Welling/Smallville influences in the Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony_Montana said:
Now did they say that because in an interview with Waid he said he was going to touch on that. Also Clark never asked she just up and left SV to get away when they finshed school.

Im going by the DC Comics Encyclopedia 2004 Edition. It's pretty accurate, as far as Birthright is concerned at least.

^^ That really does not come from Smallville it more or less comes from Birthright and Pre-Crisis Superman.

I'm putting it up just for comparison. And Birthright was designed to be a tie-in with Smallville obviously.

True they all come together in some small way but really Birthright is really more or less the way I look at it giving us back our Pre-Crisis Superman. You can say Smallville inspired the movement which got Birthright off the ground but in Birthright Smallville played no part to it. The only thing from Smallville that has been in the comics is with Supergirl having black K

Tony_Montana said:
True they all come together in some small way but really Birthright is really more or less the way I look at it giving us back our Pre-Crisis Superman. You can say Smallville inspired the movement which got Birthright off the ground but in Birthright Smallville played no part to it. The only thing from Smallville that has been in the comics is with Supergirl having black K

Along with the de-aging of the Kents.

Tony_Montana said:
You can say Smallville inspired the movement which got Birthright off the ground but in Birthright Smallville played no part to it. The only thing from Smallville that has been in the comics is with Supergirl having black K

:rolleyes: Waid himself said he took his inspiration from Smallville, and for god's sake look at how Clark, Lex, Lana, and the Kents are all depicted. Stop kidding yourself... anything not to give credit right?

The Incredible Hulk said:
:rolleyes: Waid himself said he took his inspiration from Smallville, and for god's sake look at how Clark, Lex, Lana, and the Kents are all depicted. Stop kidding yourself... anything not to give credit right?
yes:( because I think the two should stay far apart

Well back then it didnt matter. Smallville just came out and it's direction compared to the comics wasnt as divergent as it is today and Birthright reflected that.

I only wish Birthright didnt counter MoS so obviously, it caused alot of inconsistances that hopefully will be explained during Infinite Crisis.

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in..It kind of goes along with what we were discussing in the Reckoning thread about Lana being Clark's love, but not Superman's, but it really doesn't belong there.

It's more the reverse of this thread.. an example of something from the comics influencing SV.

In Hidden, Lana says to just-about-dead Clark:...I need you to know that from the first moment that I saw you, I knew that no one could make me happier than you. But, I also knew that you would never change. You would always be running around, trying to save the day. All those times I pushed away was because I knew this day would come...

Now look at what I just saw posted in another forum:
letter48xg.jpg

letter51ql.jpg

The words aren't exactly the same.. but the sentiment is.
Btw..I'd love to know the name of the comic these panels are from, if anyone knows.

*sniff* :(

omg serene that strip gave me a tear & sniff..

wait no, my windows open... *shudders

haha

and PLEASE someone tell us where the strip is from? thats like the kind of comics i'd LOVE to read about clark, lana, & superman.

Lana loves Clark, thats obvious. She always did....even into adulthood...her marriage with Pete Ross fell apart.

Clark never loved Lana though....it was like the Clark/Chloe relationship. It worked out much better that way. Lois wasnt sloppy seconds.

Secrets and lies between Clark and Lana wonder where they got that from?

That's really a beautiful passage, Serene. Nice find!

Could someone tell me where that was from? I dont seem to remember it...and what year? It was obviously some years ago since it looks like it was before the Kents got de-aged in Birthright.

Serene if Smallville ends anywhere near like that strip, I think I'll be a mess for a week or maybe more. :(

That was beautiful, I didnt know comic books could be so emotional.

Kudos to the writer of that strip.

avidreader said:
Serene if Smallville ends anywhere near like that strip, I think I'll be a mess for a week or maybe more. :(

That was beautiful, I didnt know comic books could be so emotional.

Kudos to the writer of that strip.

Comic books aren't just for kids, avid. I have started reading them again thanks to renewed interest in all things Superman (thanks to Smallville) and I love them. They do often tell extremely compelling stories.

triplet said:
Comic books are just for kids, avid. I have started reading them again thanks to renewed interest in all things Superman (thanks to Smallville) and I love them. They do often tell extremely compelling stories.

They are or they arent for kids. :confused:

I dont have a problem with the stories they have in them, I just dont enjoy reading the way they are formatted. I never know which way to go. Just a personal thing.

I did read Birthright and Superman for All Seasons, and enjoyed them immensely.

avidreader said:
They are or they arent for kids. :confused:

Oops. Aren't... typos happen. :D

avidreader said:
I dont have a problem with the stories they have in them, I just dont enjoy reading the way they are formatted. I never know which way to go. Just a personal thing.

I did read Birthright and Superman for All Seasons, and enjoyed them immensely.

Me, I get so much out of them but I love the art too, not just the stories. They are usually beautifully drawn and colored nowadays. No longer are they the washed out newsprint colors of when I was reading comics while I was a kid.

The colors are richer and darker and there is a lot more attention paid to composition than I think used to be. The characters looked more flat back then too.

I really like them, although sometimes I agree it's hard to get used to the order you need to read the panels when they get creative, but still... I find them highly enjoyable.

The Incredible Hulk said:

I found it at ComicBook Resources:
Mark Waid said:
Another specific example of Waid's contribution to the new Superman timeline is the reinterpretation of Lex Luthor and while there may be elements that seem new, Waid is happy to give credit where credit is due. "My take on Lex is pretty much Elliot Maggin's take--thanks again, Elliot! [laughter].

Mark Waid said:
There've been comments that the television series "Smallville" has been influencing Waid's take on The Man Of Steel and while he admits to being a fan, he says it isn't dictating the events of "Birthright." "I love 'Smallville' and won't miss an episode, and it's every bit as influential as the rest of Superman's grand history--but no more so or no less so. For instance, I would have wanted to put young Luthor back in Smallville regardless of the TV series. I will, however, cop to the fact that it was 'Smallville' that showed me with stunning clarity how cool it would be to have Ma and Pa Kent actually be parents, not kindly, white-haired grandparent-types. [laughter]"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=3385

Serene said:
I wasn't sure which thread to post this in..It kind of goes along with what we were discussing in the Reckoning thread about Lana being Clark's love, but not Superman's, but it really doesn't belong there.

It's more the reverse of this thread.. an example of something from the comics influencing SV.

In Hidden, Lana says to just-about-dead Clark:...I need you to know that from the first moment that I saw you, I knew that no one could make me happier than you. But, I also knew that you would never change. You would always be running around, trying to save the day. All those times I pushed away was because I knew this day would come...

Now look at what I just saw posted in another forum:
letter48xg.jpg

letter51ql.jpg

The words aren't exactly the same.. but the sentiment is.
Btw..I'd love to know the name of the comic these panels are from, if anyone knows.

*sniff* :(

I'm pretty sure thats from Action Comics #800. I'm not home and cant say it without doubt but if someone had a gun to my head, I'd say that was it...

It has this cover:
drewstruzman03action800.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija