What is the greatest sequel of all time?

1. TDK/Temple
2. Empire
3. Godfather2

all four I consider perfect, and it just become preference after that.

Terminator 2.

It stills the best sequel ever made IMO. Everything have aged very well. And the story is just intense. AND it has one of the greatest villains of all time.

Come on, you have Temple of Doom in the poll but not The Dead Man's Chest?

Just looked at the poll at the top. What was the Twin Towers a sequel to? A World Trade Center movie? :huh:

This movie wasn't as big as the rest, but an honorable mention for me, Friday the 13th Part 2. We get a child out to avenge his mother who died avenging him. Not to mention it was the true birth of one of the most iconic characters in film history.

Two other honorable mentions I won't have to explain: Evil Dead 2 and Dawn of the Dead.

But I digress.

My vote, even with those goes to Empire Strikes Back. It had everything you would want from a sequel.

I think I'm in the bracket that's bound to say Terminator 2. I mean, it just can't be replicated.

Surpasses the original in every single way, and is immensely entertaining:

220px-Scream_2.jpg

But of all-time... probably T2.

The sequels that blew me away even though I had ridiculously high expectations are;

SM2
I loved the first so was expected big things but SM2 blew those expectations away.

Empire
Same reasons as above

I didn't have high expectations for Godfather 2 or TDK because if I'm being completely honest I didn't like the opening movies but the sequels blew me away.

The Empire Strikes Back
Terminator 2
The Wrath of Khan

Last edited:
I say Empire but I do have an appreciation for Godfather 2.

Well BTTFII is not the best sequel, but the trilogy is great overall.

The Godfather Part II isn't just the best sequel of all time. It could be argued that it's THE best film all time. I'm not saying it is, definitely, but the argument could definitely be made. It's just amazing.

The true test of a good sequel is if it's my DVD/Blu Ray collection and all of them are. :o

My vote was not so much the best movie , but the best sequel in comparison to the previous movie.

If it was supposed to be the best , off course it's Godfather Part 2 (and again Sanjuro a close second).

The Godfather II by a landslide. No film ever had to live up to greater expectations, to a greater predecessor. And the fact that The Godfather II manages that and more, indisputably establishes it as the best sequel in cinema history.

The Godfather II by a landslide. No film ever had to live up to greater expectations, to a greater predecessor. And the fact that The Godfather II manages that and more, indisputably establishes it as the best sequel in cinema history.

Amen to that. It's a true sequel in every sense of the word, but it's also just an amazing stand-alone film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"