What Are Your Favourite Comic Stories, Issues and Runs of All Time?

I.ve enjoyed most of D C's "Elseworlds" titles. Especially "Speeding Bullets".

All Star Superman, I feel, is the greatest story in the history of comics.

Grant Morrisons run on Batman is the best Batman story ever.

I obviously like Grant Morrison, but i fully stand behind both of these.

Wolfman and Perez on New Teen Titans
Alan Moore on Swamp Thing
Grant Morrison on Batman, JLA, Doom Patrol and Seven Soldiers
All-Star Superman
Englehart and Rogers on Batman
Alan Moore's Superman stories
Johns on Green Lantern, the Flash (first run) and Aquaman
Marston and Peters on Wonder Woman/Sensation Comics/Comics Cavalcade
Rucka on Wonder Woman (both times)
Rucka and Williams III on Batwoman

1. Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans

2. Byrne/Claremont's Uncanny X-Men series

3. Stan Lee/John Romita's run on The Amazing Spider-Man

4. Bendis/Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man

As for Story arcs:

1. NTT's Judas Contract

2. Uncanny X-Men's God Loves, Man Kills

3.ASM's The Night Gwen Stacy Died

4. USM's Venom storyline

5. Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn

I just read Green Lantern: Circle of Fire and I found that absolutely excellent ! Great touching read. :up:

Since this is a DC thread, I'll only refer to DC comics.

Of course, these include some of the best comics ever written, so that's not really much of a limitation.

I'll confine myself to a top ten.

1. Batman: the Dark Knight Returns

2. Watchmen

3. Batman:Year One

4. John Byrne's Man of Steel

5. All Star Superman

6. Kingdom Come

7. Crisis on Infinite Earths

8. Flash: The Return of Barry Allen

9. Superman: Brainiac

10. Grant Morrison's Earth 2

Since this is a DC thread, I'll only refer to DC comics.

Of course, these include some of the best comics ever written, so that's not really much of a limitation.

I'll confine myself to a top ten.

1. Batman: the Dark Knight Returns

2. Watchmen

3. Batman:Year One

4. John Byrne's Man of Steel

5. All Star Superman

6. Kingdom Come

7. Crisis on Infinite Earths

8. Flash: The Return of Barry Allen

9. Superman: Brainiac

10. Grant Morrison's Earth 2

You can include Marvel comics too. I would like to know what Marvel ones you like too, if you don't mind.

Last edited:
You can include Marvel comics too. I would like to know what Marvel ones you like too, if you don't mind.

Okay, fair enough, here's my top 10 marvel comics. These are mostly from the 80's because to be honest it was impossible to keep up with storylines inthe 90s because crossovers got out of control.

1. John Byrne and Chris Claremont on the Xmen : greatest Marvel team up ever, their stuff is legendary, and at the very top the Dark Phoenix saga.

2. John Byrne (what can I say, I love the guy's work) and his runs on:
- West Coast Avengers, Namor, and of course Fantastic Four ( best FF stories ever, IMO) and Alpha Flight ( I'm originally from Canada).

3. God Loves Man Kills, beautifully drawn, painful to read (especially in light of recent racial tensions in the USA), uses the N word but in such a way that it makes sense. Most moving X-Men story (possibly as much as Dark Phoenix) by Chris Claremont.

4. Machine Man limited series, drawn by Barry Windsor Smith. Beautiful artwork and a simple but solid story.

5. Elektra Assassin: Frank Miller's second greatest work, and the most amazing trippy artwork by Bill Sienkiewicz - I got him to sign my 20 year old copy of it when he was down here in 2014, and he said he loved seeing his work looking dog-eared and well read (as my copy certainly is).

6. Secret Wars, the original 1985 version - some hated it, I loved it, I remember waiting anxiously for each issue.

7. Squadron Supreme, limited series, again from the 80's. Decades ahead of its time - basically the blueprint for "Injustice" ( what if the JLA took over the world ?)

8. Wolverine mini series (Claremont and Miller), needs no qualification.

9. Miller again, on Daredevil, the whole saga with Elektra and the "Born Again " story arc. The Tv show pretty much owes everything to Miller's legendary run.

10. Walt Simonson on Thor: just magic really, read a couple of those and issues and you'll probably feel really let down by the Thor movies (which aren't bad). Almost as good was Simonson's run on X-Factor.

note: Simonson also drew the crossover between Teen Titans and the X-Men, it was a thing of beauty, and I regret giving my copy away.

I have a lot of old comics from the 1960s (a few are on my website in case anyone is interested). I haven't read them in years so they may not be as good as I remember them LOL.

My 2 favorites were the FF teaming with Daredevil (39 and 40) and the introduction of the Inhumans (44-47). More episodes than anything else.

I also loved the Superman comics from that era.

Nothing in superhero comics will ever beat the original Stan Lee runs on Spider-Man and Fantastic Four IMO.

I'm a huge fan of artists working on their own creations. Erik Larsen and Savage Dragon is another fave of mine.

I died a little inside when I found out that Curious George stories are still being made today so long after the passing of H. A. and Margret Rey.

It hurts my soul when once amazing creations are kept on life support for money.

Last edited:
Nothing in superhero comics will ever beat the original Stan Lee runs on Spider-Man and Fantastic Four IMO.

I'm a huge fan of artists working on their own creations. Erik Larsen and Savage Dragon is another fave of mine.

I died a little inside when I found out that Curious George stories are still being made today so long after the passing of H. A. and Margret Rey.

It hurts my soul when once amazing creations are kept on life support for money.

Expect my friend request soon. :woot: I'd add Journey into Mystery with the Mighty Thor, Strange Tales, and a few more.

Never gave Savage Dragon a chance. I really didn't like his Spider Man. I felt like he was trying to do a more cartoony version of Macfarland

Long time listener, first time caller.

In no particular order, sticking to DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm:

1. Goodwin/Simonson's Manhunter
2. Gaiman's Death: The High Cost of Living
3. Ellis' Planetary
4. Millar's The Authority
5. Miller's Batman: Year One
6. Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
7. Simone's Clean Room
8. Carey's Lucifer (particularly the very first story arc)
9. Gaiman's The Sandman: The Wake
10. Morrison's Batman and Robin (Must Die)

In no particular order...

Watchmen
Superman : Secret Origin
Superman : Birthright
Batman : Earth One & Two
Batman : The Man Who Laughs
Batman : The Killing Joke
Kingdom Come

Last edited:
Top eleven (just so I can include TDKReturns);

1. Kingdom Come
2. The Killing Joke
3. Red Son
4. JL: Throne of Atlantis
5. Infinite Crisis
6. Injustice: Gods Among Us
7. Man-Thing: Night of the Laughing Dead/And When I Died...
8. JL: A League of One
9. JL: Origin (New 52)
10.Watchmen
11.The Dark Knight Returns

From my personal readings and in no order here are the books/stories/run I would suggest:

• Jack Kirby's Fourth World
  • Batman: Dark Knight, Dark City
  • Streets of Gotham
  • The Man Without Fear
  • Lobo: Portrait of a Bastich
  • 100 Bullets
  • Kingdom Come
  • Wizard: Spider-Man Masterpiece Edition
  • Battling Boy
  • I Kill Giants
  • Blacksad
  • Green Lantern by Geoff Johns omnibus
  • any Lucky Luke by Morris & Goscinny
  • Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles - Colored Classics: The Works
  • The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library
  • Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Don Rosa Library
  • Spirou and Fantasio: QRN over Bretzelburg
  • The Nikopol Trilogy
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets
  • Franquin's Last Laugh
  • Rocketeer
  • Vengeance of Bane
  • Transmetropolitan
  • any Asterix by Goscinny and Uderzo
  • Akira
  • Nausicaä
  • any comics by Mark Millar

There are to many Batman stories for me and I don't want to put down the standard list: TKJ, DKR TLH.

Dark Knight, Dark City comes to mind. Awesome Riddler story (been collected in a trade recently)
Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's Batman run (allmost all great short stories, introducing many villains like Anarky, Corrosive Man and Cornelius Stirk).
Also Batman 1989's comicbook treatment is a grat read with great artwork.
Venom and Shamaan (two of the best LOTDK stories).
And I have a special place in my heart for a Lonely Place of Dying, it's maybe the best Robin/Batman story ever written (click, wrrrrr)

But the BEST comic I ever read was the original B&W The Crow by James 'O'Barr. That man put all his pain in this story and it shows. Must read.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"