What did you like better Batman (1989) or Daredevil?

I have big problems with both of them. I still find it amazing that some people can find Spider-Man unfaithful because of organic webs and a movie where Daredevil is introduced as a ruthless vigilante murderer is all faithful. Daredevil had serious plot/pacing problems, and Batman was really not nearly as faithful as it could have been, ended up being more of a Joker movie.

I found Dardevil to be a better movie, although both of them were very bad IMHO.

Getting drenched with colostomy bag substances is better than seeing Daredevil in my opinion. So Batman it is

DD was better than Batman in several areas but unfortunately didn't take it far enough. The Director's Cut will improve it significantly, but Batman still wins.

Oh, and you have to take time into consideration. Of course the fights in DD were superior. Batman didn't have the luxury of CGI and wire-work back then.

Either way, Nolan's film should kick everyone's ass.

you seem pretty confident about this Director's Cut....what if it sucks!? nah, i;m just joking around with you. It actually might be, the trial scenes with Coolio will probably add the character depth that Murdock lacked

Batman! The Daredevil script scuked ass we all have to admit...Burton made Batman great! And so did BOB! hehe.. Oh, and Batman Fight Scenes ruled, they were more real than all of that CG ****!

Originally posted by MJZ
DD was better than Batman in several areas but unfortunately didn't take it far enough. The Director's Cut will improve it significantly, but Batman still wins.

Oh, and you have to take time into consideration. Of course the fights in DD were superior. Batman didn't have the luxury of CGI and wire-work back then.

Either way, Nolan's film should kick everyone's ass.

Dude there's a little film called Superman that came out almost a decade before Batman and I don't hear too many ppl complaining about the non cgi FX in that film. Case closed.

I think the main reason why everyone likes Batman so much is because they're all comparing it to the 1960s series whether they are consciously doing it or not. Tim Burton has never been able to direct anything good with action or cgi in it. Batman is a great example of a film with all style and no substance, MUCH more so than Daredevil. At least in DD they actually made a good effort at developing the main character instead of reducing him to a one dimensional statue like they did with Batman. A one dimensional character that kills criminals of all things. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by zanos
I hated Batman when I first saw it and I wasn't a very descriminating 16 year old movie goer either. I was just as excited as everyone else to go watch it but what a huge disappointment. If there is anyone in this world that could have filmed duller action sequences it's Tim Burton. Not to mention the film was more about the villian, the Joker than it was about Batman which is enough to ruin any film. Daredevil was by far the better film in terms of story and action. The source material was taken seriously and filmed that way.

Yeah like jaydawg said,SOMEBODY had to say it.That was one of the main reasons I hated about Tim Burtons Batman films was the fact that it was mostly about the villians.The first film should have been called The Joker.DD was a MUCH better film over the first batman film easily.The only good thing about the first one was looking at the hot looking Kim Basinger.DD all the way.:daredevil

Originally posted by zanos
Dude there's a little film called Superman that came out almost a decade before Batman and I don't hear too many ppl complaining about the non cgi FX in that film. Case closed.

I think the main reason why everyone likes Batman so much is because they're all comparing it to the 1960s series whether they are consciously doing it or not. Tim Burton has never been able to direct anything good with action or cgi in it. Batman is a great example of a film with all style and no substance, MUCH more so than Daredevil. At least in DD they actually made a good effort at developing the main character instead of reducing him to a one dimensional statue like they did with Batman. A one dimensional character that kills criminals of all things. :rolleyes:

Again well said.Yeah I dont hear that many people either complaining about cgi fx in Superman either all these years later.That is EXACTLY why people like Batman so much because its more closer to the comics than the 60's show was so they just settle for what is better and closer to the comics without realising just how horrible Batman REALLY was.In DD,Ben Affleck at least was right the role and it wasnt like watching Al Bundy walking around Bruce Wayne manor like it was in the first film,a total joke.You hit the nail right on the head.Burtons batman films have style but no substance at all while paying all the attention to the villian and just making him a supporting character.DD also killed in the Daredevil films but they deserved to die,while with Batman,Batman killed in cowardly fasion and should have been wanted by the cops at the end for murder instead of being treated like a damn hero.Just plain stupid screenwriting is all that was in the first Batman film.:mad:

By the way,I also agree with you that Daredevil was a MUCH better film than the film I have listed in my sig obviously.:)

That is EXACTLY why people like Batman so much because its more closer to the comics than the 60's show was so they just settle for what is better and closer to the comics without realising just how horrible Batman REALLY was.

And here I thought BATMAN was so popular because it reintroduced the dark Dark Knight to mainstream culture, and started Batman back toward his roots.

In DD,Ben Affleck at least was right the role and it wasnt like watching Al Bundy walking around Bruce Wayne manor like it was in the first film,a total joke.

I don't remember Michael Keaton doing any wandering. Nor do I remember him being as large as Al Bundy, or with any sort of similar personality traits as a character.

You hit the nail right on the head.Burtons batman films have style but no substance at all while paying all the attention to the villian and just making him a supporting character.

Bruce Wayne/Batman was a lot more than a supporting character in the film. We learned a lot about his motivations/character, and saw plenty of him. And the Burton Batman films have a ton of substance. Most people are just too thickheaded to admit it/see it.

DD also killed in the Daredevil films but they deserved to die,while with Batman,Batman killed in cowardly fasion and should have been wanted by the cops at the end for murder instead of being treated like a damn hero.

Wait...let me get this straight. Quesada deserved to die because he raped a woman. Whereas The Joker didn't deserve to die after he killed dozens of innocents and tried to kill half of Gotham City? Your logic baffles me. He was treated as a hero at the end because he saved Gotham City.

Batman was a dark movie.
Daredevil was a dark movie with a lot of problems.

I liked them both but Batman just edges out DD. The only thing i really didn't like about Batman was his suit

Darn v v tricky i love both and both have alot of meaning to me i really cant say!

I cant be agree with the guard. Batman or bruce wayne werent never developed as characters in the burton in the burton movies. At least, batman forever, that is a movie that i didnt like at all, give us more about bruce wayne character and his motivations and his story. In the first batman, the only thing that we know about bruce wayne is that the joker killed his parents. All the focus is about the joker and about jack napier. Batman and bruce wayne only were there for any reason. what are his motivations to be batman? why he fights the criminals? why becomed batman? nothing of that is in the movie. Only Michael " bettlejuice" Keaton puting a thinking face. Nothing more. Same in batman returns. All the film is about the freak vertion of the penguin and about catwoman , but nothing about batman and bruce wayne. The batman character was poorly developed in the previous films, but at least, in batman forever, we know a bit more about him.

I'd say Batman. In pretty much any way.

The movie had such a huge impression on me, I'm can't even be remotely impartial here.

Anyway, Daredevil owes A LOT to Batman in terms of look and atmosphere.

In the end, I don't think you can really say, THIS one is better or THAT one.

They are too different. In the same way. :)

Whew, that was poetic. Or crap. Dunno.

And your screen name is Batman?

Batman entertained me a whole lot more than Daredevil did.

Remember, that IS what these movies were meant to do. So in your opinion, which film entertained you more? The one that did the most did what it was aimed to do, making it succesful in my opinion.

The fighting and action in DD was superior and Bullseye was superior to The Joker but... the acting and story in Batman was not only there, opposed to DD, but overall just better. Go Bats, I grew up on Batman comics anyway. Too bad I lost them... most of them... don't look at me.

Bullseye was superior to The Joker? Riiight.

daredevil was so much better in the sense that it was totally original. He wanted to fight crime because his father was murdered. he wanted revenge. the horns on his mask. that thing he used that shot a rope out and lifted him to a destination. these are things batman writers only wished they have thought of for the batman character.

face it
Daredevil sucked

Originally posted by ScottSummers
Daredevil. He moved better. Affleck fit his role better than Keaton. and the fight scenes were better.:cyclops:

why you trolling for?????

Originally posted by Batman15
daredevil was so much better in the sense that it was totally original. He wanted to fight crime because his father was murdered. he wanted revenge. the horns on his mask. that thing he used that shot a rope out and lifted him to a destination. these are things batman writers only wished they have thought of for the batman character.

face it
Daredevil sucked

LOL! That was great, man...and comming soon: rocky's comparison of Batman and Daredevil (snicker....snicker...LOL)....

Ok. Here it is.

General grades, first.

Batman: B
Daredevil: C-

Don't let the grades fool you, though. Daredevil was far inferior to Batman. Far.

First of all, the unoriginal factor. Other than Matt Murdock being blind, just about every other aspect of daredevil is a rip (to some degree ) off Batman. BUt, wait, the movie version takes it one step farther.

Scene( Bullseye's assasination of Electra's father) : in this scene, Bullseye races toward Daredevil on his motorcyle , and once he's within a few seconds of running over him, Daredevil jumps on the front of the bike and and kicks Bullseye off the bike. this scence was COPIED storyboard for storyboard from another Batman movie, Batman:Mask of the Phantasm, for those that don't know, durring a flashback scene in that movie, dealing w/ the relationshiop of Bruce and Andrea Buemont.

Scene (Daredevil and electra fighting atop the roof) This scence , almost entirely ripped from the far better one in "Batman Returns" between Batman and Catwoman.

Scene (grave scene between matt murdock and electra) matt tells electra that reveng is no good..."If anyone knows that, it's me" or something like that. Same scene from the end of "Batman:Mask of the Phantasm", where Bruce and Andrea have their final moments.

Scene (second to last fight scene, between daredevil and bullseye in, guess where, a CHURCH.) Just like Spiderman's ending, this scene is a semi-rip off "Batman" (1989), in which the Batman and Joker have an end game in a decaying cathedral.

Daredevil was simply a weak movie, featuring a character who is not that interesting, and a slight rip off on Batman.

None of the characters had any actual depth, and all of the performances were rather stale. Ben Affleck's especially. I found his "huff puff, blow your house down" acting machismo to be rather borring and uninspiring, and Clarke duncan seems way to self-dignified....Garnier tries to make something of the role, but the script is just too weak, and it's pacing too fast, for anything noteworthy to occur. Farrel is the most successful here. Some of his dialouge actually causes some excitement here and there. But only some, the rest was simply "over the top", to the point of being annoying...this happens mid-way through the movie and remains.

the action was too cgi heavy. the end scene in the cathedral, especially w/ daredevil and bullseye jumping around 20 feet and kicking and punching. There was no suprise. we are just following the action, and i, for one, did not care for the outcome. While some of the action was more visceral and edgy (mainly, the successful assasination attempt of Electra's father, by Bullseye--prpbably the best scene in the entire movie--) most of it has no resonance and falls flat.

The musical score was ok, but nothing memorable. The inclusion of multiple modern rock songs was expected, instantly dates the movie, and is nothing special.

Overall, a very forgettable movie, in an era of comic book-based movies dominating the market. Poor acting, bad music, and LOTS of action to keep the 13 and 14 year old teens' attention. Moving on.....

Batman is simply a classic, and had quite a few good things going for it. It's remembered today as one of the most fan-favorite movies ever released. People still fondly remember seeing it the first time in theaters today, and many place it in their "top...." lists. Comic book fans were not completely enamored by it, as they felt a more definite and linear film couild have been made, and that is true. While the film is not perfect, it had a lot more to offer than Daredevil.

1.) SCRIPT: Batman has the better story, ideas/themes, and conflicts. Batman also had more depth. While the film doesn't contain loads of screen time, featuriing Batman kicking ass, the story makes it's points along the way (effectively) and then moves on. It doesnt' obsess over the details, it subtly explores it's main character, explores the supporting players, and then lets the whole thing unfold. there's suprises and tension along the way, as well as concise and thrilling action, and successful dark comedy.

2.) ACTING: Michael Keaton was a poor choice for Batman , physically, going by the comic books. Certain ideas were ignored when casting Keaton, but he more than makes up for it with his cerebral and psychological performance (so strong, one can accept the Burton/Keaton version as a part of the Batman myth, one of the good versions). Keaton's performance allows you to root for him, while still questioning the motivations and choices of the hero. this makes him both heroic and interesting (whereareas Daredevil only comes across as only athletic and borring)
Jack's Joker has been called over the top by some , but this is quite an ignorant assumption. Sure, Jack goes off into high energy at times, but always when appropriate (whereareas farrel comes across as an over-coked(the drug), uneducated buffoon in many sccenes) Jack's Joker is FAR better. He's funny, dangerous, sly, and quite the adversary. From beginning to end, one is always in suspense over who will win, though one already knows who ultimately will.

The other supporting characters give strong performances as well...Palance is entertaining as the vindictive mob boss, Williams is passionate and smooth as Harvey dent, Gough is warm , intelligent , and funny as Alfred, Wuhl is delightfully obnoxious and dedicated as the reporter Knock, and even Basinger's pefrormance was greater than what some give her credit for. Demure? Sure....Soft? Yeah, but she does have a hint of adventure and realism, and that makes it work.

THE MUSIC: Danny Elfman's score was potent and grandiose, one of the best in a film ever. People fondly remember it today. Will see if even ONE non-fan of Daredevil remembers the Daredevil theme...i doubt it...Elfman's Batman is remembered (fondly) by many..

IMPACT: INCREDIBLE. Burton's story of duality and revenge, wrapped in reality and fantasy combined, featuring a traumatized, but willing hero confronting a dangerous and despearate enemy made movie-goers exclaim with glee..."THIS is the movie of the decade!"

Batman, after 15 years, is a fan-favorite classic, having made 250 million dollars the year it was released (at that time, the second most successful movie of all time, only making less than E.T., and in adjusted gross, 250 mil is equatable to 500 million today). Batman is beloved by many, and a cultural phenomenon (just the movie alone from 1989, not even getting into everything else)

Daredevil was a humbly successful 2002 movie, following in the massive and quality footsteps of "Spiderman". It has it's supporters, but got mostly bad reviews from critics and, as a movie, contained no interesting drama, mostly over bloated action, and no genuine laughs, or suprises.

The only suprises about "Daredevil" is that over 30 people in this thread voted for it over "Batman". (not counting some must have been repeats)

Realistically speaking, there is no comparison. Batman trumps it. Easily.

Batman by far. Batman's opening theme made more sense than Daredevil's.
CGI fight scene's weren't nessecary in either movie because both movies are supposed to deal with a realistic gritty and dark world. Batman shows this with realistic street fighting while Daredevil is jumping around like a mexican jumping bean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"