Iron Man 3 What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Still flames, they didn't prove liek something that could be used against power beams, if anythink it would probably bounce back to Killians face.

I still could see it happening, stranger things have been done in comic book movies. Plus Killing could've also used fire breath as a response after dodging IM's repulsion.

You know what would've been badass, if Killian shot flame in IM's face after catching his palm and stopping that last repulsor.

The single most unforgiveable thing I feel that was done with IM3 is that so far as I can tell everyone in that film seems to view the 10 rings as a new phenom in the life of Stark.

10rings.jpg

The 10 rings are responsible for the kidnapping of Stark in IM1.
They are the cause of him becoming Iron Man!

How can everyone forget this? Case in point when Tony and Rhodey are contemplating who this "new" threat is in the cafe.

This is the single most frustrating dismissal of continuity in all of the MCU and it could have easily been avoided, how does this get a pass?

Loki882 actually summarized my thoughts on this much better than I so I'll just quote him.

My issue with it was more that this is the group that originally crippled him, kidnapped him, and held him captive for months, and the Mandarin is apparently their leader. And yet, that never really comes up, at no point does Tony seem to really ponder this or have it weigh on his mind. It was a missed opportunity.

Various reviews and such have wondered if we are supposed to think Killian was behind the Ten Rings the whole time, or just stole their logo and such for the Mandarin videos. And the movie makes it pretty clear the Mandarin videos are a cover for the Extremis explosions that are accidents.

Killian *says* he wants to control both sides of the War on Terror, but in actually watching the movie, it looks more like he wants to cover for times Extremis doesn't work. And they don't even say *why* Extremis causes certain people to explode.

Did the movie say how many Extremis soldiers were working for Killian? It seemed the ones that exploded were ones that weren't directly "on the payroll."

Loki882 actually summarized my thoughts on this much better than I so I'll just quote him.

This I can agree with.

In addition to that, I'd have preferred if there was a bit more reverence paid to Yinsen's memory for his role in Tony's escape.

No two ways about it - he is the reason that Tony was able to get out of there in any capacity, from putting the initial electro-magnet in his chest, to giving him the needed motivation to improvise the Mark I suit.

With that, a legitimate grudge between Tony & Killian could have been established, with a call-back to Yinsen towards the end. The cameo was a nice nod, but again, Tony has acted as if he doesn't even remember the guy since the moment he got out of the cave. This was one thing that I think Avengers did well, with the "His name was Phil" line for Coulson's 'death'. Either something along those lines or a photo of the guy (maybe a forgotten one from Bern that he dug up from some old boxes) somewhere in his basement would have been a nice touch.

2-Guy Pearce's character is just a copy/paste of Jim Carrey's Edward Nigma from "Batman Forever" (even the haircut is the same):

bat20.jpg

Just watch IM3 again and then watch "Batman Forever", then tell me it's not the same f**king character (without Carrey's funny faces and the drag queen looks).

Ugly nutty professor is ignored by billonaire, he is mad about it, he uses his inventions to become a playboy billonaire as well, then flirts with the protagonist's redhead girlfriend (Kidman, Paltrow), and ultimately goes insane until he is stopped by our hero. Same story arc, same character. I expected that he would scream at the end: "I'm The Riddler!!!" instead of "I'm The Mandarin!!!". XD

I noticed that right after watching it.

He also destroyed the heroes lair/vehicles (in this case home and armours) and kidnaps the heroes girlfriend.

I'd say he was more similar to Syndrome than Riddler in Batman Forever.

I still could see it happening, stranger things have been done in comic book movies. Plus Killing could've also used fire breath as a response after dodging IM's repulsion.

You know what would've been badass, if Killian shot flame in IM's face after catching his palm and stopping that last repulsor.

It was a waste that they didn't used his Fire Breathing in the Final Battle.

flames having a standstill against repulsor rays would look a little laughable IMAO

I'd say he was more similar to Syndrome than Riddler in Batman Forever.

Well Syndrome wanted to be the heroes sidekick and idolised the hero, and was a kid.

Killian and Riddler both idolised the man not the hero and wanted to share tech/work together. Both were adults who went from nerdy guys both with long hair to suave attractive guys with their own companies.

Well looks like my one big gripe about the film was addressed in the amazing All Hail the King one-shot!

See, I wasn't nuts, I knew something was amiss.
God, I love the MCU.

[FONT=&quot]The movie was disappointing. Not only did they throw out all the interesting points of a classic Marvel villain they substituted a stock character we have seen many times before. To complete their deconstruction of marvel's enduring characters Iron Man III has Stark being freed from his nuclear heart which is the signature feature that binds him to the suit and his identity as Iron Man. The idea of the fatal flaw, the paradox of a strength which comes with a weakness is what makes heros memorable. You might as well have Aunt Mae finally have that ever-impending heart attack and die. By subsequently getting therapy to work through guilt and grief Peter Parker might finally liberate himself from his compulsion to risk his life for the sake of justice. It is like a[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] surgeon finding a way to restore Daredevil's sight.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

I liked the movie, but I think the ending could have been a little less emphatically "final", especially when we already know he's coming back for Avengers 2 and probably more Iron Man movies. It felt a little too obviously fake.

I liked the movie, but I think the ending could have been a little less emphatically "final", especially when we already know he's coming back for Avengers 2 and probably more Iron Man movies. It felt a little too obviously fake.
Hmm, I get the critique, but my takeaway wasn't a sense of finality with respect to Tony Stark's identity as Iron Man. What I got from the final post-battle sequences was:

Stark was in a paranoid and unsettled frame of mind when he created all those armors. Now that he was in a more peaceful place, mentally, he thought it would be best to start over. This involved destroying his multiple armors (which might or might not contain embedded abstractions of his manic state of mind), taking out the arc reactor in his chest and going back to basics: "I am Iron Man".

1. Too many comedic scenes that didn't feel very natural within the story, especially the scenes involving the little boy. The comedy wasn't as funny as what was in the avengers, or IM1, which made it worse. To contrast, CAP2 had much fewer outright comedic scenes, but still had a sense of humor through the chemistry of the characters that felt natural, and not like the movie is pausing the story for a gag.

2. The twist with the mandarin, I felt they kind of wasted his character and turned him into a comic relief that wasn't funny.

3. Apart from the air force one sequence, the action in this movie didn't really impress me. The final battle was too busy and CGI overload. Tony's armors came off as weak when they were destroyed so easily. I kind of wish that the extemis power that Killian and his henchmen had were more visually impressive.

Iron Man 3 was very funny, not as much the parts with the kid, but the ones with Killian's goons were a lot of fun.

So why does Tony have to recharge the suit by using a car battery when in the first film the suit is just powered up by the mini arc reactor in his chest? So then why can't Tony just power up his suit in film three like he did in film one? So again why does he have to recharge the suit in film three via a car battery?

In film one why didn't he just have the shrapnel removed from his chest like he did in film three? In the second movie the dangers of the palladium killing him could all have been avoided!

Last edited:
So why does Tony have to recharge the suit by using a car battery when in the first film the suit is just powered up by the mini arc reactor in his chest? So then why can't Tony just power up his suit in film three like he did in film one? So again why does he have to recharge the suit in film three via a car battery?

In film one why didn't he just have the shrapnel removed from his chest like he did in film three? In the second movie the dangers of the palladium killing him could all have been avoided!

The answer to all of the above:

Because Shane Black co-plotted/wrote it.

That's why the film borrows heavily from other sources, indulges bad dialogue, has a clichéd kid sidekick, the idiotic "I'm Tony Stark, not Iron Man!" ending, etc.

The movie also gets a pass for so much time with Stark out of the armor while The Dark Knight Rises received criticisms like "would have been nice for Batman to be in his own movie," etc.

I think its universally known TDKR > IM3.

IM3 was just a huge let down to be the first movie since Avengers and to come with that performance? Cant believe TDW was actually worst than IM3. Shouldve just embraced the comics and did a proper Mandarin/Fing Fang Foom adventure in Asia vs Iron Man & War Machine.

Did enjoy the Xmas theme to it though.

Very weak end credit scene

Pepper receiving powers was dumb and Happy living was cheap.

The kid couldve atleast been someone from the comics like Cho.

I think its universally known TDKR > IM3.

No it isn't. Something as subjective as opinions cannot be "universally known". It is universally known that the Earth is round. It is not universally known if TDKR is better than Iron Man 3.

I'm late the hype forums but you can summarize my beef(s) with IM3 as this: it took everything good from the original comic concepts or storylines and dumbed them down.

The Mandarin: an extremely powerful villain for Iron Man, one of the few who challenged Iron Man's skillset with the ten rings. Admittedly a difficult concept to translate to film, "ten magic rings." My response? Instead of dumbing his abilities down, just don't use him. His Silver Age origins made him a dull character, but in recent decades he developed a more interesting motivation in the comics, one that was evil yet had a perverted humanist perspective, instead of maniacal greed, hatred, or revenge. Again, just don't use him if you can't use the best of the character.

AIM: Like Mandarin, AIM started out in the Silver Age as a typical Silver Age bad guy organization, but in time, different Marvel writers fleshed out the ideology of AIM. Science over all. Radical experimentation to make a better world. The ends of scientific utopia justify the harsh means. Such a terrorist organization has a (fairly) unique voice, at least in the MCU. The film adaptation? I'm still not sure what AIM stood for...controlling the War on Terror, I guess? Again, the best about AIM from the source material gutted, with hardly any resemblance on screen. You could have called them Roxxon Oil and it wouldn't have made any difference on the plot or behavior of the characters. Killian could have been an interesting villain, someone pushing for advances in humanity from an ethical perspective, just not factoring the consequences. Someone who believed superhumanity would eradicate the flaws of humanity, and the Extremis virus was the means to that improvement in the human condition. The film muddled this with nerdy Syndrome/Edward Nigma parallels instead of embracing the gray area and tension (that makes good storytelling) that could have been created if Killian was an ideologue in the Age of Miracles.

The film adaptation seemed to be a not-so-subversive allusion to "Loose Change" beliefs that what's wrong with the world is some defense contractor manipulating things behind the scenes, and there can't possibly be any evil other than this. IM1 and IM3 had the same villain--Stane manipulating the Ten Rings...Killian manipulating the Ten Rings. IM2 wasn't far off--Hammer manipulating (and being manipulated by) Whiplash. Oh, and Loki manipulating the Frost Giants and Hydra SHIELD in CWS (obviously they'd done pretty well with Loki comparatively, but the IM villains haven't had any of that pathos developed). Yawn. One of the things that made Marvel so great, particularly in contrast to DC, creating so many fans for decades, was not just the humanity of its heroes, but the humanity of its villains. Dr. Doom wants to conquer the world as much to save it as to feed his ego. Magneto wants to save his people. Even Thanos does what he does out of love. What makes a great villain is the kernel of "good" in him that gets twisted, perverted, or corrupted when taken to the extreme or misapplied in the wrong context. Every good villain has a good cause behind him. Marvel Studios has instead adopted the DC Silver Age approach to villains, dullards with simplistic motives, through this addiction to misdirection "twists." These waste screen time and results in a bland Third Act caricature, instead of just playing the antagonist straight, with a personality, soul, and conflicted program for making the world a better place or fighting injustice.

Iron Man and Extremis: These go hand in hand. The Extremis story would have been nothing, not even a drop in the pond of Marvel, if Iron Man doesn't adopt and adapt the virus himself. The best part of the Extremis storyline was Extremis Iron Man. It flipped the narrative of Iron Man from being dependent on technology to even live to superceding human limitations. The lukewarm end of IM3--where he was no longer dependent on the armor to live, nor the summation of human perfection (and beyond) via Extremis--was absolutely the most boring, un-Iron Man approach to the character. Tony Stark should be either dependent on technology or superhumanly enhanced by it...cause he's Iron Man. The action sequences likewise missed the point as well, as most fans of Iron Man want to see Iron Man in action, not Tony Stark. In the MCU, Joss Whedon has done the best in portraying Iron Man in action in limited screen time of one film--flying and using repulsor rays at once--then all three IM films combined.

I am also a bit late...

Iron Man 3 is - in my view - one of the worst MCU movies, although it is a funny movie and i like the Tony Stark character (but he was better in IM 1 and 2)!

There are so many issues with this movie, can not count them all... it was a total mess from the start to the end!

What comes to my mind:

- Pepper saving the day
(that was too much)

- War Machine useless
(just look at the scene, where he gets caught. No fight - just one small touch - come on. And if AIM supports his suite, why they did not do it a different way?)

- removing the arc reactor from the chest
(PLEASE??? Comes a little bit late, or not? Just think about IM2 and Stark almost dying because of this... no no no)

- kids
(no kids as sidekicks in superheroes movies please - although it was not as bad as i feared)

- panic attacks
(come on - that was so bad made, that every one who has this problem for real gets angry)

- Mandarin
(i liked every scene with Kingsley - it was great, but as the Mandarin TV spots were just perfect, to see, that it was just a fake, it gets me angry - totally wasted potencial!!! That was, what annoyed me the most - especially because they did that just to do their Extremis-story. The whole mess could influence a future Mandarin appearence too)

- No Iron Man
(if the movie titel would have been "Tony Stark" - okay, but as a Iron Man movie there was to less Iron Man in it. Tony Stark is Iron Man - YES! But actually it was just Stark acting - the armors where just tools, and HE used a lot of different other tools in this movie. Therefore - it was a Tony Stark movie, and NO Iron Man movie)

- collapse armors
(Come on - every damn armor collapsed in this movie. He can fight every opponent, but if the amor crashes with a truck it collapses - aha)

- helicopters destroying his home
(although the scene showing the rocket flying on the TV was really great, the scene as a whole made no sence. He offers a challenge, he was not prepared, he - IRON MAN - does not really fight (ahh, the armor is a prototype - can not fly, can not shoot... aha!!), nobody else is interested although it was live on TV etc.)

- it was not clear, why they needed Stark Industry
(they asked first Pepper - NOT Stark - to make a deal. Why? As they seemingly needed Tony Stark! And, did they need him to correct the formula? Why? And if, why Killian said that they want to control both sides? WHAT was their PLAN?? To kill Stark to get Pepper or to "kill" Pepper to get Stark???)

If i would think more about the movie, i would find some more issues. The movie made over 1 billion dollar - hmm...
I know, that you can explain some issues, but overall it was simply to much - there are to many things wrong with this movie!

Last edited:
I'm late the hype forums but you can summarize my beef(s) with IM3 as this: it took everything good from the original comic concepts or storylines and dumbed them down.

The Mandarin: an extremely powerful villain for Iron Man, one of the few who challenged Iron Man's skillset with the ten rings. Admittedly a difficult concept to translate to film, "ten magic rings." My response? Instead of dumbing his abilities down, just don't use him. His Silver Age origins made him a dull character, but in recent decades he developed a more interesting motivation in the comics, one that was evil yet had a perverted humanist perspective, instead of maniacal greed, hatred, or revenge. Again, just don't use him if you can't use the best of the character.

AIM: Like Mandarin, AIM started out in the Silver Age as a typical Silver Age bad guy organization, but in time, different Marvel writers fleshed out the ideology of AIM. Science over all. Radical experimentation to make a better world. The ends of scientific utopia justify the harsh means. Such a terrorist organization has a (fairly) unique voice, at least in the MCU. The film adaptation? I'm still not sure what AIM stood for...controlling the War on Terror, I guess? Again, the best about AIM from the source material gutted, with hardly any resemblance on screen. You could have called them Roxxon Oil and it wouldn't have made any difference on the plot or behavior of the characters. Killian could have been an interesting villain, someone pushing for advances in humanity from an ethical perspective, just not factoring the consequences. Someone who believed superhumanity would eradicate the flaws of humanity, and the Extremis virus was the means to that improvement in the human condition. The film muddled this with nerdy Syndrome/Edward Nigma parallels instead of embracing the gray area and tension (that makes good storytelling) that could have been created if Killian was an ideologue in the Age of Miracles.

The film adaptation seemed to be a not-so-subversive allusion to "Loose Change" beliefs that what's wrong with the world is some defense contractor manipulating things behind the scenes, and there can't possibly be any evil other than this. IM1 and IM3 had the same villain--Stane manipulating the Ten Rings...Killian manipulating the Ten Rings. IM2 wasn't far off--Hammer manipulating (and being manipulated by) Whiplash. Oh, and Loki manipulating the Frost Giants and Hydra SHIELD in CWS (obviously they'd done pretty well with Loki comparatively, but the IM villains haven't had any of that pathos developed). Yawn. One of the things that made Marvel so great, particularly in contrast to DC, creating so many fans for decades, was not just the humanity of its heroes, but the humanity of its villains. Dr. Doom wants to conquer the world as much to save it as to feed his ego. Magneto wants to save his people. Even Thanos does what he does out of love. What makes a great villain is the kernel of "good" in him that gets twisted, perverted, or corrupted when taken to the extreme or misapplied in the wrong context. Every good villain has a good cause behind him. Marvel Studios has instead adopted the DC Silver Age approach to villains, dullards with simplistic motives, through this addiction to misdirection "twists." These waste screen time and results in a bland Third Act caricature, instead of just playing the antagonist straight, with a personality, soul, and conflicted program for making the world a better place or fighting injustice.

Iron Man and Extremis: These go hand in hand. The Extremis story would have been nothing, not even a drop in the pond of Marvel, if Iron Man doesn't adopt and adapt the virus himself. The best part of the Extremis storyline was Extremis Iron Man. It flipped the narrative of Iron Man from being dependent on technology to even live to superceding human limitations. The lukewarm end of IM3--where he was no longer dependent on the armor to live, nor the summation of human perfection (and beyond) via Extremis--was absolutely the most boring, un-Iron Man approach to the character. Tony Stark should be either dependent on technology or superhumanly enhanced by it...cause he's Iron Man. The action sequences likewise missed the point as well, as most fans of Iron Man want to see Iron Man in action, not Tony Stark. In the MCU, Joss Whedon has done the best in portraying Iron Man in action in limited screen time of one film--flying and using repulsor rays at once--then all three IM films combined.

Very well put. Even though I have to disagree and say IM's best overall portrayal was done by Favreau in the original Iron Man. Whedon has done a great job as well, no doubt about it.

The geek-to-shiek, then the I'm going to get revenge on you for dissing me story doesn't really put IM3 in my top 5 list. It's a decent movie, just not a great IM movie, imo....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"