what is the greatest sequel of all time?

The Godfather Part II.
Empire Strikes Back.
Aliens.

Cliche/stereotypical choices I know. But cliches/stereotypes have basis in truth!

The Dark Knight above T2 and Aliens? Sorry, but that is ****ing ridiculous.

It's hard to pick #1 for me, because it'd either be Aliens or ESB and I love both movies very much. I like TDK, but imo it isn't as good as some of the classics out there. However, this forum is populated by comic book fans so I guess TDK would get alot of votes as a result.

Man...a lot of 2nd movies topped the first. (T2, Batman Returns, Supes II, Empire Strikes Back, X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, Star Trek II, Blade II)

I'm going Aliens.

And to think a long time ago when sequels were always **** and never lived up to the original. It still happens, but not as much as it used to. People actual pay attention and try to make a great and better film.

Aliens, T2,TESB and GFII are hands down the best sequels of all time. i dont get all the TDK love, outside of The Joker it was pretty boring.

i dont get all the TDK love, outside of The Joker it was pretty boring.
:funny:

There are some criticisms of the film that I understand, but boring isn't one of them.

Last edited:
:funny:

There are some criticisms of the film that I understand, but boring isn't one of them.

the word subjective is apparently lost on you.

and i didnt say the film as a whole was boring, i said that when The Joker wasnt on screen the film is quite boring. Bruce is uninteresting as hell, i did enjoy the scenes with Harvey and Alfred was awesome but other than that The Joker carried the whole movie. i really liked the movie the first time i saw it, it was that initial awe factor with Heath Ledger passing and reading about how he became the character but after that wore off and i saw the film again it was ok at best and it really shone when The Joker came out.

Last edited:
My biggest criticism with TDK is that while I loved watching The Joker and Harvey Dent, I couldn't care less about Batman. I don't particularly like Christian Bale as Batman; he gives me no reason to care about him. Commissioner Gordon comes off as more of a hero than Batman does.

Aliens, T2,TESB and GFII are hands down the best sequels of all time. i dont get all the TDK love, outside of The Joker it was pretty boring.

Dude i'm so with you on that! I really don't undertsand it all my peers love it, but I've watched Aliens thousands of times literally as well as Terminator 2 those.

You can't do that with TDK it's just too heavy, and dreary, in my opinion anyway.

But I just thought it was cool that someone shares the same kinda view, specially since everyone rates it as the Greatest film ever!

Can't we just have one thread where we don't argue about whether TDK was overrated or not?

Can't we just have one thread where we don't argue about whether TDK was overrated or not?
Yes, but not this one. As the entire thread is about rating TDK and other films against each other.

get used to it, TDK gets brought up in every single thread regardless of the subject matter. there could be a thread about the sound of music remake and TDK will rare it's ugly head inside the thread.

Empire is the clear winner of the poll, as it should be.
It not only built upon and dramatically increased the stakes of the first film, but it left you dying to see the rest of the story. I remember being so disapointed with the way it ended as a little kid, but I didn't realize there was going to be a sequel. When TV spots spots started showing for Jedi, my little brain about exploded. But that was all because of the set-up Empire had provided.

And I have said it already, but unless you do away with message boards, spoilers...the Internet...you will never, ever, ever have a another moment of shock on the level of "I am your father." I kind of feel sorry for many of you younger movie fans. That is a moment in film history, the level of which will never be repeated.

I just went with Temple of Doom, as far as being the second one released. I really love ToD, and it doesn't deserve its hate. In fact I've never seen a good reason for the hate it gets.

I'd also go with BTTF 2, For A Few Dollars More, or Empire. I dislike Terminator 2 because of where they went with Sarah Connors, so I'd leave that out. I don't like Superman 2 either; it's not horrible but I've always found it's villains too generic for my taste. Aliens is a good sequel to what is, at heart, a B-movie. Spiderman 2 is amazing too. The list is pretty good overall; I had to think it out.

It not only built upon and dramatically increased the stakes of the first film, but it left you dying to see the rest of the story. I remember being so disapointed with the way it ended as a little kid, but I didn't realize there was going to be a sequel. When TV spots spots started showing for Jedi, my little brain about exploded. But that was all because of the set-up Empire had provided.

And I have said it already, but unless you do away with message boards, spoilers...the Internet...you will never, ever, ever have a another moment of shock on the level of "I am your father." I kind of feel sorry for many of you younger movie fans. That is a moment in film history, the level of which will never be repeated.

I feel the same about anything above Godfather 2.

These two films are my top 2 with Empire barely edging out Godfather part II for me.

For me Personally Batman Returns.I still watch that movie alot.

Step Up 2 the Streets, obviously. :whatever:

When Empire Strikes Back ended, I left convinced Darth Vader was lying about being Luke's father (I was six at the time). Absolutely refused to believe it was true, and none of the other kids I know believed it either.

When I saw the TV spots for Return of the Jedi, and it showed a clip of Luke asking Yoda if Darth Vader was really his father, that was the moment I realized it was true.

Agreed 100%.

get used to it, TDK gets brought up in every single thread regardless of the subject matter. there could be a thread about the sound of music remake and TDK will rare it's ugly head inside the thread.
There needs to be an internet law stating that any discussion that even remotely involves comic books and/or film will inevitably become a discussion on TDK. It happens every single time.

Very easy to answer for me: The Godfather 2, followed closely by Empire Strikes Back.

I went with ESB....this movie is engraved in the public conscious...the mere mention of "I am your father" and you know everyone is thinking ESB. It ends on the greatest cliffhanger in cinema history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"