The Avengers Were the Avengers a formal team by the end of the movie? [Spoilers]

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
Were the Avengers a formal team by the end of the movie? Unless I missed something, it seemed they just went their separate ways. They hadn't decided to operate as a team together (other than taking on the Chitauri in NYC) and didn't move into a mansion (or Stark Tower). It seemed as if they would just band together as and when there was a global threat, but otherwise do their own thing in the meantime, much like the Defenders, who were a non-team.

Also, Fury only gave Cap and Stark the pep talk after Coulson had died. Thor and Hulk were off the ship (and Banner already thought they weren't a team but a time bomb), and Natasha and Barton weren't around either. Also would Hawkeye and Black Widow just stop working for SHIELD and join a new team?

There didn't seem to be an indication that they all thought "hey we work rather well together, so let's stick together from now on." There wasn't even a feeling that they broke away from SHIELD to be their own separate entity.

So were they really a team, or is that something that will be explored in a few years time in the sequel (and not addressed in any of their own solo movies)?

I don't think they needed to agree on being a team. It's probably just assumed with all of them that if things get so big again they would band together. Also maybe Stark let it be known the Avengers will be there by not fixing the sign on the building.

Man you're on a roll today with these "it didn't seem like in the movie" threads.

It looked to me like they plan on reuiniting. Stark was designing a new tower with a space for a jet. This tells me he was designing a home for the Avengers.

Man you're on a roll today with these "it didn't seem like in the movie" threads.

How is the Jane Foster thread one of those? That was a "would you have preferred her in place of Selvig?" question. It's not like I was saying it didn't seem like Jane Foster wasn't in there, because she wasn't.

How is the Jane Foster thread one of those? That was a "would you have preferred her in place of Selvig?" question. It's not like I was saying it didn't seem like Jane Foster wasn't in there, because she wasn't.

The battle clearly shows they can exist as a team and they were a team. Fury even grand stands about it at the end the movie. The answer to your question is as light as day.

I'd say they were loosely together but also fragmented. You have Cap joining team SHIELD with Widow and Hawkeye. Iron Man's connection to them is yet to be seen, will it get closer I don't know? Banner finally found somone he can be himself with as a friend as shown when Tony took him home to play with his toys. Thor on the other hand, doesn't really have a reason to come back

The battle clearly shows they can exist as a team and they were a team. Fury even grand stands about it at the end the movie. The answer to your question is as light as day.

You're missing the point, so clearly you're still in the dark. Of course they can function as a team. The question is whether they are a formal team or one who just band together in times of emergencies.

You're missing the point, so clearly you're still in the dark. Of course they can function as a team. The question is whether they are a formal team or one who just band together in times of emergencies.

Do you need them to actually have a moment in the movie where they show their Avengers membership cards to be formally indoctrinated? They're a team when Earth needs them .... they explicitly tell you this in the film.

Do you need them to actually have a moment in the movie where they show their Avengers membership cards to be formally indoctrinated? They're a team when Earth needs them .... they explicitly tell you this in the film.

Don't forget the matching jumpsuits. You need to have matching jumpsuits or you're not a "formal" team ;)

You still miss the point. The Avengers were always different from the Defenders (who only banded together as and when the situation needed). The Avengers (apart from a few) lived and trained together like the X-Men and Fantastic Four, and had board meetings with a chairman. The movie version doesn't indicate they will be like this - hence the intial question.

The scenario you describe is more of a "team up", just like all the Marvel team ups between Spider-Man and someone else in that comic series. Those were never formal teams or partnerships, but dissolved once the emergency was over.

The build up of The Avengers was similar to the Ultimates universe version, but by the end of the film they've become more like the 616 version. S.H.I.E.L.D don't have control of them anymore, like Fury said, they will be back when needed by their own.

I don't know if they will have weekly poker matches though, but they did have a shawarma as a group.:oldrazz:

You still miss the point. The Avengers were always different from the Defenders (who only banded together as and when the situation needed). The Avengers (apart from a few) lived and trained together like the X-Men and Fantastic Four, and had board meetings with a chairman. The movie version doesn't indicate they will be like this - hence the intial question.

The scenario you describe is more of a "team up", just like all the Marvel team ups between Spider-Man and someone else in that comic series. Those were never formal teams or partnerships, but dissolved once the emergency was over.

Fury's words were they will be there when we need them (even talked about them needing the right push to work together) ....so they are a team, regardless of whether or not they train and use the shake weights together at the Avengers mansion, which btw was subtly eluded to with the A left on Stark Tower.

I don't really think they are a 'team' I took it as... they are a team whenever aliens attack.
Tony is still more of a solo guy and probably won't just drop everything whenever SHIELD calls and is probably to big an ego to call for help (Warmachine?). Bruce/Hulk is still a wild card even if he is partly controlled and shouldn't be called in for everything. Thor is off Earth most of the time.

I do expect Blackeye/Black Widow cameos or to at least be mentioned in Captain America's films as Steve seems to not mind working with SHIELD.

I see what you're saying, and I still think they are a formal team simply because they will be able to reach other extremely quickly whenever they need to.

I don't think we need to have a super detailed official statement saying that the Avengers are now a formal team. At the end of the movie, it looked like everyone is on good terms with one another and I am sure they will be working together in the future when something big happens again. I don't see how Hawkeye and Black Widow can't work under both SHIELD and the Avengers. I actually like the idea of them just doing their own thing and they will come together or help one another when it is needed.

Fury's words were they will be there when we need them (even talked about them needing the right push to work together) ....so they are a team, regardless of whether or not they train and use the shake weights together at the Avengers mansion, which btw was subtly eluded to with the A left on Stark Tower.

So in other words they are like the Defenders: A non team who only band together in times of emergencies, and not like they are in every other incarnation of the Avengers. During all other times they never are together but do their own thing.

It makes them much like musicians/singers who occasionally work together on a project (eg Bryan Adams, Sting and Rod Stewart on that song they did) and might even agree to do so whenever needed, but aren't formally a band in the same way as any others such as the Beatles and all other bands who practice, tour and make public appearances together as an official unit.

I don't really think they are a 'team' I took it as... they are a team whenever aliens attack.

Tony is still more of a solo guy and probably won't just drop everything whenever SHIELD calls and is probably to big an ego to call for help (Warmachine?). Bruce/Hulk is still a wild card even if he is partly controlled and shouldn't be called in for everything. Thor is off Earth most of the time.

I do expect Blackeye/Black Widow cameos or to at least be mentioned in Captain America's films as Steve seems to not mind working with SHIELD.

This is the impression I got. It might be a necessity (as far as Marvel Studios reason) in order to allow the heroes to have their own individual movies in the intervening time, otherwise why not call on their teammates?

So in other words they are like the Defenders: A non team who only band together in times of emergencies, and not like they are in every other incarnation of the Avengers. During all other times they never are together but do their own thing.

It makes them much like musicians/singers who occasionally work together on a project (eg Bryan Adams, Sting and Rod Stewart on that song they did) and might even agree to do so whenever needed, but aren't formally a band in the same way as any others such as the Beatles and all other bands who practice, tour and make public appearances together as an official unit.

What is the point of playing this game of semantics? You clearly have your own litmus test for what a team is. Why even call them "The Avengers" then? Should just be called "Guy in suits who show up from time to time."

They have to be able to go do their own thing because they have solo films to take care of! But when Earth is threatened, they act as a cohesive unit .... a team. This is not that complicated. They can be a team whether they are around each other 24/7 or not. Does the entire LA Lakers basketball team stay at one residence 24/7? No.

That's what the Avengers are. They aren't a formal team--it's just that when the threat is too great, Fury calls them in and then they'll come together and fight as a team.

Other than that, they continue on with their lives solo.

What is the point of playing this game of semantics? You clearly have your own litmus test for what a team is. Why even call them "The Avengers" then? Should just be called "Guy in suits who show up from time to time."

They have to be able to go do their own thing because they have solo films to take care of! But when Earth is threatened, they act as a cohesive unit .... a team. This is not that complicated. They can be a team whether they are around each other 24/7 or not. Does the entire LA Lakers basketball team stay at one residence 24/7? No.

Message boards are full of "semantics", in case you haven't noticed before, especially these types of boards, so what's your problem with discussing this matter? You undoubtedly were prejudiced against the thread in the first place though, as evidenced by your first post where you accused me of starting up many similar threads, of which that wasn't the case: was the Jane Foster one this type of question? Was the Gwyneth Paltrow one about this? If you don't like this thread, then don't come in instead of trying to put an end to the discussion, which you have been from the start.

I understand they have their own solo films, and I've acknowledged that above. However, everyone knows that the Avengers in all other media aren't these individuals who only come together in times of emergency but are a team who function together like the FF or X-Men.

That's what the Avengers are. They aren't a formal team--it's just that when the threat is too great, Fury calls them in and then they'll come together and fight as a team.

Other than that, they continue on with their lives solo.

Sorry, but that's not the case. Throughout their history, they haven't been responding to calls by Fury. It's only a recent thing with the Ultimate universe where they were assembled by Fury. They've always operated independently of him, not responding to his beck and call and not operating by his rules.

I understand they have their own solo films, and I've acknowledged that above. However, everyone knows that the Avengers in all other media aren't these individuals who only come together in times of emergency but are a team who function together like the FF or X-Men.

This is not the comics. This is the MCU. They are a team in their team up movies and operate on solo missions in their solo movies. The movie spells it out for you that they will return when needed, so always an "Avenger" whether they're together or not. They will not have to be re-scouted or analyzed for worthiness again.

I see what you're saying, and I still think they are a formal team simply because they will be able to reach other extremely quickly whenever they need to.

what I wanna know is how they were able to talk to each other from a distance throughout the movie

I am not going to take part of this, but the only thing I have to say is..

Dark Raven.... :doh:

what I wanna know is how they were able to talk to each other from a distance throughout the movie

Yeah, they didn't exactly spell it out but I don't think it's that necessary either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"