What happened to the look of the show?

Saint

Avenger
Reaction score
As most of us know, the KidsWB preview that aired the season before the show debuted featured a considerably different look than how the show ultimately turned out (for those who don't know what I'm talking about, what this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bpXmrZLACfM&search=the batman preview ). The main difference is that the preview looks awesome, where as the show as we know it is lame and primitive by comparison.

My question is this: why? Surely in the couple of years since the show started, somebody involved with the production must have mentioned why the change happened. Can anyone inform me of such comments?

Hmmm. That clip does make it looked like The Batman would be a completely diffrent show than what we've seen. the end of the clip kind of ruins the mood though when kids are yelling bring on the Batman:confused: . I cant answer your questions becasue I dont know what they were thinking. But maybe its a case of False advertising.

What i want to know is who was that guy with the white face paint all over his face in the preview. i never seen him before in the mythos. he remindes me of chapel from spawn.

Probably just a random thug.

Rowen said:
What i want to know is who was that guy with the white face paint all over his face in the preview. i never seen him before in the mythos. he remindes me of chapel from spawn.

He reminded me of Chapel also

i think cause the batman was supposed to be a younger bruce wayne and that rendition of him in the preview looked older.

I do remember when i saw the preview for the first time and i thought it looked good then wen it finally came out the first thing i said was, batman looks different.

The Batman looks way better in the preview.

Unfortunately, It didnt deliver as a good show to me.
Hopefully with the rumor that Season 4 will be like TNBA will prove me wrong.

i can't answer your question,but i will say:that preview is awesome(except for the part with the little kids).

These previews often look quite different from the subsequent TV show. The one for BTAS was different than the show (but not by much). These are sort of auditions if you will, and I can imigine the TV execs saying something like "I like this, but we would like to suggest some changes ... "

The differences between the BTAS pilot short and the final show were dictated by the creative staff, not execs, if I recall correctly.

I remember seeing that preview and thinking, wow well this looks pretty cool. But I saw the show and it was diffeent. Than it slowly turned into an animated version of the Adam West bastardization. :( . WTF. Why cant Jeff Matsuda and his guys just get it right? I mean Bruce Timm and Paul Dini got it right. Why cant these new guys just make an effort?

I don't like Batman's look in that preview. He's more detailed, but he's also more ugly.

it is a good show in it's own right. I like that they have put a new spin on things. The preview was great, would have like to see a show based on the preview though.

BatB said:
I remember seeing that preview and thinking, wow well this looks pretty cool. But I saw the show and it was diffeent. Than it slowly turned into an animated version of the Adam West bastardization. :( . WTF. Why cant Jeff Matsuda and his guys just get it right? I mean Bruce Timm and Paul Dini got it right. Why cant these new guys just make an effort?

The Adam West show was not a bastardization. It followed how the comics were during the 60's, extremely campy. The problem with the Batman is that the comics have gotten much darker.

hippie_hunter said:
The Adam West show was not a bastardization. It followed how the comics were during the 60's, extremely campy. The problem with the Batman is that the comics have gotten much darker.
How is the comics getting darker a problem? Thats the good thing. I would hate Batman comics if they were still lame and campy like the 60's show.

That is not a considerable difference. The problem is that your being tricked by the mood and random cuts.

it would be bad arse if they had that song from the clip of batman fighting as the new theme song

storyteller said:
That is not a considerable difference. The problem is that your being tricked by the mood and random cuts.
No, because I am not a fool. I am an artist; it is my business to see these type of things. The difference lies mostly in the colouring details--there is greater shadow detail, giving Batman shape an dimension he does not have in the show. This is most clear on his face. The preview is not so heavily inclined towards anime; the characters are a little more organic, rather than sharp stylized. Batman's face is also drawn with some signifcant differences. His eyes are smaller, his jaw is different, and the cowl sits a little different on his head.

Ultimately, a collection of small stylistic differences contribute to a far superior look than the show ultimately had. The final product was more simplistic than what was seen in the preview.

Stupify_me said:
How is the comics getting darker a problem? Thats the good thing. I would hate Batman comics if they were still lame and campy like the 60's show.

I mean for the Batman cartoon, not the comics.

hippie_hunter said:
I mean for the Batman cartoon, not the comics.
I prefer all forms of Batman to be darker movies, comics, and the Cartoons I hate the campy lame ass 60's version I never could get in to it not even as a kid when my mom thought oh Batman has reruns ill let him watch this I thought it was lame. I liked BTAS I just wished they could let the Joker kill people.

Stupify_me said:
I prefer all forms of Batman to be darker movies, comics, and the Cartoons I hate the campy lame ass 60's version I never could get in to it not even as a kid when my mom thought oh Batman has reruns ill let him watch this I thought it was lame. I liked BTAS I just wished they could let the Joker kill people.
in the BTAS joker did kill people but they just didn't show the body.

GGVenomSandman said:
in the BTAS joker did kill people but they just didn't show the body.
Really? I'd like to know when because I have the DVD's and have never heard anything about it. In fact Bruce Timm clearly states multiple times that JOker never got to kill anyone and that disapointed him.

Stupify_me said:
Really? I'd like to know when because I have the DVD's and have never heard anything about it. In fact Bruce Timm clearly states multiple times that JOker never got to kill anyone and that disapointed him.
The 4th dvd i believe it is the first episode but not sure they had on the news in the cartoon the tape of where the body was

Saint said:
The difference lies mostly in the colouring details--there is greater shadow detail, giving Batman shape an dimension he does not have in the show. This is most clear on his face. The preview is not so heavily inclined towards anime; the characters are a little more organic, rather than sharp stylized. Batman's face is also drawn with some signifcant differences. His eyes are smaller, his jaw is different, and the cowl sits a little different on his head.
Yes, I agree.

Capture.jpg

Capture_2.jpg

BTW, thanks for the preview link. I had never seen before.

:batty:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"