What is the first thing you think of when you think of "art"?

It is, those illustrators spend the exact same amount of time learning their craft as those 'artists'. There's even evidence to suggest all those great works of art from the masters from the 1500's onwards may have been aided with lens projection using devices like camera obscuras. So spare me this nonsense about artists and illustrators. The reality is tracing and projecting has long been a tool within the industry.

So that time I traced my hand and turned it into a turkey wasn't art:huh:

What about in 5th grade when Aiesha traced my chorizo and showed the drawing to the whole class, she got allot of applause, the whole thing seemed pretty artsy-fartsy!

Last edited:
What is the first thing you think of when you think of "art"?

Easy.

[YT]r9B7BQWnZJs[/YT]

If anyone refutes this, you are a liar and a phony.

Tracing is the auto-tune of art.

Sure it may make you hit the note, but it in no way is a tool nor does it make you an artist.

So, are you against using grids to draw accurately?

It is a tool. If you're a professional it speeds up the process. You'll find a lot of artists either trace or project images in order to save time. Tracing doesn't mean much if you don't know how to actually paint the image or know how to manipulate it to your tastes. IF you've got a deadline you can't be pissing around spending days doing something by eye.

:up:

Is the Chivito art?

20083950.jpg

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/anthony-bourdain/video/the-greatest-sandwich-ever

Last edited:
The concept is the same, you using both methods to draw more accurately. One just takes less time to do.
No, they're not. A grid is training you on how to draw accurately. Tracing is just copying with no training.

Tracing vs drawing is like Greg Land vs Alex Ross.

Both being extreme examples since Alex Ross is ****ing amazing with every panel being pure art and Greg Land being a hack that uses the same five O-Faces for every single woman in his books.

I find if you trace then are able to modify it to be completely different than the source then it's better than just making a copy.

Here's what I mean by Greg Land for any unfamiliar with him.

http://jimsmashextended.blogspot.ca/2008/07/greg-land-tracing-swiping-recycling.html?m=1

Last edited:
I know I wouldn't call my manips as art. :o #shotsfired

I wouldn't call manips art either. I just call them what they are, photomanipulations.

No, they're not. A grid is training you on how to draw accurately. Tracing is just copying with no training.

If this was true any Joe Average could create a great piece of art by just tracing. But no, you need to understand things like, balance, proportion, colour theory, lighting etc. There's more that goes on than what you're suggesting. Tracing/projecting is a tool in the hands of a professional. You can label it a crutch all you want but the reality is its a time saver for a lot of professionals, quicker they get it done the more money they can earn. At the end of the day it's the result that matters not how you got there.

The L?

Believe what you want jmc. Enjoy your autotune/tracing.

Real artists dont use store-bought pencils and lead.

Real artists go chop down a tree, widdle their pencils, and harvest their own lead.

#realartists

#realart

:o

Graphite. Lead is a metal. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"