Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. What would you have done differently?

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
We've got a few more episodes left so I understand if you want to wait it out, but if you're anything like me you'll admit the show ain't perfect.

(Now I know many will jump down my throat to defend the show, but just realize that this is for the sake of conversation only.)

So you have $10k, a time machine, and the Whedon brothers owe you a favor. What would you do differently??

I'll go first:
- First I would have made the season a few episodes shorter. Probably a total of around 18 episodes. Focus in on those fewer episodes. Little to no filler content, the cameos stick out more prominently and you can delve into the real story.

- I would have avoided all "super of the week" type characters. Completely forgettable and always non-threatening. These are what make the show no better than Arrow, Smallville and Supernatural. So far imo this includes at least:
1. Donnie Gill
2. Chan Ho Yin
3. Tobias Ford
4. Dr. Elliot Randolph (who in no way even seemed like an Asgardian)
5. Marcus Daniels

- And if they are going to use a cool character rivalry like Lorelei vs Sif build it up over a couple episode arc rather than just throwing her away after 45 minutes.

- Name the Clairvoyant as Zola. It would've made so much more sense and fit very well with the film. Also, wasn't he supposed to be British? I love Paxton as Garrett and as a villain, but why did he have to conveniently be the most intelligent primary villain on the show? Didn't fit well to me.

- And for that matter have Captain America's speech on the show. Why on Earth wouldn't they have listened to it? *sigh* missed opportunity.

- This one is a little far out there, but the anonymous red masked people were also a missed opportunity imo. Cool aesthetic, stupid concept. I think they shouldve been the Rising Tide. The MCU's version of Anonymous.

- The Item 47 characters (the bank robbers) Benjamin "Benny" Pollack and his girl friend Claire Wise should have been series regulars. They are solid actors and entertaining enough to join the ranks of Coulson's team.

- More Sitwell (again, series regular) [BLACKOUT]until his untimely demise that is.[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
- And for that matter have Captain America's speech on the show. Why on Earth wouldn't they have listened to it? *sigh* missed opportunity.

That would have been a great idea but wouldn't it have given away too much of a film that is still in theatres??? I know they spoiled a lot just four days in to domestic release but that may have been too much. Plus, wouldn't they have to compensate Chris Evans?

They really should have had Coulson at least inquire about Cap. All Coulson heard from Hand was Cap took down the helicarriers but nothing else was known. Being a big fan that was there when Cap was thawing, it would have made sense to see that on screen.

There really isn't much I'd change. The build up during early episodes was slow but needed. Much like a slow boil, they needed character depth and an intro to the universe before they could start cooking. The past four episodes have been absolutely superb.

If possible, I would have made the season a few episodes LONGER. The only real problem was the new release lag. Yes, the Olympics came in to play but all that time off really hurt the momentum of the show. I'd go back in time and warn them about that.

That would have been a great idea but wouldn't it have given away too much of a film that is still in theatres??? I know they spoiled a lot just four days in to domestic release but that may have been too much. Plus, wouldn't they have to compensate Chris Evans?

They really should have had Coulson at least inquire about Cap. All Coulson heard from Hand was Cap took down the helicarriers but nothing else was known. Being a big fan that was there when Cap was thawing, it would have made sense to see that on screen.

There really isn't much I'd change. The build up during early episodes was slow but needed. Much like a slow boil, they needed character depth and an intro to the universe before they could start cooking. The past four episodes have been absolutely superb.

Well yeah, probably wouldve had to compensate Evans and Toby Jones. Pay them with the budget from the four episodes I removed. :p

If possible, I would have made the season a few episodes LONGER. The only real problem was the new release lag. Yes, the Olympics came in to play but all that time off really hurt the momentum of the show. I'd go back in time and warn them about that.

I agree. I think what the show really needed were arcs or "to be continued" type episodes. There's absolutely no way to get attached to or truly hate a villain in just one episode. Not in my opinion.

We've got a few more episodes left so I understand if you want to wait it out, but if you're anything like me you'll admit the show ain't perfect.

(Now I know many will jump down my throat to defend the show, but just realize that this is for the sake of conversation only.)

So you have $10k, a time machine, and the Whedon brothers owe you a favor. What would you do differently??

I'll go first:
- First I would have made the season a few episodes shorter. Probably a total of around 18 episodes. Focus in on those fewer episodes. Little to no filler content, the cameos stick out more prominently and you can delve into the real story.

- I would have avoided all "super of the week" type characters. Completely forgettable and always non-threatening. These are what make the show no better than Arrow, Smallville and Supernatural. So far imo this includes at least:
1. Donnie Gill
2. Tobias Ford
3. Dr. Elliot Randolph (who in no way even seemed like an Asgardian)
4. Marcus Daniels

you would have lost me, then. I gave up on the show after the first two episodes. I didn't become re-interested until they surprised me by adapting Donnie Gill. Victoria Hand also helped a bunch. none of the original cast really interested me. but now I, at least, have Triplett to follow.

otherwise, I'm still rooting for an Eric O'Grady cameo.

Last edited:
Villains-of-the week and frequent name MCU drops are two things I was expecting and looking forward to last summer. But I found that both were more annoying than entertaining.

My big change would have to be with Skye. Chloe Bennett is terrific looking, multi-ethnic and a fine actress. She is an asset to the ensemble, but setting her up as the star in the early going created a backlash against the character that Skye is only now recovering from.

Don't keep talking about what an awesome "hacker" she is. Show us she belongs on the team. Don't have her sleep with her ex while on an assignment. And don't have Coulson continually telling us how "special" she is. Show us, and let the audience decide.

you would have lost me, then. I gave up on the show after the first two episodes. I didn't become re-interested until they surprised me by adapting Donnie Gill. Victoria Hand also helped a bunch. none of the original cast really interested me. but now I, at least, have Triplett to follow.

otherwise, I'm still rooting for an Eric O'Grady cameo.

Gill wasn't the worst of the bunch I'll give you that. He's much like Franklin Hall in that:
A. I know he'll be back.
and
B. He actually had an origin.

Both solid positives.

But Dethklok was done so well. Even though he's the opposite of comic book accurate, he was given sympathy, purpose, development, extended origin, a lot to do and he was pretty freaky. I definitely would've kept him in.

I'd change nothing. The show is perfectly done in my eyes. I wouldn't want to change something that I've enjoyed :)

I'd take that 10k and bank it, have the Wheden bro's put me in A:AOU, and keep the time machine in the corner of my living room and keep drinks on it.

I'd change nothing. The show is perfectly done in my eyes. I wouldn't want to change something that I've enjoyed :)

I'd take that 10k and bank it, have the Wheden bro's put me in A:AOU, and keep the time machine in the corner of my living room and keep drinks on it.

Nice idea.. I'll do the same with you, only I will go further to 1980 and invest my money on Apple. :D
smile.gif

Start the series in December so we got half the season on the Uprising story. Feels like we could have spent a whole season dealing with Hydra rather than "Centipede"

I would have preferred that Agent Sitwell not have been developed into a Hydra traitor for CA:TWS and would have had him become a bigger part of the AOS. It still seems like a huge waste of a fan favorite character to me for the long term.

I would have preferred that Agent Sitwell not have been developed into a Hydra traitor for CA:TWS and would have had him become a bigger part of the AOS. It still seems like a huge waste of a fan favorite character to me for the long term.

No it was good, because you needed someone you'd seen before to be a Hydra traitor otherwise there would have been less impact.

No it was good, because you needed someone you'd seen before to be a Hydra traitor otherwise there would have been less impact.

Yes I agree, it was a great plot device in the movie! But it's had zero impact for the show (as far as I can recall) except for after the: well Coulson ya got me, I'm the Clairvoyant, after that there was the one line by Garrett about "boys I know Agent Sitwell filled your ranks..you know what to do" or something close to that.

That's why I feel that they wasted Sitwell (no pun intended) for the long haul, especially after they used him in "Item 47".

Last edited:
- More Agent Blake
- Season consists of 20 episodes divided into 2 parts. One big hiatus, no breaks otherwise (like The Walking Dead)
- An episode with those 2 characters from Item 47
- Other side of May's phone call to appear in TWS
- Some flashbacks for characters other than Coulson and Ward

- More Agent Blake
- Season consists of 20 episodes divided into 2 parts. One big hiatus, no breaks otherwise (like The Walking Dead)
- An episode with those 2 characters from Item 47
- Other side of May's phone call to appear in TWS
- Some flashbacks for characters other than Coulson and Ward

The Item 47 SHIELD consultant recruit characters (the bank robbers) were Benjamin "Benny" Pollack and his girl friend Claire Wise. It would be fun to bring those two back with Blake in AOS Season 2. :yay:

The Item 47 SHIELD consultant recruit characters (the bank robbers) were Benjamin "Benny" Pollack and his girl friend Claire Wise. It would be fun to bring those two back with Blake in AOS Season 2. :yay:

Seeing as they were hired by Sitwell, I think we have to assume they were working on Hydra weapons projects

Seeing as they were hired by Sitwell, I think we have to assume they were working on Hydra weapons projects

Maybe ... I guess a part of that might be exactly where Blake will ultimately fall on the loyalty map.

Created a show of 13 episodes managing better the budget, self episodes all uprising.
Better directors (as Masiano that, for now, is the better one), better photography (like the house of card's ones) more external sequences (did you noticed that? the most of the episodes are in closed spaces) less "fist half skye" more "second half skye"
More agents in the team, better choreographers for the action sequences

Maybe ... I guess a part of that might be exactly where Blake will ultimately fall on the loyalty map.

Blake got his chest caved in by Deathlok. I'd wager good money he's SHIELD/Fury loyal

I'll say what I usually say:Add Cobie as Hill & Mark Valley as Agent Quartermain for series regulars/recurring members and I couldn't ask for more.:woot:

^^Amy Johnston as Mockingbird!!!

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR5-NKFYB9Q[/YT]

I admit I was hoping that the team would be in the building (down in the lower levels, perhaps) when Cap gave his speech, and hear it. The entire SHIELD/Hydra split was already known in the show so the speech wouldn't have given anything new away.

As for the rights/compensation issue, there's probably a reason we rarely see movie scenes/dialogue on TV shows and vice-versa. Too much legal hassle to bother with, most likely.

The show has been fine. Maybe it's taken time for the actors to grow into their roles. Maybe having to play coy slowed them down. But I'm willing to bet those "filler" episodes have planted more seeds than what we've seen come to fruition so far.

If I could change anything? I would implant more patience and attention to detail in the fans and reviewers of the show.

Seriously.

I can't express how upset it makes me to read a negative review seeing the reviewer get the facts of the episode wrong, make mistakes in understanding the plot, and then putting the blame on the show when it was really their attention span and understanding at fault.

People have watched this show and piled on it for not being what they wanted it to be as fans. It had a game plan all along and it's starting to pay off now. Even so, people refuse to admit it and keep insisting that it's all a ret-con because they're upset now that the show runners had a longer view than they had.

Even minor quibbles like the shield logo being on their vehicles and all... Those types of things have an easy explanation.

In the MCU Shield had two functions. There was the spy side which was necessitated by having to counter potential super threats developed by other countries (don't forget, we don't get to see it, but Shield grew up during the Cold War).

But there's also the law-enforcement side which probably started being emphasized more after the events of Avengers. Shield "came out" as THE agency to defend the world against super powered and alien threats. In which case yes, they wanted to advertise their presence when operating in that capacity.

If anything the events of the movie and recent episodes may force them to go back underground and operating in the shadows as they've lost their credibility (at least in the short term) as a police force.

I can't express how upset it makes me to read a negative review seeing the reviewer get the facts of the episode wrong, make mistakes in understanding the plot, and then putting the blame on the show when it was really their attention span and understanding at fault.

Welcome to the internet :oldrazz:

1. Donnie Gill
2. Tobias Ford
3. Dr. Elliot Randolph (who in no way even seemed like an Asgardian)
4. Marcus Daniels

Completely disagree with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"