it. So in my mind either A) She or her writers heard this word, didn't know the meaning behind it, and just thought it fit, or B) knew what the word means and thought it was appropriate in this context.

But as for her response itself, it came off as way too defensive. She unironically blames the media for inciting hatred and vitriol by pointing out her use of hatred and vitriol. She plays the victim card once again. And maybe it's just me, but she seemed to be showing a guilty conscience.

I find it odd that the left is blaming the right for using signs/symbols and saying vitriol caused this tragedy when they have done the exact same thing years before. But, I don't feel bad for the right because they would have done the same thing.

I can't add much to what's already been said today...but here are my two cents on what she said.

1) She had to say something given the bad publicity of her awful, awful "Don't retreat, just RELOAD" map. And waiting four days was appropriate to not come out defensive in the wake of the tragedy. However, choosing the day of the memorial (where she would no doubt be compared and contrasted with the president) was unwise.

2) She should have come out and condemned the actions and called for unity. By becoming angry, defensive and going on the attack of her favorite target, "the media," despite however justified she personally felt, was a terrible idea. She made her response all about her and not the victims. By doing this she has enshrined her name and political legacy/baggage to this tragedy for the rest of her career.

3) The use of "blood libel" was stupid. I don't think she was being anti-semetic or drifting to the word because blood infers violence (as some on the left have said). But it was stupid as it is a loaded term with historical baggage that nobody for a minute believes she knew before this week (Sarah Palin the medieval scholar? Please!). It opens up attacks from offended Jewish communities, further draws attention to herself instead of the victims and draws a ridiculous analogy. She was clearly trying to sound like the martyr...but sorry Sarah, blood libel carries images of the burning and persecution of Jews, the inquisitions, the First Crusade starting by massacring Jews along the Rhine in 1096, etc. That is not the equivalent of being the subject of an angry Keith Olbermann rant.

4) Nobody is attacking her First Amendment rights. They are using their own to suggest Palin's angry rhetoric is unhelpful in this democracy when it conjures up images of assassination. An act of political violence that we were reminded of how horrible it was this weekend.

My two cents on the issue.

Last edited:
I find it odd that the left is blaming the right for using signs/symbols and saying vitriol caused this tragedy when they have done the exact same thing years before. But, I don't feel bad for the right because they would have done the same thing.

Right. I have always felt this excuse that some use when trying to defend their bad behavior that "The other side does it too." as no excuse and rather kinda childish.

Here is how it goes in politics: One side blames the other side for the same stuff they have done in the past. The other side takes defense and points out what the other side has done in the past. Absolutely nothing gets accomplished or resolved. Rinse and repeat.

Well, the right has perfected this fear mongering, IMO. Yes, both sides takes things to the extreme, but to me it seems conservatives are better at it, and better at getting away with it. And now a politician has been shot, as well as dozens of bystanders. But they don't want to take responsibility for their own words, and blame the media for bringing their words to light.

I think Sarah Palin has a right to be angry when people are blaming her for this event.

All this hysteria has been disgusting. And its disgusting we need a memorial broadcast on TV because of it. Why can't we just have respectful and quiet morning?

No one blamed her for the event. They blame her for the language she uses. She has no one to blame but herself for that. She can't blame the media for her language.

As for the memorial broadcast, Obama would have been criticizsed if he did have one. If you want quiet morning, turn your tv off.

Yes they have blamed her. She has a right to be upset and to upset herself.

Obama did have a memorial broadcast so what is your point? Its not a quiet morning, it happened in the evening. No one was desperate to hear from the President about this. This was not an event that shattered the nation. The media just whipped up a hysterical frenzy and started playing the blame game over this as it always happens when a shooting happens. ITS TALK RADIO ITS MOVIES ITS VIDEO GAMES ITS SARAH PALIN ITS THE TEA PARTY!

This is ridiculous. Obama compounded it by turning his speech into a pep rally.

Obama mispeaks and uses odd language all the time. And he can't go anywhere without his teleprompter. He has to comment on everything going on from Jersey Shore and Kanye West.

Obama is not a president. He's a media commentator.

Yes they have blamed her. She has a right to be upset and to upset herself.

They didn't blame her for the shooting, they pointed out the rhetoric they used.

Obama did have a memorial broadcast so what is your point? Its not a quiet morning, it happened in the evening. No one was desperate to hear from the President about this. This was not an event that shattered the nation. The media just whipped up a hysterical frenzy and started playing the blame game over this as it always happens when a shooting happens. ITS TALK RADIO ITS MOVIES ITS VIDEO GAMES ITS SARAH PALIN ITS THE TEA PARTY!

My point was that if he wasn't at the memorial he would have been criticized for that. He'll get criticized either way.

I think the word you're looking for is mourning.

How often does a congressperson get shot? It's kind of a big deal. This isn't just media hype.

They didn't blame her for the shooting, they pointed out the rhetoric they used.

Sounds like blame to me. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck it ain't a freaking goose.

My point was that if he wasn't at the memorial he would have been criticized for that. He'll get criticized either way.

I think the word you're looking for is mourning.

Maybe but any of Obama's camp are lying if they aren't looking at his approval ratings after something like this. Pretty obvious.

How often does a congressperson get shot? It's kind of a big deal. This isn't just media hype.

There are shootings like this that have been happening a lot lately that don't nearly get this type of coverage and nearly this hysteria. The only twist is that a congresswoman got shot. She's also not dead. She's responding to treatment and the doctors. So the next time a shooting like this happens and its not a congresswoman, I still want the President to attend the memorial. Be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"