• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

whats with Marvel's movie scores?

Venomfan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Marvel seems to give up on character theme music. Thor and Captain America both had great themes for their characters yet those completely disappeared in the sequels (caps was briefly sampled). I feel Patrick Doyle's Thor theme is up there with Williams Superman, and Elfmans Batman and Spider-man and I couldn't believe they got rid of it. I feel keeping a unifying theme for the characters would go a long way, thats how themes become iconic. An Avengers where each character gets their theme sampled as they do something cool would be awesome too

I don't know but I've often wondered.

Perhaps they think if a film score becomes too iconic then people will get too used to it and then get bored of the characters

I don't know but I've often wondered.

Perhaps they think if a film score becomes too iconic then people will get too used to it and then get bored of the characters
When has this happened before?

When has this happened before?

Not sure but I guess the superman franchise kind of stalled a bit when they kept using the John Williams score and even James Bond has relied less on his iconic score. I'm not sure but maybe marvel has looked at a lot of research data and hypnosis we that iconic scores aren't good for a characters long term use.

I disagree of course

The scene where Thor gets his power back and the score is playing is just pure awesome. They should have kept it. It had a noble, grand feeling to it, perfect for the character.

I think the days of audibly distinct composers are gone and thus any attempts at creating iconic scores are also gone. The only music I remember from the Marvel movies is AC/DC.

Before I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier I got hold of the soundtracks to Captain America : The First Avenger and The Avengers, slapped 'em in a random playlist and read all of Ed Brubaker's Captain America and Winter Soldier arcs.

Try it ;)

Even I tried what shoppy said its looks really cool and I got something cool. Also I love sound track of all marvel comics movies. Those are simply awesome!

I disagree that Film Scores are a dead art. When it comes down to it, the people who complain that this or that score wasn't memorable seemingly(or simply)want a typical fanfare like the theme to Batman '89 or Donner's Superman. To me that's not much different than people who primarily listen to pop on the radio because it's catchy.

They don't seem to keep their ears open to truly listen to what other composers have created, subtleties and all. It's become so ridiculous that I was baffled when some fanboys were saying that the Avengers them wasn't memorable. That theme is pretty much another catchy fanfare as the other two I mentioned and it was blaring during one of the coolest scenes in the movie when the camera circles around the entire group.

Thor's was so out of place. So light, and fluffy, and airy and silly.

I guess its just because I am a metal fan, but I expected something so much different when it comes to norse god action. Just, something harder nonetheless.

(BTW Age of Ultron has a different composer too so might as well throw any memorable themes out the window)

Yeah Brian Tyler didn't score the previous Avengers movie, however he did score two MCU movies (IM3 and T:TDW) prior to A:AOU. So he isn't relatively new to the MCU movies. And even though he ignored Doyle's themes from the first Thor movie he did however adapt Silvestri's Cap. theme to compliment his cameo in TDW. There's still a possibility he could adapt Silvestri's Avengers theme for the sequel as well as his own IM and Thor themes.

Yeah. I get the complaints as well. I adored Alan Silvestri's theme for Captain America: The First Avenger, as well as Patrick Doyle's score for Thor. It saddens me that they couldn't keep the character themes for the sequels. Though truth be told, I thought Henry Jackman's score for The Winter Soldier was phenomenal, and while Bryan Tyler's score for The Dark World lacks the subtle and emotional beats of Doyle's score, the main theme is badass.

Perhaps the change in musical scores is in keeping with Marvel Studio's policy of bringing in new directors for each of their films? So as not to keep their output stale?

At least in Winter Soldier they did reuse Silvestri's CA motif briefly at the very beginning. That was a nice nod.

Marvel themes have definitely been a very weak point for me (DC hasn't been much better lately either)

I appreciate the subtleties of scoring the films, and I think they've done a good job of providing background and extra emotion to certain scenes. I don't have any issues at all with the Marvel SCORES, just the themes.

The two memorable themes I think of in Marvel so far are the Cap:TFA and Avengers themes... and honestly , I don't actually like either. They're both so bombastic and over-the-top and unfortunately come across as just cheesy to me.

For my money, the X-Men theme was the best one of the year, and that goes back over ten years to the first x-films!

What I'd love, is for the scoring that Tyler or Jackman have done, plus a Williams/Elfman level theme song. I want something people will want to hum and will immediately recognize, but I don't want it to overpower the whole film. Something halfway between Indiana Jones and The Dark Knight, ya know??

The whole film shouldn't be bathed in symbol crashes and triumphantly blaring horns, but I would love to once again get pumped up during the opening credits like I do every time I watch Batman '89.

I loved the winter soldier theme. Plus I love the actual marvel logo theme tyler made. It actually gave me shivers when I saw guardians of the galaxy. I am such a pavlov's dog

For my money, the X-Men theme was the best one of the year, and that goes back over ten years to the first x-films!

Same here! Though it was only used for 2 films (x2 and DOFp).

I liked the iron man 3 score

I actually think Jackman's score for 'The Winter Soldier' has been the best Marvel score in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"