What will be the 'Scott Pilgrim' of 2013?

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
You know, that movie like 'Cowboys and Aliens' or 'John Carter' which has a lot of geek cred and then turns out to be a bomb?

My guess? 'The lone ranger'. Watch this space.

Yeah, The Lone Ranger has flop written all over it, no doubt there will be a few other high profile ones though.

i think Lone Ranger.

but i wouldnt be suprised if its Pacific Rim . '' oh but no. i like the trailer so it will make money''

Hoping and thinking it will be The Lone Ranger. It just looks so... bland.

Depp's Tonto is what makes it bland IMO. everything else looks like an unique fun entertaining western summer movie.

I think the focus on Depp is what makes it annoying. I honestly think if Depp wasn't Tonto I think people would be less pissed and annoyed about he movie.

It's sad because I loved the serials of the Lone Ranger but Verbinski's budgeting problems plus Depp's involvement may end up hurting this movie.

I'm sure Lone Ranger will bomb on an epic scale for various reasons; but does it really have "geek cred?" Westerns, in general, don't have "geek cred" (unfortunately), and appeal far more to mainstream values and audiences.

I thought "geek cred" applied only to speculative fiction --- sci-fi, fantasy, horror, superheroes.

To that end, I'm not sure how many "geek cred" movies will bomb in 2013, but I'm sure there's several good/great sci-fi/fantasy movies that will go highly underrated next year --- Oblivion, Jack the Giant Slayer, Oz, After Earth, Elysium...

Oh man, you just had to use Scott Pilgrim as an example don't ya? :(

Scott Pilgrim fortunately has a nice sized following. Lone Ranger doesn't have enough 'geek' cred though. PAC Rim might bomb only because in cynical bit I think and hope it has enough mass appeal due to its visuals alone.

Scott Pilgrim's problem is that the only people that saw it were the hipsters it was satirizing, and even then they didn't all go.

The Lone Ranger couldn't have the furthest from geek cred.

Pacific Rim. No brainer.

Scott Pilgrim is a great movie.

I could see G.I Joe bombing, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ender's Game struggles to find a following it'll be this years Scott Pilgrim.

I don't think Pacific Rim will flop, but it'll definitely underperform.

The difference between The Lone Ranger trailers and Scott Pilgrim was that I didn't have the urge to punch something when watching it.

Meaning The Lone Ranger trailers have given me more joy than anything Scott Pilgrim could possibly offer me.

The Lone Ranger - I still can't see how it's that different form Wild Wild West and I see it performing the same (keep in mind WWW had box office legend Will Smith)

Pacific Rim - the trailer just doesn't offer up a lot in comparison to other sci-fi movies this year and seems to have low budget effects or this might just be early stage effects at this point.

I didn't see Scott Pilgrim in theaters unitl it was on cable but I actually started liking it, I don't see that happening with Lone Ranger, westerns suck just like The Green Hornet.

Were Cowboys & Aliens, John Carter, and The Lone Ranger hits at SDCC?

I thought the whole issue with Scott Pilgrim was how popular it seemed at SDCC and it's failure showed studios that marketing to people who were going to see it anyway and using it as a sign of future success isn't a good idea.

The difference between The Lone Ranger trailers and Scott Pilgrim was that I didn't have the urge to punch something when watching it.

Meaning The Lone Ranger trailers have given me more joy than anything Scott Pilgrim could possibly offer me.

I liked the Lone Ranger trailer, but I can help but think the focus will be too much on Tonto.

I think even if its good, I can't help but think the Lone Ranger will flop because Verbinski and Disney spent too much on a genre that's not known for huge blockbuster hits. I really want to be wrong though.

Honestly, LR doesn't have geek cred. Lone Ranger is in the same boat as John Carter and Captain America ; pop culture icons of yesteryear. Whether Lone Ranger be more like John Carter (a bomb) or Captain America (mild success that renewed interest into the character) we don't know. Captain America did have "geek cred" though.

I didn't see Scott Pilgrim in theaters unitl it was on cable but I actually started liking it, I don't see that happening with Lone Ranger, westerns suck just like The Green Hornet.

I hope you don't mean Westerns in general suck.

You know he does.

I liked the Lone Ranger trailer, but I can help but think the focus will be too much on Tonto.

I think even if its good, I can't help but think the Lone Ranger will flop because Verbinski and Disney spent too much on a genre that's not known for huge blockbuster hits. I really want to be wrong though.

Honestly, LR doesn't have geek cred. Lone Ranger is in the same boat as John Carter and Captain America ; pop culture icons of yesteryear. Whether Lone Ranger be more like John Carter (a bomb) or Captain America (mild success that renewed interest into the character) we don't know. Captain America did have "geek cred" though.

This could very well flop. I'm just excited because I've never seen a blockbuster western with a budget like this before (Except Wild Wild West... ****) and the fact the same guys who revived interest in pirates are doing a western. So I'm giving it a chance because I just love westerns anyway and I want this to succeed.

This thread probably would have done better with using Speed Racer as an analogy since Scott Pilgrim was more of a satire than a straight up action or homage flick. Speed Racer's demise still bugs me to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"