Iron Man 2 What will happen now that everyone knows Stark is Ironman?

I

imnotbatman

i didnt expect that. in the comics, does everyone know hes ironman or is it a secret? i just dont know what they would do in the sequel with everyone knowing who he is now.

I expect it could tie in or lead into their take on the "Demon in a Bottle" story arc. Think about it: the hassles of running a successful yet very dangerous business, maybe a dragon and a magician running around with a covert terrorist group, and the few citizens who'd sue Stark for damages during his battles against the film's villain(s) for a quick buck, and all of it leaves Stark extremely stressed. Basically, I wanna see him revealing himself come back to bite him in the ash and be a catalyst for going to the booze.

Demon in the bottle story not going to happen

i didnt expect that. in the comics, does everyone know hes ironman or is it a secret? i just dont know what they would do in the sequel with everyone knowing who he is now.

Didn't used to be this way in the comic until a late 90's.

Tony's secret identity accidentally got leaked in Joe Quesada's run and before that in Busiek's who took it back by wiping everyone on Earth of the knowledge with an A.I.M super-weapon IIRC. Been a while since I've read their story lines so I may have gotten the timing messed up.

Some time after that but before Civil War Tony "came out" of his own volition.

He became a government official. I think he worked as the leader of the Department of Defense. He's kept his identity public since then and now is the director of SHIELD.

I think the demon in a bottle storyline should parallel RDJs own struggle with addiction. Roberts real story is about his struggle with fame and Iron Man would go through the same thing now that everyone knows who he is. So Favreau should try and use RDJs real life experinces

Tony's alcoholism was triggered by Iron Man's repulsor blast killing a man in a plot by Justin Hammer.

I Thought repulsor blasts were non fatal

Anything can be fatal if used in the right way. You could throw a cabbage at someone's head and make them stumble into the path of a truck. The repulsors probably didn't decapitate the guy, but led to the death - kinda like Spidey with Gwen: his webs don't exactly look lethal, but they did a good job at breaking her neck.

Don't know, man. Normally I'd say 'Google is your friend' but I just did a quick search and came up short.

Iron Man's hand was behind the guy's back. Device activated, repulsor blast goes off and right through the guy.

& there i was thinking how a cabbage could kill a man... :csad:

Iron Man's hand was behind the guy's back. Device activated, repulsor blast goes off and right through the guy.

That might be a bit too much for a film though. I still think the fame is going to lead him to drink. Just think about the press would be furious at Stark for his womanizing and all that, he's a hero, kids look up to him, people wouldn't think he was being a responsible role model

I honestly don't want to see a celebrity meltdown that's parallel to something like Britney Spears, Michael Richardson, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan or whatever. Because quite frankly for at least Spears and Hilton they were smorees before their so-called meltdowns.

At the end of the day, Tony Stark/Iron Man is a guy that believes he's doing some good (while his approach might be questionable on how truly good it is). While it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the comics, the pressures of being a public figure as well as a super hero as well as the combination of screwing up where an incident he's involved in causes someone else that's innocent to get hurt or killed would push him over the edge. Because that's sort of what it was, he wanted to become Iron Man to help people, and suddenly someone gets hurt because of him and he feels guilty over it so he takes solace in the bottle. While he was a drinker before, he never really let it get out of hand, and after that it did.

I was thinking that maybe they could bring out Stark's problem with the drink as a result of people knowing that he's Iron Man. He could try and do good but people are everywhere trying to cash in on the heroe's obvious wealth. Some silly stuff like someone falling from a building, IM saves them but they get whiplash in the process. The city files suit upon suit against him for dangerous conduct. He slowly sinks into the bottle, thinking he can't do right for doing wrong. If he didn't perform his heroisms then he'd be in the wrong, and yet when he does them he has vultures ready to knock him down.

Arrr *brain spasm* :/

:o

Anyway, I think that could work, and it'd also leave them free to creat the inclination about why he may want to make people think that he isn't actually IM in the future.

I honestly don't want to see a celebrity meltdown that's parallel to something like Britney Spears, Michael Richardson, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan or whatever. Because quite frankly for at least Spears and Hilton they were smorees before their so-called meltdowns.

At the end of the day, Tony Stark/Iron Man is a guy that believes he's doing some good (while his approach might be questionable on how truly good it is). While it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the comics, the pressures of being a public figure as well as a super hero as well as the combination of screwing up where an incident he's involved in causes someone else that's innocent to get hurt or killed would push him over the edge. Because that's sort of what it was, he wanted to become Iron Man to help people, and suddenly someone gets hurt because of him and he feels guilty over it so he takes solace in the bottle. While he was a drinker before, he never really let it get out of hand, and after that it did.
Yeah I'd much prefer it to play out like this than be due to his new celebrity status.

I changed my mind I like what you said better what you said really makes us care about Tonys situation unllike celeb meltdowns which no one truely sympathizes with. Still I would to see some Downey influence though

Honestly, I think it would be much more organic to have the alcoholism come from the stress of being both Tony Stark and Iron Man. Not the celebrity that comes from it, the responsibility. Tony is fighting to undo the damage he did dealing weapons, both in the board room and in the field. The further he goes, the more he digs through everything he never cared to notice before, the more he's going to see his technology, past and present, being corrupted others. Favreau said that a big inspiration for Tony's character arc in the sequel will be Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project. Oppenheimer was quoted to have said, upon seeing the first test of the bomb, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Seeing how much Stark technology is being used to kill and otherwise ruin the world would probably make Tony feel the same way. And the stress of trying to undo it all will probably make a nice scotch on the rocks at the end of the day sound very tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"