Whats the biggest mitake Microsoft did with the X-Box 360?

el sensei

Civilian
Reaction score
I believe that the biggest mistake they did was to allow some of their pillar games like halo and oblivion go to the pc market. because you never see zelda or metroid or devil may cry or resident evil or metal gear solid on the computers. And that makes buyers that have pcs which are a lot say hey i got a pc so i can play all the important x-box games on my pc so ill go for the Wii or the PS3:eek:

It works both ways. FEAR is coming to the 360 and it was on the PC first. Plus, for casual gamers it's cheaper to buy a 360 to play Oblivion than pimp out their PC so it can handle the game.

I gotta say, this wii thing looks the coolest.

el sensei said:
I believe that the biggest mistake they did was to allow some of their pillar games like halo and oblivion go to the pc market.
You do know that Halo was originaly being made for the PC, right?
And that the Elder Scrolls franchise is, above all a PC franchise, right?
Meaning that The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall are PC games, so, i don´t get where you got the Oblivion is an 360 pillar game.
So, Oblivion was always meant to be an 360/PC game.

The biggest mistake Microsoft did with the 360 was not having a decent backward compability like the PS2 and PS3.

Isildur´s Heir said:
You do know that Halo was originaly being made for the PC, right?
And that the Elder Scrolls franchise is, above all a PC franchise, right?
Meaning that The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall are PC games, so, i don´t get where you got the Oblivion is an 360 pillar game.
So, Oblivion was always meant to be an 360/PC game.

The biggest mistake Microsoft did with the 360 was not having a decent backward compability like the PS2 and PS3.

I'd say either that or not having more systems at launch (at least in North America and Europe)

The biggest mistake? There hasn't been one.

The whole "system bugs" on the first few waves arn't the worst thing in the world. It didn't stop people from buying it, and they fixed it.

The processor power and graphical power on it are amazing. They released it at a decent time, in time to have the next system about a year ahead of the next Playstation. The backwards compatibility is nothing big. People that have a PS2 more than likely still have a PS1. Same thing with an xbox. I mean, if you only have an x360, why would you bother buying original xbox games, expecially with the original xbox being only what...130$ right now?

The live system and the arcade downloads are top notch. Sure theres a few problems with it, but nothing is perfect. I honestly can't see one mistake that Microsoft has done with the 360.

My ONE gripe with the 360 is that I can't seem to get Halo 2 to work on live. But I'm sure theres a reason for that, I just havn't looked into it yet.

The blowing up part is a pain...they made it to early. Price to high and it breaks easy.

kytrigger said:
I'd say either that or not having more systems at launch (at least in North America and Europe)

That was due to their main flaw so far with the 360: a worldwide release. They were tremondously overwhelmed with orders. There was and still is plenty of demand, but very little supply.

1) World wide launch. They sold out in places that actually wanted it, so boxes could sit in Japan's stores untouched.

2) No long term plan. Oblivion aside, no decent games have come out since launch (DOA doesn't count as it came out a week after launch). And Oblivion was originally schedueled for launch, so assuming that happened, there would be nothing for 360, going on 8 months. Thats one thing you gotta give Nintendo credit for...they are spreading out their releases...Smash Bros six months after launch, then third party and other games will pick up from there.

Matt said:
1) World wide launch. They sold out in places that actually wanted it, so boxes could sit in Japan's stores untouched.

Maybe this has taught Microsoft to just simply give up on the Japanese market by the time the Xbox 720 comes out.

2) No long term plan. Oblivion aside, no decent games have come out since launch (DOA doesn't count as it came out a week after launch). And Oblivion was originally schedueled for launch, so assuming that happened, there would be nothing for 360, going on 8 months. Thats one thing you gotta give Nintendo credit for...they are spreading out their releases...Smash Bros six months after launch, then third party and other games will pick up from there.

3. Psuedo backwards compatability. You can't play all your old Xbox games. That just sucks ass.

4. Generic launch line-up. Perfect Dark Zero was decent, but nowhere near its predecessor. Kameo: Elements of Power sucked. Project Gotham Racing 3 was a good racing game, but since when is a racing game a system seller. EA didn't even try with their EA Sports games. Call of Duty 2 can be purchased for the PC

That's pretty much it

Biggest mistake I would say is not making the HDD be standard. I wouldn't necessarily say using old-fashion DVD was a mistake though, since it would have been an even bigger mistake to use HD-DVD and then 3 years later the format goes belly up. The "optional" HDD was a really bad move though.

el sensei said:
I believe that the biggest mistake they did was to allow some of their pillar games like halo and oblivion go to the pc market. because you never see zelda or metroid or devil may cry or resident evil or metal gear solid on the computers. And that makes buyers that have pcs which are a lot say hey i got a pc so i can play all the important x-box games on my pc so ill go for the Wii or the PS3:eek:

MGS is on PC.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/metalgearsolid/index.html

HALO was a PC game to start with before it went XBOX exclusive.

OBLIVION is a port of a PC game.

Only a handfull of Xbox titles make it to PC. No nintendo games are on PC because its Nintendo.

el sensei said:

Resident Evils 1-3 are on pc

Matt said:

Smash Bros is due out Early 07. They said Super Mario Galaxy would be out withing 6 months of launch. The new WarioWare is also due out later in the Wii's run.

All the reasons have been said.

1) Poor supply at launch
2) No good games after launch
3) Bad backwards compatibility
4) Overall weak launch line-up

They'd have done better waiting for this year and launch with Halo 3 and Oblivion.

Matt said:

THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER ; YOU'VE CONTRADICTED YOURSELF WITH A DOUBLE-STANDARD. IF "SPREADING OUT THEIR RELEASES" IS A GOOD THING FOR 'NINTENDO', WHY THE HELL WOULD IT BE A BAD THING FOR THE '360'? :rolleyes:
BESIDES, THE '360' HAS HAD WHAT IS UNIVERSALLY REGARDED AS THE STRONGEST CONSOLE LAUNCH SOFTWARE LINEUP IN HISTORY; JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T CARE FOR SOME OF THE GAMES, DOESN'T DISCOUNT THAT FACT.

SpideyNut said:
THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER ; YOU'VE CONTRADICTED YOURSELF WITH A DOUBLE-STANDARD. IF "SPREADING OUT THEIR RELEASES" IS A GOOD THING FOR 'NINTENDO', WHY THE HELL WOULD IT BE A BAD THING FOR THE '360'? :rolleyes:
BESIDES, THE '360' HAS HAD WHAT IS UNIVERSALLY REGARDED AS THE STRONGEST CONSOLE LAUNCH SOFTWARE LINEUP IN HISTORY; JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T CARE FOR SOME OF THE GAMES, DOESN'T DISCOUNT THAT FACT.

1. He didn't contradict himself, you are reading it wrong.
2. SAYING THINGS IN ALL CAPS JUST MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT.

ampersand said:
1. He didn't contradict himself, you are reading it wrong.
2. SAYING THINGS IN ALL CAPS JUST MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT.

1.) YES, HE DID.......BUY A DICTIONARY, AND LEARN TO USE IT.

2.) I'LL GIVE TO 2 GUESSES WHO I REALLY AM, AND WHY YOU SHOULDN'T THINK I'D GIVE A RAT'S ASS WHAT YOU THINK. :o

SpideyNut said:
1.) YES, HE DID.......BUY A DICTIONARY, AND LEARN TO USE IT.

2.) I'LL GIVE TO 2 GUESSES WHO I REALLY AM, AND WHY YOU SHOULDN'T THINK I'D GIVE A RAT'S ASS WHAT YOU THINK. :o

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"