Tim Burton's Batman Films vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Films

Interesting question. Bale's would think Keaton is crazy, which he is, and Keaton would probably just look at him and disappear. They wouldnt be enemies since they both fight crimes, but surely wouldnt be friends either since Keaton's is a loner

Good point. I was thinking that they might become enemies because Bale's Batman doesn't seem like he would be so accepting of the Keaton incarnation killing criminals.

I also wonder how they would have done in the other's position: Bale's Batman takes on Nicholson's Joker in BATMAN, and Keaton's Batman takes on Ledger's Joker in THE DARK KNIGHT. How well would each do?

Good point. I was thinking that they might become enemies because Bale's Batman doesn't seem like he would be so accepting of the Keaton incarnation killing criminals.

I also wonder how they would have done in the other's position: Bale's Batman takes on Nicholson's Joker in BATMAN, and Keaton's Batman takes on Ledger's Joker in THE DARK KNIGHT. How well would each do?

With everybody knowing about Batman's non killing rule, I think Nicholson might have a better chance against Bale's Batman since there's a new advantage he didn't have with Keaton's Batman.

With everybody knowing about Batman's non killing rule, I think Nicholson might have a better chance against Bale's Batman since there's a new advantage he didn't have with Keaton's Batman.

I'm not so sure. Bale may not even need to kill Nicholson's Joker, he could just beat the **** out of him and knock him out pretty quickly. Keaton managed to curb stomp him in spite of plane crash injuries, so he doesn't have a chance against Bale who could take on many of his fellow League of Shadows ninjas simultaneously and overcome them. Nicholson would be pleading for his life and ****ting his pants within minutes after Bale punches him in the face.

I'm not so sure. Bale may not even need to kill Nicholson's Joker, he could just beat the **** out of him and knock him out pretty quickly. Keaton managed to curb stomp him in spite of plane crash injuries, so he doesn't have a chance against Bale who could take on many of his fellow League of Shadows ninjas simultaneously and overcome them. Nicholson would be pleading for his life and ****ting his pants within minutes after Bale punches him in the face.

And then again two or three Joker's thugs were enough to fight Bale's Batman for a while so joker could take Rachel.

All in all, everything will depend on who's writing.

I prefer the Nolan films, by a lot. I just think they're better written films with a more compelling story, with better character development, and interpretations of the characters that I greatly prefer.

I'm not a fan of the crazy weirdo Bruce Wayne -- I like Keaton as Batman but hate him as Wayne.

Batman killing in Burton's films also bothers me.

What I do prefer about the Burton films:

The music
The Batmobile
The representation of Gotham City, physically

Whenever these types of arguments pop up, most of the actual arguing inevitably centers on the way the characters are portrayed on screen in relation to the source material. that's great and everything, but i find that type of argument to be limiting in many ways--specifically because it ignores the context of the film's release. if we look at two different objects made at very different times for somewhat different reasons (obviously both films were created to make $$ but the motivations for how the characters and events are portrayed on screen in a certain way will differ from production to production). it's silly to say which adaptation is more accurate because there's no underlying standard for what makes an adaptation a great one. jaws, no country for old men, a clockwork orange, gone with the wind and to kill a mockingbird are all classic cinematic adaptations, but they all differ in how they approach the source material. you cannot tell me with a straight face that there is some higher principle that mandates that a comic adaptation's level of accuracy is directly responsible for its greatness.

posters here always focus too much on the literary qualities of the films. there are other pleasures to be found in comic book films, and truth be told, accuracy isn't one of them...at least for me. that's the beauty of having all of these different adaptations-warner bros gets to make a ****load of $$$ and we get to choose which one we like best.

if i were to judge all of these films on their own terms then i would rank them 1. batman 89 2. batman returns 3. batman begins 4. everything else

i'd give burton's films the slight edge in cinematography and acting (overall ensemble in nolan's films is better but the principles are waaaaaayyy better in burton's). big edge goes to burton films in the set/costume design, score, directing, editing. i love how tim burton actually frames his shots like they're frames in a comic through the use of editing and dutch angles. i'd say the writing is about equal. i feel as if the characters are clearly better developed in nolan's films, but nolan's films also suffer from overwriting and expository dialogue. burton's films have more memorable and concise dialogue.

Last edited:
^Burton's films also don't over-explain and foreshadow everything.

This is near impossible to choose. As was said above, both sets of movies are from very different times.

you cannot tell me with a straight face that there is some higher principle that mandates that a comic adaptation's level of accuracy is directly responsible for its greatness.

That and the notion that any director who's a comics fan would make the better movie, are two of the fattest lies some comic fans love to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"