What if the Prequels were Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henzINNIT

Superhero
Reaction score
I was told to watch these by a mate, and oh my god this guy knows his stuff.

**links removed because the videos have uncensored cursing in them**

Despite being just a brief summary, these alternate takes capture the essence of the OT better than George did in all 3 prequels. I actually got a little emotional by the end of the second video lol, no joke.

Seen these before? Thoughts, comments...

(Oh and the illustrations in the second volume are class as well.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The prequels were good.

isRhHchitPtZV.gif

Yeah, I love those videos, can't wait for his third one. It's sad though that's not what we actually got. Also, people are entitled to their own opinions but the prequels are garbage and that's a fact.
**link removed because it leads to uncensored cursing**

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I got my good Prequels. I guess I'm not relevant to this thread.

The prequels were good.

Yes, I got my good Prequels. I guess I'm not relevant to this thread.

Some people go to a fine restaurant and order a world class steak/lobster surf and turf, while others got their good "Cajun Surf and Turf" fried shrimp and chicken from Popeyes. Doesn't change the fact there's a difference between the two.

Glad someone actually watched them haha. The guy has some great ideas.
It's really frustrating seeing all these people who praise the prequels out of some sort of sad denial. I really don't care who berates me for being honest.

The Phantom Menace was a solid attempt to make a memorable movies that would advance the lore and please fans. However it was just two hours of Lucas chasing the dragon so to speak and this doomed him to failure from the start. The jokes weren't funny, the characters were bland, and politics were so convoluted and boring that all the adults can easily pick them apart and the kids completely clocked out.

Attack of the Clones was 100% phoned in. Dooku doesn't show up until half way through the movies, Hayden was cast for looks, Boba Fett shows up for no reason, the politics get more ridiculous, the whole thing felt like subpar fan faction.

Revenge of the Sith was like one of those presentations you gave in high school, where you had no idea what you're talking about so you try to throw as many distractions as you can until you wrap it up. I think at some point Lucas realized he'd barely told the story of Darth Vader so he started the whole thing by back tracking. Telling us in the intro Obi-Wan and Anakin are friends, Anakins a good pilot, and he's caring even for the expendable clones. Then the rest of the movie is just 5 lightsaber fights which George used as the equivalent of dangling candy in front of a little kid.

You may love these movies, you may adore them, but they're lazy and sloppily written. Who do I think I am that I can say this? I'm honest and I'm intelligent enough to see that the new films didn't have a fraction of the depth that even a few scenes in Empire did. It's like comparing Elektra to the Dark Knight, they're superhero movies but one was made for quick cash and one was executed with deep care. It's kind of sad, when you read all these comments from people who try and point to these films deep misunderstood brilliance. You never even listen to criticism because you know deep down its legitimate and you just don't want to admit it.

Gianakin if you felt you had "no place in this thread" you would have stayed out of it, instead you've refused to watch RedLetterMedia, you refused to watch this, you've actually refused to accept any constructive criticism at all. You also defend your choice to enter these conversations by saying you don't like vacuums that lack diversity of opinion, yet you don't actually hear out the opposite opinion, effectively leaving your mind a closed vacuum none the less.

The same goes for all the rest of you who probably don't know much about film making, and refuse to listen to the legitimate opinions of those who do. Yeah go ahead and say I'm attacking you, if my words offend you, then you're just telling me I struck a nerve and that I am right because if you don't see my logic I wouldn't be bothering you at all.

Watch an episode of Family Guy, almost any single one, you'll find a reference to the star wars films; note none of which are towards the prequels. Look at various TV show parodies of Star Wars, never see one about the prequels, well not one that's taking them seriously that is. If these movies were as loved or as great as any one of you say then tell me why they haven't sank into pop culture?

If the villains were so great and memorable then how come they did nothing villainous?

In A New Hope, Darth Vader enters coldly observing a landscape of dead bodies, Chokes out a guy with one hand, chokes someone mentally for disagreeing with his beliefs, tortures the female lead, destroys a peaceful populated planet resembling earth, kills the heroes mentor, and has a rich history within the story.

In The Phantom Menace Darth Maul stabs Qui-Gon, a guy he's never had any contact with before and in battle.

See a difference there? It doesn't get any better as the films go on, it almost did in Sith with Grievous murdering Shaak Ti in cold blood, but they cut that. The most evil thing we see is Anakin killing the children, the guy we're supposed to feel sympathetic for is being more evil on screen than all of the other antagonists of the trilogy combined.

Also if those movies are so great why is it I can't go to target or walmart or best buy and find the complete saga or the original trilogy box set but I can easily grab the prequel one in both Blu Ray and DVD I might add? I guess it's just so loved and adored they had to make sure it's always in stock right?

Sure go ahead and show me all the critics that raved about them and the box office sales. I'll feel free to respond with the high marks for films like Spider-Man 3, and quite a few other bad films everyone wants to love. Anyway, just thought I should point that out to anyone who's got their fingers in their ears.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the prequels were "good".

But they definitely weren't "bad" either. They're a complex bundle of flaws and strengths IMO. As is often the case with these types of things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of all the hyperbole from both sides.

Oh, and I'm a month late on this- but what an obnoxious post that was BenKenobi. And I don't say that cause I'm "offended", but because you pulled the ol' "I'm smarter and objectively right because I just said I'm smarter and objectively right!" card. That's annoying in any form of debate, period. Has nothing to do with whether I like the prequels or not (I have very mixed feelings about them).

The only thing I can praise about the prequels is the design. I loved the look of Coruscant and the design of episode 1. But, good design does not atone for horrible writing and wooden acting.

I think they can also be praised for their ambition. It's a trilogy where the fall of a great republic/rise of dictatorship is the backdrop and the main hero's tragic descent into villainy is your main story thread. Yes, of course "good on paper, badly executed" is what PT haters will undoubtedly say, and I'd even agree to a large extent, but for me it's not that cut and dry. There's still a grand idea behind that story arc that's very unusual for a series of blockbuster films aimed at kids, and I appreciate the way GL tried to turn the whole Star Wars mythos on its head, both stylistically and thematically, even if he didn't succeed at every turn.

I think ultimately the PT simply gets bashed because they pale in comparison to the OT. But IMO, they never really even had a chance of living up. George started with IV, V and VI because that was the most cinematic portion of his saga. The prequels are backstory by nature, and were probably always better suited for a novel, but we ended up getting films out of it so I think it's kind of neat.

I'm sure many will disagree with that last statement, but that's kind of how I see it. It's all a big prologue. The saga works just fine without them, but it functions as putting a new perspective on the story if you want it to.

It's really frustrating seeing all these people who praise the prequels out of some sort of sad denial. I really don't care who berates me for being honest.

The Phantom Menace was a solid attempt to make a memorable movies that would advance the lore and please fans. However it was just two hours of Lucas chasing the dragon so to speak and this doomed him to failure from the start. The jokes weren't funny, the characters were bland, and politics were so convoluted and boring that all the adults can easily pick them apart and the kids completely clocked out.

Attack of the Clones was 100% phoned in. Dooku doesn't show up until half way through the movies, Hayden was cast for looks, Boba Fett shows up for no reason, the politics get more ridiculous, the whole thing felt like subpar fan faction.

Revenge of the Sith was like one of those presentations you gave in high school, where you had no idea what you're talking about so you try to throw as many distractions as you can until you wrap it up. I think at some point Lucas realized he'd barely told the story of Darth Vader so he started the whole thing by back tracking. Telling us in the intro Obi-Wan and Anakin are friends, Anakins a good pilot, and he's caring even for the expendable clones. Then the rest of the movie is just 5 lightsaber fights which George used as the equivalent of dangling candy in front of a little kid.

You may love these movies, you may adore them, but they're lazy and sloppily written. Who do I think I am that I can say this? I'm honest and I'm intelligent enough to see that the new films didn't have a fraction of the depth that even a few scenes in Empire did. It's like comparing Elektra to the Dark Knight, they're superhero movies but one was made for quick cash and one was executed with deep care. It's kind of sad, when you read all these comments from people who try and point to these films deep misunderstood brilliance. You never even listen to criticism because you know deep down its legitimate and you just don't want to admit it.

Gianakin if you felt you had "no place in this thread" you would have stayed out of it, instead you've refused to watch RedLetterMedia, you refused to watch this, you've actually refused to accept any constructive criticism at all. You also defend your choice to enter these conversations by saying you don't like vacuums that lack diversity of opinion, yet you don't actually hear out the opposite opinion, effectively leaving your mind a closed vacuum none the less.

The same goes for all the rest of you who probably don't know much about film making, and refuse to listen to the legitimate opinions of those who do. Yeah go ahead and say I'm attacking you, if my words offend you, then you're just telling me I struck a nerve and that I am right because if you don't see my logic I wouldn't be bothering you at all.

Watch an episode of Family Guy, almost any single one, you'll find a reference to the star wars films; note none of which are towards the prequels. Look at various TV show parodies of Star Wars, never see one about the prequels, well not one that's taking them seriously that is. If these movies were as loved or as great as any one of you say then tell me why they haven't sank into pop culture?

If the villains were so great and memorable then how come they did nothing villainous?

In A New Hope, Darth Vader enters coldly observing a landscape of dead bodies, Chokes out a guy with one hand, chokes someone mentally for disagreeing with his beliefs, tortures the female lead, destroys a peaceful populated planet resembling earth, kills the heroes mentor, and has a rich history within the story.

In The Phantom Menace Darth Maul stabs Qui-Gon, a guy he's never had any contact with before and in battle.

See a difference there? It doesn't get any better as the films go on, it almost did in Sith with Grievous murdering Shaak Ti in cold blood, but they cut that. The most evil thing we see is Anakin killing the children, the guy we're supposed to feel sympathetic for is being more evil on screen than all of the other antagonists of the trilogy combined.

Also if those movies are so great why is it I can't go to target or walmart or best buy and find the complete saga or the original trilogy box set but I can easily grab the prequel one in both Blu Ray and DVD I might add? I guess it's just so loved and adored they had to make sure it's always in stock right?

Sure go ahead and show me all the critics that raved about them and the box office sales. I'll feel free to respond with the high marks for films like Spider-Man 3, and quite a few other bad films everyone wants to love. Anyway, just thought I should point that out to anyone who's got their fingers in their ears.
Wow, this is possibly one of the most elitist posts I've ever seen on the Hype. Its all a matter of opinion on what is good or not, and a lot of us love the prequels and consider them good films. And considering you +969
essentially call us stupid for enjoying them and taking them seriously in the overall saga, I cannot even begin to accept any of your other criticisms. I know a couple doctors who love the prequels, does that mean they aren't intelligent enough?

Best advice I can give overall, if you don't like them, pretend they don't exist. Don't waste your time complaining how you wasted your time on movies you hated, or how George Lucas raped your childhood characters. No one is making anyone watch these, so I'd prefer if so many people tried to stop forcing people like me and Gianakin to suddenly stop liking these films and fall to our knees and scream to the heavens how wrong we've been. Maybe Episode VII will bring this fandom back together, but honestly I think I'd rather see JJ screw it up so badly the prequels might looking appealing to the rest of you.

I liked the youtube vids OP.

A lot of really good ideas.

You had me until you referenced Family Guy, no matter how bad the prequels can be, that show is simply worse and dumber than anything Lucas could have given us in the prequels

It's really frustrating seeing all these people who praise the prequels out of some sort of sad denial.

You may love these movies, you may adore them, but they're lazy and sloppily written. Who do I think I am that I can say this? I'm honest and I'm intelligent enough to see that the new films didn't have a fraction of the depth that even a few scenes in Empire did.

Anyway, just thought I should point that out to anyone who's got their fingers in their ears.

And they wonder why I say PT haters are the worst kind of nerd...

Wow, I only now read BenKenobi's post, as I had him on my ignore list. It's been such a long time I've pressed the report button, I wonder if it feels like Bruce felt when he put on the suit in TDKR. Let's find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"