whats Alan Moore saying about this movie?

Kebab gud

Sidekick
Reaction score
After all the noise around V for Vendetta, i must ask.. has Alan Moore read the screenplay? does he want his name on it? has he said anything at all about this movie?

Recently up over at a Comic Book Resources Lying In The Gutters article:

On removing his name from the "Watchmen" movie: Alan Moore - "If they go for some other novelty option like they did with V For Vendetta then I'm in for another year of excoriating them in every interview I do until they remove my name from it."

He won't have anything to do with the movie, nor will his name appear on the finished product and he'll accept no payment from the studio.

A Based on the Graphic Novel Illustrated by Dave Gibbons credit is the best we can hope for... again.

The Man just does NOT like Hollywood... especially when it's his work that's being "adapted".

its clear from that comment that he hasn't read the script..
and that he has yet to ask them to remove his name from it

I think it's safe to bet that he WON'T read the script; he just doesn't care. He's gone on record previously to state that he won't even go see the Watchmen movie... and I don't think it'll make his DVD wish list, either.

And I think the way it works is, they actually have to ask HIM if they can use his name... and I do believe Alan Moore would rather set his beard alight before agreeing to that.

That guy should take his head out of his ass. If I wrote a comicbook and it were to be made in a movie I sure as hell would go see it, and even be consultant. Why can't he be like Mignola of Miller.

Wait....

It's the beard. I'm sure it is the beard. It has taken over control. Tonight, we raid Moore's house. bring electric shavers and balaclava's.

Yeah I don't get his apathy toward Hollywood adaptations of his work. It's almost as if he doesn't care what half the planet feels about his work.

wait a minute. That actually could be considered a noble stance.

I seriously think he's just finding excuses at this point. I mean, he said that the V movie raped his work and the main reason he brought up was one line about something called "eggy in a basket." So honestly, at this point, I really don't give a f**k what he thinks. :o

That guy should take his head out of his ass. If I wrote a comicbook and it were to be made in a movie I sure as hell would go see it, and even be consultant. Why can't he be like Mignola of Miller.

Wait....

It's the beard. I'm sure it is the beard. It has taken over control. Tonight, we raid Moore's house. bring electric shavers and balaclava's.

I'll bring the Book of the Dead so that we can counter the beard's magical powers. :up:

Hmm. I think it was a little more than just 'eggy in the basket', if truth be told.

The complete and utter absence of anarchy, I think, is what probably narked him... :cwink:

Regardless of whether or not Alan Moore's books became masterpiece films or pieces of crap, Alan Moore has a reputation to upheld and a certain type of identity to upheld. He has been consistent with his anti-film identity which he probably think will make him live on after he is dead. He doesn't want to sell out his art. The books are his identity, not cinema. He's like J.D. Salinger - the cranky anti-everything loner. I mean, just look at him. He looks like Rob Zombie. Why would this type of emotional and physical identity choose to support the remaking (film version) of his art? That's his shtick, and there have been many artists like that. He wants to be known/famous through people reading his books, not by someone else's recreation on film.

For all we know, Alan Moore may be getting money from his adapted movies, but maybe he tells the producers to tell everyone that he doesn't get a cent and to totally remove his name/involvement from the movie. Because he has his shtick to upheld whether it's sincere or not.

I read on Wikipedia that he said that he has read Hayter's Draft.Apparently it said that it is the closest they will ever come to getting Watchmen done correctly.Then again it is Wikipedia.

yeah, he read hayters draft. but his general complaints towards adaptations of his work and hollywood in general are actually pretty warranted, thus far. i mean, league of extraordinary gentlemen was pretty bad. from hell was a pale reflection of the book and had little in common, other than the title. while v was enjoyable, they essentially did miss the point completely when they watered and dumbed it down and blatantly used it as a cheap vehicle attempting to criticise modern american politics. as for watchmen, it would seem he doesnt have any specific complaints thus far, other than the fact he feels it was a story that was written for the comic book format, and works best in said format, which essentially means a film version would be pointless.

I don't think the problem is that Moore doesn't like Hollywood; I'm pretty sure he has films that he cares for. But in my opinion the thing that bothers him is that he thinks Watchmen is something that was intended to be read, and films are intended to be watched. There's no problem with someone expressing their creativity through film, but I don't think he believes that Watchmen should be experienced any other way, which I would say is true for it and most other things. In a way, you must admit that there is no way a Watchmen film will be able to give you the effect that the graphic novel does.

Edit: Oh, wow, MotownMarvel. I wouldn't have posted this if I knew you were about to spit it out. Sorry for being redundant.

I don't think the problem is that Moore doesn't like Hollywood; I'm pretty sure he has films that he cares for

There is a whole global film industry OUTSIDE of LA-LA Land, US of A...

I remember reading a EW magazine a few years back about the saga of development hell that The Watchman has long experienced with interviews with both Moore, and Gibbons. And basically Moore's feelings on the subject is that his work should be experienced in the medium in which it was presented. Not a film. Not a mini series. But as a comic book. As that was the way he intended his work to be viewed. And of course this was after the big screen adaptations of some of his other work. Which obviously, he wasnt crazy about.

The biggest problem with V for Vendetta was that the producers lied and said Moore was happy with the film(or something like that) when he said nothing of the sort.

Then you have From Hell, what I believe is Moore's best work, a book that goes beyond a whodunit, being made into the stereotypical Jack The Ripper movie. Even though they're separate entities, the movies do reflect on Moore's novels.

I don't think the problem is that Moore doesn't like Hollywood; I'm pretty sure he has films that he cares for. But in my opinion the thing that bothers him is that he thinks Watchmen is something that was intended to be read, and films are intended to be watched. There's no problem with someone expressing their creativity through film, but I don't think he believes that Watchmen should be experienced any other way, which I would say is true for it and most other things. In a way, you must admit that there is no way a Watchmen film will be able to give you the effect that the graphic novel does.

Exactly. Alan Moore feels that his brilliant graphic novel does not need to be changed into another medium just so it will have a larger audience and make more money.

WATCHMEN is a graphic novel and needs no "upgrade" into a film. Moore believes that his art belongs only in the comic book medium. And he's right.

i was just wondering, if he is so against having his work adapted into films then why did he agree to sell the movie rights to the studios?

He seems like a "comic-book-should-remain-a-comic-book" guy, but didn't he give his support to a Justice League episode adapted from one of his comics?

Nobody's perfect I guess, and he's had to learn the hard way.

As far as V for Vendetta and Watchmen (and the For The Man Who Has Everything Superman one-off that made it to the JLU animated show), Moore doesn't own the rights... DC do, and always have. It's a long, sorry story...

And since DC Comics and Warner Bros Studios are all part 'n' parcel of the mighty Time Warner Mega Globalcorp, well...

the biggest problem will be that the actor who played rorshach will want his name every where and ruin the mask off scene.

Hmm. Even if they see the name linked to the character beforehand, how many folks can actually put a face to Jackie Earle Haley? (for it is indeed he.)
In any event, the HOMELESS MAN character only appears in one scene before the mask comes off anyway - arguing with NEWS VENDOR over the non-arrival of his New Frontiersman whilst wearing his F UCK COMMUNISM t-shirt.

that guy is every where before the mask comes off.hes at comedians funeral.you see him walking around within the first few panels at the comedians street smere.

Yeah, in the comic you do. Carrying his THE END IS NIGH placard.

This here's a discussion of the up 'n' coming movie though, when he'll be wearing a F UCK COMMUNISM t-shirt in his one single appearance before Rorschach is unmasked & we find out his name is Walter Kovacs.

Wait....

i think thats totally wrong, there have been consistently bad movies made of alan moores graphic novel, from V for Vendetta to the absolute crap of League of Extraordinary gentlemen, Moore is just trying to save himself the embarassment of a poor quality movie with his name on it but i feel if he sees the movie and it is good (which i am still 50-50 on) he may agree to have his name put on it, so before you go around bashing one of the greatest writers of all time put some thought into what you are going to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"