Well Known Comic Book Fans

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics' started by Artistsean, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Artistsean Monkey Boy

Wasn't sure where to post this. But I thought it might be a nice, maybe helpful, idea to start a thread
    for well known comic fans. To show who the famous fans are, talk about how they are fans, and
    maybe help some people feel better about being comic book fans and less shameful about it (like its
    something to hide in public). Not that I or anyone else reading this is like that, just if there are those
    out there who feel that way this could help them feel better.
    So if you know any celebrities, authors, directors, comedians, news anchors, super models, wealthy
    billionaires, who like comics post them here. And maybe how you know they are comic fans and
    maybe what they are fans of. For example is the actor/singer a fan of the X-Men movies or the comics?
    I'll try to get us started with an obvious one:
    [​IMG]
    Sam Jackson, he was on a comic documentary saying he loves Frank Miller comics and recommends
    Sin City (I think he said) to anyone who wants to get into comics.

[​IMG]
    Patton Oswalt is a huge comic fan. In the Comedians of Comedy he and his friend Brian Posehn
    go to a local comic shop on Wednesday during their tour and talk about the advantages and dis-
    advantages of going in with a list. Plus he works comics into his act too. They both do.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Seth Meyers and Bill Hader talk to Wizard magazine about how much they LOVE comics.
    How they go to the local stores every Wednesday, how they are trying to get Alan Moore (I think it was)
    as a musical guest, and how Seth's favorite artist is Kevin Maguire.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rosario Dawson told Wizard Magazine that her uncle brings her a pile of comics to read on the
    set of her movies, and that she loves Green Lantern, Superman, and other superhero comics like that.

Feel free to post any well known celebrities who are comic fans here, maybe we can develop a huge list of names.

2. ShredderX Registered

I know Method Man , Ghostface Killah, and the RZA are comic book fans. Meth says he buys new comic's every week, and him and Ghostface's alter egos, Johnny Blaze and Tony Stark, are based on Ghostrider and Iron Man's alter egos.

3. Artistsean Monkey Boy

[​IMG]
    Nicolas Cage's real name is Nicolas Kim Coppola. He changed his name (not sure if legally) to Nick Cage
    after the Marvel comics character Luke Cage. He also named his son Kal El. Not sure if he actually buys
    comics today though.

[​IMG]
    British talk show host Jonathan Ross loves comics. He narrated and was sort of the star of a documentary
    (maybe even his idea) called Searching for Steve Ditko. It was all about Ditko (artist of Spider-Man)'s art and in
    the end he found Ditko and without cameras got to meet him alongside Niel Gaimen. Not sure if he actually buys
    comics today. I bet he does though.

[​IMG]
    Jorge Garcia is a comic fan as well, I saw him standing around Mike Allred's booth at the Comic Con one year.
    Didn't talk to him because I didn't want to bother him. Later he gave an interview to Comicvine.com

4. ShredderX Registered

Megan Fox is a fan. She's stated that Fathom is her favorite, but she also like Danger Girl and Midnight Nation.

5. ShredderX Registered

The Wayans brothers are comic book fans, and big fans of MAD magazine. Marlon has said that he always liked comic books, but couldn't afford them as kids. They even started their own comic book company called 5-D, and published a comic book a few years back called Super Bad James Dynomite.

6. ShredderX Registered

Sebastian Bach, lead singer of Skid Row has a huge comic book collection, and it was one of the few things that survived when his house was destroyed by Hurricane Irene.

7. nite-owl Registered

Federico Fellini was a fan of Marvel comics.

8. Baramos Registered

Can't believe we've gotten this far without mentioning Mark Hamill.

[​IMG]

9. Thwip! Registered

He also wrote a vampire/alien/noir comic series called Turf with Tommy Lee Edwards illustrating and currently writing America's Got Powers with Bryan Hitch on art. Met him when they released issue 1 and got chatting. The man knows his stuff....especially Spider-Man

10. Artistsean Monkey Boy

Awesome, I saw his wife walking around the convention. Same year she was putting
    out her First Class film she wrote the script for. She seemed in a huge rush. I'd love
    to hang out and talk about comics with him or other people at the con, like famous
    people I guess. He, in the documentary, seemed like a cool guy.

[​IMG]
    Deborah Ann Woll (name?) likes comics. She said in an interview after the summer
    than she and her friend went to the San Diego Comic Con 2012 as Axe Cop and her
    friend dressed as Flute Cop. She loves the con and comics and Axe Cop.
    [​IMG]

11. DeGenerate10 Br Ba

Kevin Smith and I believe Ben Affleck

12. Mace Dolex Powerful User

Bill Mumy who was a kid actor in the 60's Lost In Space TV show is a comic fan I think plus he's been in many genra shows like The Flash, Superboy, Babylon 5, Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

13. ShredderX Registered

Aaron McGruder, creator of the " Boondocks" cartoon and comic strip is a comic book fan, and a really big Anime and Manga fan, with " Cowboy Bebop " and " Samurai Champloo " being his favorite, and says that the Boondocks show is heavily influenced by the two. He is also a big Star Wars fan, and named his production company Rebel Base , based on his love of Star Wars.

14. Artistsean Monkey Boy

On the list of well known Comic book fans are:
    [​IMG]
    Barack Obama – President of the United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ryan Renolds is a big fan of Deadpool. So much so that he wants the movie to be
    just like the comic, with the charged skin, the costume, the breaking the fourth wall,
    and the zany humor. And I am not sure if this is true but
    [​IMG]
    Bruce Campbell (not sure if this is true but I read)
    [​IMG]
    John Goodman, makes me think he reads comics, otherwise why even bother giving
    a quote.
    [​IMG]
    Tori Amos I hear collects Vertigo and independent comics.

[​IMG]
    Jamie Alexander is apparently a big Comic Book Fan according to Thor director
    Kenneth Branagh (spelling?). He said that on set she knew more about comics than
    most everyone else there. And in an interview on tv said her favorites were Spider-Man
    and X-Men. Not sure if that means she still collects though.

#14 Artistsean, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  15. ShredderX Registered

Andy Hurley and Pete Wentz of the rock group Fallout boy are comic book fans, and they write comics themselves.

16. Artistsean Monkey Boy

17. jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

-Gerard Way. Writes comics (the Umbrella Academy),interned at DC and is friends with Grant Morrison.

18. ShredderX Registered

Can't forget about Will Wheaton

19. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

[​IMG]

Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine (among other bands) writes Orchid (published by Dark Horse comics)

20. ShredderX Registered

Jada Pinkett Smith once wrote a comic for Awesome Entertainment called " Menace ". Tyrese Gibson stated he wasn't much of a comic's fan growing up, but became one when he first attended comi-con,and was so impressed with comic book fans and cos-players, that he created the comic book " Mayhem " .

21. Artistsean Monkey Boy

Does he or she buy comics now?

[​IMG]
    Patrick Stewart does not simply stop at admitting to reading comics, he goes one step further.
    He actually wrote an introduction for the series "Tranmetrolpotian." Not sure what comics he
    reads because I couldn't find any Internet articles about any other specific titles.

I know talk show host Carrie Keagan goes to the Comic Con a lot, but is she a comic book reader/fan?

#21 Artistsean, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  22. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Alot of Rappers are comic book fans. XV, Eminem and Childish Gambino (Donald Glover from 30 Rock/Community are comic fans.
    Not only does Jonathan Ross write comics like Thwip! says he is also has one of the best classic era Marvel comic collection in the UK according to his friend Mark Millar.

Ross still regularly buys comics.

Jonathan Ross invited Eminem to his house and gave him comics. Jonathan Ross wife Jane Goldman is a screenwriter and wrote the screenplays for X-Men First Class, Stardust and Kick Ass.

Ross has also interviewed Alan Moore on his old radio show. Robert Downey Jr gave Jonathan Ross a signed Doctor Strange picture from the guys at Marvel.

This is Jonathan Ross Geek Man Cave/Comic room in his house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#22 chamber-music, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  23. Thwip! Registered

^^ that man is amazing, and such a gent

24. Ash J. Williams Hail to the king

Huh...I wonder what he thinks of the Army of Darkness comics.

That makes sense considering her relationship with Neil Gaiman.

25. Artistsean Monkey Boy

I wanna know which comics Bruce Campbell used to buy there. Superheroes? Horror? Indy? And thats
    interesting to hear about Niel Gaiman too. Also meant to say this earlier but thats cool to find out about
    Method Man and the other rappers who still buy comics to this day.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Both Jerry Seinfeld and Shaquille O Neal are huge Superman fans, Jerry had Superman stuff all over
    his set of his show and wrote a cartoon Superman into his credit card commercials and Shaq pays to
    convert everything (even his car and bed) to have Superman logos on them. Don't know if they actually
    buy comics now, but I think they used to read them.