Well Known Comic Book Fans

Artistsean

Monkey Boy
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this. But I thought it might be a nice, maybe helpful, idea to start a thread
for well known comic fans. To show who the famous fans are, talk about how they are fans, and
maybe help some people feel better about being comic book fans and less shameful about it (like its
something to hide in public). Not that I or anyone else reading this is like that, just if there are those
out there who feel that way this could help them feel better.
So if you know any celebrities, authors, directors, comedians, news anchors, super models, wealthy
billionaires, who like comics post them here. And maybe how you know they are comic fans and
maybe what they are fans of. For example is the actor/singer a fan of the X-Men movies or the comics?
I'll try to get us started with an obvious one:
images

Sam Jackson, he was on a comic documentary saying he loves Frank Miller comics and recommends
Sin City (I think he said) to anyone who wants to get into comics.

934385-pattonoswalt_large.jpg

Patton Oswalt is a huge comic fan. In the Comedians of Comedy he and his friend Brian Posehn
go to a local comic shop on Wednesday during their tour and talk about the advantages and dis-
advantages of going in with a list. Plus he works comics into his act too. They both do.
2689807-brian_posehn_1_large.jpg

1507487-seth_and_bill2.jpg

Seth Meyers and Bill Hader talk to Wizard magazine about how much they LOVE comics.
How they go to the local stores every Wednesday, how they are trying to get Alan Moore (I think it was)
as a musical guest, and how Seth's favorite artist is Kevin Maguire.
1507488-wizarduniverse_2033_1993530193.jpg

1441228-rosario_dawson_as_catwoman_and_wasp.jpg

Rosario Dawson told Wizard Magazine that her uncle brings her a pile of comics to read on the
set of her movies, and that she loves Green Lantern, Superman, and other superhero comics like that.

Feel free to post any well known celebrities who are comic fans here, maybe we can develop a huge list of names.

I know Method Man , Ghostface Killah, and the RZA are comic book fans. Meth says he buys new comic's every week, and him and Ghostface's alter egos, Johnny Blaze and Tony Stark, are based on Ghostrider and Iron Man's alter egos.

1231262-nicolas_cage_hair_super.jpg

Nicolas Cage's real name is Nicolas Kim Coppola. He changed his name (not sure if legally) to Nick Cage
after the Marvel comics character Luke Cage. He also named his son Kal El. Not sure if he actually buys
comics today though.

JonathanRoss_1402801c-300x187.jpg

British talk show host Jonathan Ross loves comics. He narrated and was sort of the star of a documentary
(maybe even his idea) called Searching for Steve Ditko. It was all about Ditko (artist of Spider-Man)'s art and in
the end he found Ditko and without cameras got to meet him alongside Niel Gaimen. Not sure if he actually buys
comics today. I bet he does though.

2230005-alcatraz_doc_comic_book_artist_2_super.jpeg

Jorge Garcia is a comic fan as well, I saw him standing around Mike Allred's booth at the Comic Con one year.
Didn't talk to him because I didn't want to bother him. Later he gave an interview to Comicvine.com
CV: What comics are you reading these days? Do you mainly stick to trades? Have you checked out
DC's "The New 52"?

JG: Have not. I started getting into the Alan Moore SWAMP THING issues. And I have a bunch of trades that are still
wrapped that I have to read. A bunch of Batman's like Long Halloween, Tales of the Demon and Greatest Stories.
I also picked up a book called Sasquatch which I'm looking forward to. I'm also going to start reading the Osamu Tezuka
Buddha graphic novels and I might take another crack at the Walking Dead. I couldn't get into the first trade when I
bought it but since I've become a huge fan of the show so I think that might be my in.

Megan Fox is a fan. She's stated that Fathom is her favorite, but she also like Danger Girl and Midnight Nation.

The Wayans brothers are comic book fans, and big fans of MAD magazine. Marlon has said that he always liked comic books, but couldn't afford them as kids. They even started their own comic book company called 5-D, and published a comic book a few years back called Super Bad James Dynomite.

Sebastian Bach, lead singer of Skid Row has a huge comic book collection, and it was one of the few things that survived when his house was destroyed by Hurricane Irene.

Can't believe we've gotten this far without mentioning Mark Hamill.

x35uki.jpg

Wikipedia said:
Hamill also directed and starred in the 2005 direct-to-DVD Comic Book: The Movie. A comic book fan who attended science fiction and comic conventions before he became famous, Hamill claimed that his character was based on an exaggerated version of himself. He and his crew shot most of the "mockumentary" film during the 2002 San Diego Comic-Con, and enlisted Stan Lee, Kevin Smith, and Hugh Hefner in small roles. The movie won an award for Best Live-Action DVD Premiere Movie at the 2005 DVD Exclusive Awards.

Hamill's acclaimed role as the Joker began in Batman: The Animated Series (1992–1995), and continued to many later spin-off series, video games and films. Hamill had initially played a guest voice role as corrupt businessman Ferris Boyle in the episode "Heart of Ice", and was delighted when offered the role of the Joker, one of his favorite characters, after the previous choice Tim Curry dropped out. The most prominent feature of his portrayal that has garnered such acclaim is his dynamic use of laughter to express the Joker's mood. Hamill referred to the Joker's laugh as being like a musical instrument and would practice laughing maniacally while driving to recording sessions. The incredible success of Hamill in this role not only was a rousing success in all regards, but put him in high demand as a voice-over actor of over-the-top cartoon villains.
Hamill also voiced the Joker in three episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, five episodes of The New Batman Adventures, five episodes of Justice League, and an episode of Static Shock. He also voiced the Joker in the theatrical film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) and the direct-to-video film Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000).[8]
The short-lived WB live action series, Birds of Prey, based on the comic book of the same title, featured a flashback sequence in which the Joker shoots Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and paralyzes her. This sequence featured Hamill voicing the Joker, dubbed over actor Roger Stoneburner whose facial structure more resembled the character. The actor's face was shot in the background so as to be slightly blurred. Hamill also voiced the Joker alongside his Batman: The Animated Series co-star Kevin Conroy as Batman and Jason Hillhouse as Dick Grayson in a feature of a storyboard scene included in the 2005 Special Edition DVD of Tim Burton's 1989 Batman film. This scene depicted the origin of Robin, which was not filmed because the producers felt it was out of place with the rest of the film.
Hamill has said that he has voiced the Joker for toys and amusement park rides. Although these jobs did not pay particularly well, he enjoyed even these small roles and admitted being protective of the character, expressing concern with others "sleeping in his sleeping bag". He also unapologetically self-identifies as a "real comic book nerd".[9] Hamill has portrayed the Joker in a few Batman-themed video games, notably Batman Vengeance, the Sega CD version of The Adventures of Batman & Robin, and in Batman: Arkham Asylum. Hamill again reprised his role of The Joker in the Asylum's sequel, Batman: Arkham City, as well as the computer and PlayStation 3 MMORPG DC Universe Online.[10] In May 2010, Hamill declared to IGN UK that his role in Arkham City would be his last as the Joker.[9] On October 19, 2011, shortly after the release of the game, he confirmed this on his Twitter account, saying "Hello/Goodbye Joker! I've enjoyed every minute behind the wheel of the Clown Prince’s crazy car — I'm going to miss him more than I can say!!".[11][12] However, he has expressed an interest in reclaiming the role were an adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke ever made. He encouraged fans to campaign for said adaptation, in a tweet made on October 24, 2011.[13] Since then, a Facebook page titled "Petition to get Mark Hamill to play the Joker in animated Killing Joke"[14] has been set up by his fans.

British talk show host Jonathan Ross loves comics. He narrated and was sort of the star of a documentary
(maybe even his idea) called Searching for Steve Ditko. It was all about Ditko (artist of Spider-Man)'s art and in
the end he found Ditko and without cameras got to meet him alongside Niel Gaimen. Not sure if he actually buys

He also wrote a vampire/alien/noir comic series called Turf with Tommy Lee Edwards illustrating and currently writing America's Got Powers with Bryan Hitch on art. Met him when they released issue 1 and got chatting. The man knows his stuff....especially Spider-Man

Awesome, I saw his wife walking around the convention. Same year she was putting
out her First Class film she wrote the script for. She seemed in a huge rush. I'd love
to hang out and talk about comics with him or other people at the con, like famous
people I guess. He, in the documentary, seemed like a cool guy.

2706835-debbb_deborah_ann_woll_14964844_415_281_super.jpg

Deborah Ann Woll (name?) likes comics. She said in an interview after the summer
than she and her friend went to the San Diego Comic Con 2012 as Axe Cop and her
friend dressed as Flute Cop. She loves the con and comics and Axe Cop.
Ax3gmnBCIAAQHmr.jpg:large

Bill Mumy who was a kid actor in the 60's Lost In Space TV show is a comic fan I think plus he's been in many genra shows like The Flash, Superboy, Babylon 5, Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Aaron McGruder, creator of the " Boondocks" cartoon and comic strip is a comic book fan, and a really big Anime and Manga fan, with " Cowboy Bebop " and " Samurai Champloo " being his favorite, and says that the Boondocks show is heavily influenced by the two. He is also a big Star Wars fan, and named his production company Rebel Base , based on his love of Star Wars.

On the list of well known Comic book fans are:
Aaron McGruder
Bill Mumy
Kevin Smith
Ben Affleck
Deborah Ann Woll
Jonathan Ross
Mark Hamill
Federico Fellini
Sebastian Bach
The Wayans brothers
Megan Fox
Nicolas Cage
Jorge Garcia
Method Man
Ghostface Killah
the RZA
Sam Jackson
Patton Oswalt
Brian Posehn
Seth Meyers
Bill Hader
Rosario Dawson
1073159-communist.jpg

Barack Obama – President of the United States
He is apparently a fan of Spider-Man and Conan (although confirmation of
which eras of these characters is still pending).
BUT it should also be noted that Barack commissioned Joe Quesada, Marvel’s head
man, for a piece of art. Joe confirmed that much of the story but wouldn’t reveal the
nature of the piece as he felt that Obama had commissioned it as a private citizen and
therefore it was nobody’s business but Barack’s.
672363-asm583_obama_cvr2nd_large.jpg

916621-ryan_reynolds_deadpool_xmen_super.jpg

Ryan Renolds is a big fan of Deadpool. So much so that he wants the movie to be
just like the comic, with the charged skin, the costume, the breaking the fourth wall,
and the zany humor. And I am not sure if this is true but
Ryan "Deadpool and GL" Reynolds has said he got into comics after learning
of a reference to him in a Deadpool issue from years ago.
1717760-_super.jpeg

Bruce Campbell (not sure if this is true but I read)
I know for a fact Bruce Campbell collects comics, as he used to visit the
store i used to go into. Nice guy.
john-goodman-pic.jpg

John Goodman, makes me think he reads comics, otherwise why even bother giving
a quote.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-0]"Mad Love is a happy blend of Harvey Kurtzman and Bob Kane.
A veritable primer of relationships in the '90's told with a nostalgic twist."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-0]- John Goodman. [/SIZE][/FONT]
428683-tori-amos_large.jpg

Tori Amos I hear collects Vertigo and independent comics.

1793797-jaimie_alexander_2010_gq_men_year_party_xf4n_6_hf0rl_super.jpg

Jamie Alexander is apparently a big Comic Book Fan according to Thor director
Kenneth Branagh (spelling?). He said that on set she knew more about comics than
most everyone else there. And in an interview on tv said her favorites were Spider-Man
and X-Men. Not sure if that means she still collects though.

Last edited:
Andy Hurley and Pete Wentz of the rock group Fallout boy are comic book fans, and they write comics themselves.

-Gerard Way. Writes comics (the Umbrella Academy),interned at DC and is friends with Grant Morrison.

images

Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine (among other bands) writes Orchid (published by Dark Horse comics)

Jada Pinkett Smith once wrote a comic for Awesome Entertainment called " Menace ". Tyrese Gibson stated he wasn't much of a comic's fan growing up, but became one when he first attended comi-con,and was so impressed with comic book fans and cos-players, that he created the comic book " Mayhem " .

Does he or she buy comics now?

948119-profx_super.jpg

Patrick Stewart does not simply stop at admitting to reading comics, he goes one step further.
He actually wrote an introduction for the series "Tranmetrolpotian." Not sure what comics he
reads because I couldn't find any Internet articles about any other specific titles.

I know talk show host Carrie Keagan goes to the Comic Con a lot, but is she a comic book reader/fan?

Last edited:
Alot of Rappers are comic book fans. XV, Eminem and Childish Gambino (Donald Glover from 30 Rock/Community are comic fans.

Not only does Jonathan Ross write comics like Thwip! says he is also has one of the best classic era Marvel comic collection in the UK according to his friend Mark Millar.

Ross still regularly buys comics.

Jonathan Ross invited Eminem to his house and gave him comics. Jonathan Ross wife Jane Goldman is a screenwriter and wrote the screenplays for X-Men First Class, Stardust and Kick Ass.

Ross has also interviewed Alan Moore on his old radio show. Robert Downey Jr gave Jonathan Ross a signed Doctor Strange picture from the guys at Marvel.

This is Jonathan Ross Geek Man Cave/Comic room in his house.

article_0_04e7d741000005dc_30_468x351.jpg

images_blogs_Jonathon_Ross_collecting_for_Sqrall.jpg

Last edited:
^^ that man is amazing, and such a gent

1717760-_super.jpeg

Bruce Campbell (not sure if this is true but I read)

I know for a fact Bruce Campbell collects comics, as he used to visit the
store i used to go into. Nice guy.
Huh...I wonder what he thinks of the Army of Darkness comics.

428683-tori-amos_large.jpg

Tori Amos I hear collects Vertigo and independent comics.
That makes sense considering her relationship with Neil Gaiman.

I wanna know which comics Bruce Campbell used to buy there. Superheroes? Horror? Indy? And thats
interesting to hear about Niel Gaiman too. Also meant to say this earlier but thats cool to find out about
Method Man and the other rappers who still buy comics to this day.

292066-jerry_seinfeld_net_worth_large.jpg
392136-95431-shaquille-o-neal_large.png

Both Jerry Seinfeld and Shaquille O Neal are huge Superman fans, Jerry had Superman stuff all over
his set of his show and wrote a cartoon Superman into his credit card commercials and Shaq pays to
convert everything (even his car and bed) to have Superman logos on them. Don't know if they actually
buy comics now, but I think they used to read them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"