Iron Man What would be acceptible for them to change in the Iron man movie?

Isildur´s Heir said:
And it gives what?
It´s part of who he is...

Didn´t you knew, Superman, when was created, didn´t fly, he jumped around, hence the "ABLE TO LEAP TALL BUILDINGS IN A SINGLE BOUND".
He just got the ability to fly during the 40´s, does this means they got the origin wrong?
Bruce Banner didn´t transformed into a physical manifestation of his repressed feelings and had various Hulk personalities, but that is canon now.
Prior to Detective Comics #38, Batman killed and used firearms....
Do i need to go on?
Bottom line is, alcoholism is an integral part of Tony Stark´s origin...

I agree with this guy (minus the, with alcoholism, the story loses any sense of real depth): http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2006/05/tony_stark_not_an_alcoholic_in_iron_man.html
I have every Alcoholism issue of Iron Man, it takes place in a 2 year span and is an isolated incident, furthermore it is not connected in any way shape or form to who he is or how he became Iron Man unlike almost every other retcon you listed (and the alcoholism was not a retcon it was brought on by a series of unfortunate events--not the movie). So unless Stane plans to buy him out and you want to have him accidentally kill someone, there is no reason for the alcoholism, certainly not right away. It has not been re-addressed until now under "No new ideas" Quesada, and was not integral to his character in the late 80s, 70s and early 90s all of which had equally impacting storylines (like Armor Wars, Armor Wars II, Sentinent Armor Storyline, *shudder* Teen Tony:( ....just forget that please, Iron Man vs Doctor Doom, etc.).

His alcoholism is about as important as DareDevil's homelessness, sure we loved it and it was a great storyline, but it is an isolated story and ought to be treated as such. DareDevil traditionally is not a short order cook or junk yard worker/hustler, but he has been....however I don't want a movie about him to have him as anything but a Lawyer, despite my love for Born Again and Fall From Grace.

^ Unfortunatly, the casual comicbook reader only thinks of Iron Man/ Tony Stark as a alcoholic, its made fun of in just about every issue of Toyfair, so thats all anyone connect's with when they think of Iron Man, Iron Man has a rich story telling tradition, that Jon is looking at, should Tony's alcoholism be address, absolutely, but not in a origin story.

I think that Jon will do a good job, and has already addressed the alchoholism saying he doesn't plan on doing it, so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

The problem has only been compounded however by Ulitmate Iorn Man though. A lot of people I fear will not be able to distinguish between that and the orginal Iorn Man. Though I must admit I really enjoy UI. However I want the orginal Iorn Man movie not an Ultimate.

I don't think the alcoholism is that important in this movie. Although the groundwork should be laid for it. It shouldn't take center stage. Just a hint that Stark drinks a bit more than is good for him.

I have no problem with them changing the location to the Middle East and Wong Chu to the leader of a terrorist cell or some such.

I'd be very annoyed to see major changes to the armor but I wouldn't have a problem with small ones.

I think some armor changes are a given. Hopefully nothing huge...I still want some traditional red & gold togs for Tony.

However, didn't Favreau hint that we'd see a few variations throughout the film as Stark upgrades?

Isildur´s Heir said:
And it gives what?
It´s part of who he is...

Didn´t you knew, Superman, when was created, didn´t fly, he jumped around, hence the "ABLE TO LEAP TALL BUILDINGS IN A SINGLE BOUND".
He just got the ability to fly during the 40´s, does this means they got the origin wrong?
Bruce Banner didn´t transformed into a physical manifestation of his repressed feelings and had various Hulk personalities, but that is canon now.
Prior to Detective Comics #38, Batman killed and used firearms....
Do i need to go on?
Bottom line is, alcoholism is an integral part of Tony Stark´s origin...

I agree with this guy (minus the, with alcoholism, the story loses any sense of real depth): http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2006/05/tony_stark_not_an_alcoholic_in_iron_man.html

Once again, this is an origin story for Iron Man. The alcoholism is an entirely separate issue that would bog down the origin story.

It's an important part of his character, but it's not crucial to an origin story/movie.

str8raz0r said:
I think some armor changes are a given. Hopefully nothing huge...I still want some traditional red & gold togs for Tony.

However, didn't Favreau hint that we'd see a few variations throughout the film as Stark upgrades?

Armor changes, if you mean changed from the comic book version, aren't necissarilly a given. Remember how before Spider-Man came out everyone thought the costume would be changed, it was almost expected. Even Alex Ross did costume redesigns. Then the movie came about and they made it pretty much the same as the comic. So maybe they can do the same with Tony's costume. Jon did say they would show an evolution starting with the original old gray clunky costume. Should be really cool.

Ultimate Iron Man has sort of added to the thought that his drinking is a big part of Tony. In the Ultimates he is always drinking, and from the moment he is introduced he is drinking and says he gets drunk just to get in the suit. Ultimate Tony is a great take on the character. But in regular Marvel the drinking was introduced later to make his character more interesting. But Ultimate Marvel makes it look like drinking is part of Tony's character.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind them changing the kidnapping origin, like I have said before. But it would be interesting to see how they will handle it. I also wouldn't mind them changeing the fact that he has to wear the suit to stay alive. I think the main idea of Iron Man is that he is a rich playboy, not pretending to be, but at the same time or maybe because of it he has a sence of responcibility to use his power to make the world a better place.
I think if they add all this in, the secret identity and the kidnapping and the fact that he has to wear the suit to stay alive, it could be a really interesting and classic comic book movie.

I'm already looking forward to seeing the art of book, the visual development work for the film.

Duncan MacLeod said:
I don't think the alcoholism is that important in this movie. Although the groundwork should be laid for it. It shouldn't take center stage. Just a hint that Stark drinks a bit more than is good for him.

I have no problem with them changing the location to the Middle East and Wong Chu to the leader of a terrorist cell or some such.

I'd be very annoyed to see major changes to the armor but I wouldn't have a problem with small ones.

I agree, the alcoholism shouldn't play any role in the first film, a hint at a future problem would be fine with me.
Changing the location of Stark's capture makes sense, most people in a audience will not relate with Vietnam, but will with Afghanistan or Iraq, so that doesn't bother me either.
As for the Armor, I can handle minor changes, but if he comes on screen looking like something from Gundam is a problem.

TheVileOne said:
Once again, this is an origin story for Iron Man. The alcoholism is an entirely separate issue that would bog down the origin story.

It's an important part of his character, but it's not crucial to an origin story/movie.
Agreed.

str8raz0r said:

I just don't wanna see that manga-looking monstrosity he wears in Ultimates.

Chris Wallace said:

I don't think anyone wants that. I wouldn't mind a "sleeker" armor, but there's a line to be drawn.

Chris Wallace said:
neither do i

But they do have to make the armor look like robot armor, make it sort of obvious to the non comic book readers that this guy is in a robotic suit of armor. Maybe even make it so that the audaince can tell in a quick commercial.
Not that I want the Ultimate Iron Man armor either, I'm just staying to non comic book readers his armor might not read as robotic armor at a glance.

as long as he doesn't look like a weak apology for MASTER CHIEF

I dont see what the fuss is about I mean do remember we were origonly going to get a father son story

that storyline was scrapped as being too clost to ang lee's HULK

3dman27 said:
that storyline was scrapped as being too clost to ang lee's HULK

I no that but what we have now seems great but people are still moaning

I'm not saying there is anything wrong, or that there will be.
I'm not even complaining. I think the movie will be great.
I'm asking what would you be OK with them changing if they did change things for the movie?
Like when they changed Spider-Man's web shooters to organic, or when they changed the X-Men's costumes.
What changes would you not mind?

Well for one (and this isn't even much) I wouldn't mind if the armor was less sleak. I mean sometimes that thing just looks damn uncomfortable in the comics and I'm thinking "how does he bend his knees without snapping them?". The sleak, fake muscles look would have to go...Actually I'm a big fan of this version.
ironman.jpg

It actually lookslike a SUIT and not just something he transforms into magically.

I can't wait to see what Favreau's suit will look like. This is bigger for me than the very first pictures of Spidey and Hulk. :D

I think it's okay for them to downplay (or save for future films) the alcoholism angle IF and ONLY IF they play up the fact that the dude is a heartbeat away from death.

EDIT:
Oh, and if they make the suit pretty much invincible (as Brian Bendis an others at Marvel have done recently), there's really no need to make the movie. The suit needs to have flaws. It shouldn't be able to be Tony's deus ex machina every time.

if they save his booze problem till later it will show the toll of playing the hero it takes on him

ROB said:
if they save his booze problem till later it will show the toll of playing the hero it takes on him

thats a good point, to use the alcoholism in the first movie would take away from the tragic situation that Stark finds himself in as the pressure of being Iron Man, running the largest company in Marvel and his health begins to take its toll on him and he turns to alcohol to escape those pressure, something the audience needs to feel for him in the second movie.

Tony's alcoholism is irrelevant for the first movie. You know this is going to be a hit and will end up being another franchise so there's no need to throw it in our faces right away, let it build up.

His suit should look robotic, but not like a manga style mecha, it should still have that human look too it. But it shouldn't look like clothes he puts on. I could never figure out how he fits it into a suitcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"