The Dark Knight What Do You Think the Nolans Will Improve.

Miranda Fox

Haters to the Left.
Reaction score
What do you personally expect to see improved in the Dark Knight? I've been thinking about this a lot, seeing as how Chris Nolan has often said the only reason to do a sequel is to improve on the original and I think we can all agree that Begins does have flaws.

My own guesses:

Emotional Depth. I read a largely negative review at Filmjerk that actually made a good point about this (so much for Nolan fans supposedly never listening to the other side, amirite?) but given the constraints of Begins, it's understandable that there wasn't the time to delve into Bruce/Batman's psyche, for instance, as much as we would've liked. TDK is a different matter, especially with Joker involved. We need to see how the challanges effect him, how close to the edge Joker drives him and so on. Bruce Wayne is such a goldmine here.

Dialogue: An obvious one and I doubt this needs explaining. Give the Exposition Fairy the movie off, k? ;)

That's mine. Let's hear yours. :)

Dialogue: An obvious one and I doubt this needs explaining. Give the Exposition Fairy the movie off, k? ;)
Jonah will surely take care of this. Thanks Goyer for guiding us, but stick to writing treatments. :o

At the very least, I'd expect something to be done about the editing, more specifically in the fight scenes. Out of every review, universally this was the one thing pretty much everyone agreed on not liking.

Jonah will surely take care of this. Thanks Goyer for guiding us, but stick to writing treatments. :o

At the very least, I'd expect something to be done about the editing, more specifically in the fight scenes. Out of every review, universally this was the one thing pretty much everyone agreed on not liking.

*nods* That's very true. There's no way Nolan isn't aware of that complaint.

I´m very sure the second movie will be less expositional. The first one had to be, in many ways. I think the movie dealt well with Bruce´s psyche, we may just see a new angle on it with Joker showing up.

I'm not really thinking about a complaint from Begins but something that I hope they keep in TDK and maybe develop a little more....

I really do hope they make good use of a mob boss & have a supporting or secondary villain.
ex: Falcone, Scarecrow, Ra's

I personally do not want to see Joker %85 of the time in TDK.

I´m very sure the second movie will be less expositional. The first one had to be, in many ways. I think the movie dealt well with Bruce´s psyche, we may just see a new angle on it with Joker showing up.

I'm pretty satisfied personally with how they dealt with Bruce's psyche - I think the review was referring more to the Bruce/Rachel relationship. What I mean is, there's such a wealth of things to explore it would be a pity to ignore it in the sequel.

OMG not another uselesss thead again. People one reminder when deciding to make a thread just dont.

OMG not another uselesss thead again. People one reminder when deciding to make a thread just dont.

Well what else do you want people to make them on with next to no news for the last month or so...

The worst example of expository dialog is at the end when Batman is explaining Ra's' plan to Gordon. The whole "Do you drive stick" speech. That's the only part of the movie that makes me cringe, if only just a little.

As for what I'd like to see "improved." I hope Joker's plot isn't one that will threaten the entire city. That's been done in EVERY Bat-flick. I hope the main conflict b/w Bats and Joker is more of a personal one. We need to really see why these two become arch-enemies.

As for what I'd like to see "improved." I hope Joker's plot isn't one that will threaten the entire city. That's been done in EVERY Bat-flick. I hope the main conflict b/w Bats and Joker is more of a personal one. We need to really see why these two become arch-enemies.

Seconded. :up:

This brings me to something Nolan talked about - how TDK was going to be different than what we expect. So it doesn't seem impossible that, structually speaking, we may see an improvement.

The worst example of expository dialog is at the end when Batman is explaining Ra's' plan to Gordon. The whole "Do you drive stick" speech. That's the only part of the movie that makes me cringe, if only just a little.

I like this to some degree but like I stated before I do NOT want to see an entire movie of Batman vs Joker......Its been done already. I really dont think Nolan will do this again.

The thing that excites me is how different the brothers seem, I reckon we'll get something that really covers all the bases. There was that Chris/Jonah interview from last year where they asked if TDK would be darker, Chris said he doesn't think in those terms, Jonah replied, "absolutely!".

If anything I'd like TDK to move away from the fairly standard structure of Begins, it was fairly cliche-ridden, but done so well it didn't matter.

Hmmm. Well, I agree with the emotional depth and dialogue assumptions.

BATMAN BEGINS had the trouble of squeezing what was really two different films into one film's running time (the first film being "Bruce Wayne's travels" and the second film being "Batman begins his crusade"). Both were ultimately pared down to the lowest possible level they could be, rather than having been fully explored. That's not a complaint, mind you, but just an observation.

THE DARK KNIGHT now gives Jonathan and Chris the opportunity to really explore one story over the full running-time. I'm very excited to see what they do with it - in their movies, they have the tendency to maximize the use of their screentime, and so I imagine they'll do the same here.

I also imagine they'll give us a more unique film with THE DARK KNIGHT. Nolan has said this film will be taking a different direction, and I hope that implies that it won't be your standard superhero action vehicle. Given the combined creativity of Nolan, Nolan, and Goyer, I think we could have something very interesting on our hands.

Fu*k off explodey

I strongly agree with all points on this thread. One movie rather than two. Less exposition and cliche, more emotional exploration and non-linear structure, an elusive Joker.

Basically I think TDK will be less of a 'comic book movie' than BB was. With the all the save-the-city shenanigans in the last act, the silly maguffin, Gordon in the Tumbler, Batmans relevation to Rachael. All that stuff was like the corn chunks in your vomit (ever notice how there's ALWAYS corn in your vomit, even when you haven't been eating corn?)

With Jonah Nolan on the script I think TDK will mostly be a taut crime thriller movie with some colourful characters.

Fu*k off explodey

I strongly agree with all points on this thread. One movie rather than two. Less exposition and cliche, more emotional exploration and non-linear structure, an elusive Joker.

Basically I think TDK will be less of a 'comic book movie' than BB was. With the all the save-the-city shenanigans in the last act, the silly maguffin, Gordon in the Tumbler, Batmans relevation to Rachael. All that stuff was like the corn chunks in your vomit (ever notice how there's ALWAYS corn in your vomit, even when you haven't been eating corn?)

With Jonah Nolan on the script I think TDK will mostly be a taut crime thriller movie with some colourful characters.

I saw a vision of Mary in my Vomit once.

Splodey... when have YOU ever made a single *post* that was useful? Maybe shut yer yap, eh?

Fu*k off explodey

wow this is just bad.....bad

action action action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm one of the few that actually liked the cinematrography of the action in BATMAN BEGINS -- I felt it was very visceral, engaging and kinetic. I don't think we're going to see a drastic change in that regard.

As far as emotionality goes, I could immensely relate and empathize with Bruce Wayne in BEGINS. I felt it was something largely due to Bale's introvertedly complex performance. The courtroom scene(s) of BEGINS were absolutely exceptional ... the intensity and heartbreak on Bale's face during those scenes were very well performed in my opinion.

So I'm not very concerned for THE DARK KNIGHT nor am I wishing for any substanial improvements. BATMAN BEGINS worked on nearly every level for me, thus it being my favorite comic-book movie and one of my favorite all-time movies.

I have no doubts in Christopher Nolan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"