Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by The Overlord, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

As an Asian dude, I don't mind The Mandarian if it's handled well.

For example, I love David Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China. What made that character work was the writing, and also due to what the story is dealing with (Asian Mythology) you saw Asians of all types, good and bad. You saw them as people.

So if Iron Man 3 had Mandarin was THE villain, and he's the ONLY Asian dude in the movie, sure, that could be threading water.

Might I note, and I might be paint in broad strokes, Asians tend to be the passive of the ethnic groups. Hispanics/Latins and Blacks are very vocal when it comes stereotypes in the media, but Asian tend to be quiet. It could be a cultural thing, but it's something I've noticed.

2. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

As an Asian dude, I don't mind The Mandarian if it's handled well.

For example, I love David Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China. What made that character work was the writing, and also due to what the story is dealing with (Asian Mythology) you saw Asians of all types, good and bad. You saw them as people.

So if Iron Man 3 had Mandarin was THE villain, and he's the ONLY Asian dude in the movie, sure, that could be threading water.

Might I note, and I might be paint in broad strokes, Asians tend to be the passive of the ethnic groups. Hispanics/Latins and Blacks are very vocal when it comes stereotypes in the media, but Asian tend to be quiet. It could be a cultural thing, but it's something I've noticed.

3. The Morningstar

The Morningstar Well-Known Member

It's very simple, read the Knauf's Iron Man run. In particular "Haunted". It has Mandarin as the villain, and he's awesome and not a racist Asian caricature at all.

It'd be a perfect way to adapt him for a movie. He's kinda like the Asian version of Tony Stark, but obviously with a different philosophy. Ironically you could compare it to Sherlock/Moriarty.

4. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

If they use Mandarin I hope they stick to his original origin of being the son of a wealthy Chinese buisness man and English aristocrat instead of Fractions origin of Mandarin being the son of a opium den prostitute.

Instead of taking his rings from alien dragon ship Axonn-Karr they could have Mandarin take it from the serpent thing from The Avengers movie. One of his Ten Rings agents could take it from the wreckage after the Avengers defeat it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  5. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

It doesn't really matter who Mandarin gets his rings from (ie whether it's Axonn Karr or another name). It will still be the same idea. Iron Man 1 had Yinsen as Middle Eastern instead of Asian. It still had the same gist.

6. Shadowlord X

Shadowlord X Well-Known Member

Big trouble in little China is a great movie.

7. babykhris

babykhris Well-Known Member

If The Mandarin isn't the villian I got the perfect solution....MODOK

AIM could be a splinter cell of HYDRA and before Iron Man and War Machine (It's obvious he'll be in the film) he could face smaller threats like Blizzard, Ghost and Living Laser.

I would want to see whoever is playing Jessica Jones in AKA Jessica Jones have a cameo to set up that show.

8. Shadowlord X

Shadowlord X Well-Known Member

I would prefer to see MODOK in a CAPTAIN AMERICA sequel. He's a difficult character to do properly IMO and not come off as cheesy; he may also be difficult to get accepted because of GL with Hector. He's a bit too out there for an IRON MAN sequel which has so far been a relatively grounded franchise. CAP has already had one out there villain in the RED SKULL so I think it makes sense to keep the such villains in that franchise IMO. Also he plays off CAP nicely as a lab experiment for a powerful mind vs body.

9. MarvelKnight

MarvelKnight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd be all for Mandarin in IM3 unless they surprise us with Fin Fang Foom.

MODOK for Cap.

10. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Personally, I think Fin Fang Foom is more offensive than Mandarin just by his stupid dated name.

11. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I don't know. I've actually come across Asian people with a very similar-sounding name (but something else instead of the Foom bit) and it instantly made me think of Fin Fang Foom. I'm sure they wouldn't say their own name is dated or offensive.

12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I think Mandarin would be best choice. We have been teased about his existence, so it is time to show us. It would be the best way to cap off Iron Man's trilogy, since we have no idea if IM4 will be made or not. At least with RDJ. I think having Fin Fang Foom is a meh idea, personally. I think using characters like Mandarin, Ghost, or even Madame Masque and Spymaster would work much better than the dragon would for Iron Man's movies. Even MODOK would work better.

13. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I have to disagree. Maybe not offensive but kinda cheesy. At least those Asian people's names are authentic. Unless they're named 'Ching Chan Poop' then I would. be embarrassed for them! ;)

The problem is that Fin Fang Foom sounds like a vaudeville spoof of an Asian name. I think his concept is kinda cool but he reeks of cheese. The purple pants don't help either; lightning doesn't strike twice in one spot says the Hulk!

14. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I'm not an expert on Foom, but couldn't there be a way to side-step the name issue somehow? I mean many Marvel comic characters accumulate a few aliases over time, does he have any? Also they could just forgo naming him at all in the movie (I don't think it's the first time something like that would have happened either), they could just use certain descriptions of him or call him the Makluan etc.

15. Franklin Richards

Franklin Richards Well-Known Member

Gotta turn the Mandarin into a Chinese Sorcerer and make him the bad guy.

:stark: :stark: :stark:

16. Poni_Boy

Poni_Boy Well-Known Member

Yep, agreed. Mandarin as the central villain utilizing Ghost, Madam Masque and other secondary rogues would make me very happy

17. Beikoku Taichou

Beikoku Taichou Active Member

The villain of Iron Man 3 should be the Mandarin and
    booze