What do you consider the riskiest Comic Book Movies?

CyclopsWasRight

Well, he was.
Reaction score
So there's been talk in recent months of Guardians being a huge gamble and risk for their Studio. Personally I don't agree but it got me thinking of what I consider the riskiest so far.

I think for me the riskiest CBMs have been (in order or release):

Superman: The Movie
X-Men
HULK
Elektra
Sin City
V For Vendetta
Iron Man
THOR
Kick Ass
X-Men First Class
Dredd
Avengers
X-Men Days of Future Past
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

_____

Superman: The Motion Picture

This was the first major Comic Book Movie. At that point the idea of a movie based on a Comic Book character must've been quite laughable considering how Comics have for the majority been considered for kids.

X-Men

Released at a time when the genre was dying, there was the campy abomination known as Batman and Robin which cemented to studios that Audiences didn't care for the colourful characters anymore. X-Men Successfully launched both the X-Men movie franchise but also all subsequent Marvel movie franchises against the odds.

HULK

Imo one of the riskiest.

Audiences had know of the hulk quite abit over the year mostly from the 70s television show and the 90s cartoon.

Doing a Hulk movie was imo risky due to the need for a big CGI character this isn't an issue these days but back in 2003 it was an issue. Not a huge issue as movies like Jurassic Park paved the way but still a difficulty as up to this point there had never been such a CGI character in the genre.

However the reason I think this was amongst the riskiest as they were banking on audiences forgetting pre-conceptions and buying into the movie at hand, which unfortunately didn't happen. Audiences were expecting and wanting a big action movie where Hulk smashed and didn't get behind the anger management theme and drama of the Jekyll and Hyde story

Elektra

Was a big risk as it was the first to be female led comic book movie since the poorly received Supergirl movie. The movie was rather poor as were the subsequent and former female superhero movies with the industry still wary to this day of producing a Female-driven CBM.

Sin City

This is imo the riskiest CBM to this day.

Releasing a comic book movie wasn't as easy back around this time, especially an obscure comic book movie. This had neither the fanbase level as a DC or Marvel property.

In addition to that this was also a movie with a unique visual style. This could be seen as a plus or a negative considering it could've been viewed as a fresh look or a gimmick, either way it was a unique black and white visual style that was uncommon.

On top of all of that the movie was an R-Rated and violent movie which hadn't been done in the CBM genre before and is almost always a death sentence at the box office.

The fact they even made the movie is astonishing.

V For Vendetta

A dark and adult CBM, R-Rated and the first to feature a Superhero/Vigilante with his face completely covered throughout the whole movie, In addition setting this outside of the US (a first for the genre) in an alternate present made it less accessible

Iron Man

While not as big as risk as some other this was a character that was decidedly lower B list. The big hitters such as X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four had a bigger audience and even secondary's such as Daredevil had more of a cult fanbase than Iron Man. Also casting what was considered a washed up actor who had a lot of personal troubles was a disconcerting choice.

THOR

I'd consider this risky but the perhaps the least riskiest of the riskiest.
While the subject matter was of an Alien God which would've been very risky prospect the majority of the movie was a standard fish-out-of-water tale where-in the character spends the bulk of the movie out of costume, on Earth without his powers, however we did get a good portion on Asgard with Loki so...

Kick Ass

I'd consider this risky as while released during the Superhero Movie renaissance it was like Sin City a violent and adult picture. This was and probably still remains the grounded and realistic CBM. Featuring a child not only killing frequently and with such gore but also swearing like no tomorrow was quite a controversial move.

X-Men First Class

Not the first movie you'd think of in terms of being risky but perhaps one of the most.

This movie took a movie franchise with a considerable following and tried something very different. Although being the fifth movie in the overall X-Men mega-franchise and the fourth in main X-Men team franchise it featured none of the accumulated cast and few of the main characters with a new director at the helm and and new time period.

It was a risk that paid off as it brought considerable goodwill back to the franchise and helped usher the franchise into a new direction of success both critical and financially

Dredd

R-Rated and quite violent. Main character has the majority of his face covered for the whole movie.

The Avengers

As many like to state on a daily basis this was the successful conclusion of a process that hadn't been attempted before. It could've easily fell flat with audiences if they did not buy into the franchises and characters combining fluidly into one crossover movie, fortunately for marvel and fans it was a hit with audiences who very much accepted the cinematic universe concept.

X-Men Days of Future Past

While not as big a risk as First Class or others on this list i'd consider this somewhat a risk as it risked implosion through ambition.

The plan was to combine the two eras in the X-Men franchise, introduce and execute understandable time-travel, juggle the largest cast ever assembled in a superhero movie (or most movies for that matter) and usher a new direction for the franchise.

It worked.

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

I think on retrospect I'd consider this the riskiest. In addition to all the risks present as the first movie it also has the hurdle of arriving very late from the original, 9 years to be precise and several recastings due to story and actors needing replacing.

_____

Future Riskiness evaluations

Fantastic Four
Internet backlash is at a high. Risk determination will to depend on trailer reaction, imo

Doctor Strange
Subject Matter is rather unique in the genre. it's a question if audiences will respond however it has little financial risk.

Shazam!
WB/DC doesn't have guaranteed draw as of yet with the DCCU. The source has a Child transforming into an adult super being this doesn't mesh well with the DCCU tone thus far and could prove a problem of cohesion. If Dwayne Johnson is involved that could increase risk, although his star power is large his individual movies do not bring in a lot. His box office power mostly comes from the quantity of movies.

Last edited:
Shazam!
WB/DC doesn't have guaranteed draw as of yet with the DCCU. The source has a Child transforming into an adult super being this doesn't mesh well with the DCCU tone thus far and could prove a problem of cohesion. If Dwayne Johnson is involved that could increase risk, although his star power is large his individual movies do not bring in a lot. His box office power mostly comes from the quantity of movies.

It remains to be seen whether this will be in the DCCU. Personally, I don't think it should be; it has a lot of potential as a family film.

Do you mean it will be made but won't be in the same universe as Man of Steel and BvS or that you don't think it will be made?

I mean that it might not be in the same universe. By keeping their TV shows separate from their films, WB has shown that they're not trying to match Marvel's fully shared continuity. It could go either way, but I think Shazam would benefit from a more light-hearted approach.

Superman the movie was a great risk at the time, how many could have thought it would be a success? And make way for future comic book films?

Batman (1989) was probably another risk, it was a shift from all fun Batman, turning to the highest grossing movie in its year was a more than pleasant and welcome outcome

X-Men was the high budget comic book movie, 3 years after the flop that was Batman & Robin (among other flops) that potentially killed the market of comic book movies

At the moment, The Justice League movie is a risk, Batman v Superman has potential to be a great and high grossing movie, but it also has chances of flopping, especially for being a follow up to a movie with some lukewarm reception

And to not ignore or forget The Sinister Six

Iron Man. Marvel had to get loans to fund this and The Incredible Hulk. If they failed, there could have been repercussions for Marvel as a company. Getting someone like RDJ makes perfect sense in hindsight, but at the time he was a huge risk.

Iron Man. Marvel had to get loans to fund this and The Incredible Hulk. If they failed, there could have been repercussions for Marvel as a company. Getting someone like RDJ makes perfect sense in hindsight, but at the time he was a huge risk.

Pretty much this, their backs were to the wall when they made this movie.

I agree about Iron Man being a huge risk for Marvel, but as a concept itself? A billionaire industrialist builds a powered suit to become a superhero? Doesn't sound like much of a hard sell. At the very least it couldn't be as bad as Steel. :woot:

For me, the bigger risk was Thor. A Norse God who comes to Earth to become a superhero? That had all the hallmarks of a disaster waiting to happen.The fact that they hired the perfect director to do it (Kenneth Branagh) and managed to pull it off is a miracle unto itself.

Nolan's decisions with The Dark Knight Rises merit it being considered a risky comic book movie. I'm referring to his decision to have Bruce out of the cape and cowl for most of the film as well as ending Bruce's stint as Batman. Going in a different direction than something proven to be wildly successful--The Dark Knight--also seems like a risk given how well TDK is liked. It would have been easy to go with a Joker-lite like The Riddler and basically shoot The Dark Knight 2.0.

The BvS and Justice League films ooze risk.

You're having a laugh right? How is a Superman and Batman film a risk? It's the two most iconic superheroes ever. The film is guaranteed to make good money.

It isn't risky, it just has a lot of pressure on it.

You're having a laugh right? How is a Superman and Batman film a risk? It's the two most iconic superheroes ever. The film is guaranteed to make good money.

If the movie isn't good it will poison the well and WB/DC will have to take a break for a long time, they're putting all their eggs in one basket.

That is true. If it's a massive failure they're pretty much ****ed. But it's Superman and Batman, if they can't get that to be a hit then they need to take a break and re-evaluate.

Being iconic doesn't protect a hero from having a bad film, let alone two heroes. Look at Man of Steel's overall reception.

But it'll still make big money, whether it's crap or great. So i don't see any real financial risk.

It has pressure on it because like DA says, they are putting all their eggs in one basket.

But like i say, if it does fail then it serves them right. If you can't make a Superman and Batman movie popular, you need a wake up call and nothing motivates improvement like failure.

LOL @ Kick-Ass being grounded and realistic.

Also, you're glossing over a hell of a lot. Sin City might have been risky, but only for its visual style. It being a non-superhero comic book film is no big deal, because they've been coming out with those for years before.

Last edited:
Gunn's Super was the grounded and realistic version of Kick Ass.

But it'll still make big money, whether it's crap or great. So i don't see any real financial risk.

It has pressure on it because like DA says, they are putting all their eggs in one basket.

But like i say, if it does fail then it serves them right. If you can't make a Superman and Batman movie popular, you need a wake up call and nothing motivates improvement like failure.

The movie itself won't lose money, but they're still putting a lot of money on the line. That's the financial risk. They're mortgaging their cinematic universe.

It's really about how this movie will affect the profitability of subsequent movies.

Last edited:
A woman lead movie is clearly a risk for any Hollywood studio. *sigh*

Superman the movie was a great risk at the time, how many could have thought it would be a success? And make way for future comic book films?

Batman (1989) was probably another risk, it was a shift from all fun Batman, turning to the highest grossing movie in its year was a more than pleasant and welcome outcome

X-Men was the high budget comic book movie, 3 years after the flop that was Batman & Robin (among other flops) that potentially killed the market of comic book movies

At the moment, The Justice League movie is a risk, Batman v Superman has potential to be a great and high grossing movie, but it also has chances of flopping, especially for being a follow up to a movie with some lukewarm reception

And to not ignore or forget The Sinister Six

Good call. Very risky

LOL @ Kick-Ass being grounded and realistic.

Also, you're glossing over a hell of a lot. Sin City might have been risky, but only for its visual style. It being a non-superhero comic book film is no big deal, because they've been coming out with those for years before.

Kick ass is as realistic and grounded as Nolan's Batman but doesn't have people with faces burned off surviving without surgery or meds or broken backs healing by themself.

The hero gets stabbed his first night out and almost dies, another gets burned to death. The only fantastical part was the jetpack mini gun, other than that it was the most real world depiction of a superhero.

As for Sin City it is R-Rated, that itself almost guarantees less Box Office and it didn't have as big a fanbase as other CBMs, thus less built-in audience.

A woman lead movie is clearly a risk for any Hollywood studio. *sigh*

Three consecutive female led failures scare them.

Last edited:
I thought the first Blade movie was a risk for the very fact that it had a black lead, and those types of films didn't usually work and Blade worked....at least for two movies.

Kick ass is as realistic and grounded as Nolan's Batman but doesn't have people with faces burned off surviving without surgery or meds or broken backs healing by themself.

The hero gets stabbed his first night out and almost dies, another gets burned to death. The only fantastical part was the jetpack mini gun, other than that it was the most real world depiction of a superhero.

Nolan's Batman was not realistic either. Also, there were children fighting grown men and winning. The only realistic part of Kick-Ass is the beginning where he almost dies.

Batman 1989, with Keaton as Batman. It was pretty risky. Plus, it was a bad time for comic book movies.

Nolan's Batman was not realistic either. Also, there were children fighting grown men and winning. The only realistic part of Kick-Ass is the beginning where he almost dies.

What do you consider the most realistic and grounded CBM?

FYI. D'amico beat her ass down, she was saved by Kick Ass. Sure she beat the other guys but that was through Guns and swordplay (against un-armed men)

Most realistic and grounded comic book movie? Hmm... American Splendor, A History of Violence, Road to Perdition, just off the top of my head. Any of those would work. Actually, American Splendor is a pretty risky movie in and of itself, being equal parts adaption and documentary, and being obviously a comic book movie in 2003, when "comic book movie" undoubtedly equaled "superhero movie".

I agree with those, good movies too.

What would you say the most grounded and realistic Superhero comic book movie is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"