Where Are the Black Superhero Movies?

LetsHangBendis said:
As long as Tyler Perry makes bank, there will be no black super hero movies. Do what must be done.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I feel you. Hollywood will churn out more black casted films in this form. While I respect Tyler Perry the man writting skills is weak in a lot of places. He tries and he can get the comedy aspect down, but for the most part he needs some preofessional script writers to help in tighten up his films. then again is doesn't matter because Hollywood only sees money, but for Tyler Perry to have a long run in the film industry he's going to have to go other routes. It's only so long before madea wears thin.

MJB said:
I know Cage's history and that he was wrongly accused and convicted and what not, but the negative image was already put forth regardless if he's innocent or not. Not all black people are poor and come from the projects. This is sadly how a lot of mainstream america perceives blacks. Cage was created in the 70's with all the blackploitation films were taken Hollywood by storm. In someone else's hand other then Singleton's i'd be amped for a cage flick, but I know Singleton and the man can not get away from the hood tales and references. I just don't care for Singleton all that much as a director. I liked Boyz in Da Hood, but the rest of his movies were made up of hits and misses, mainly misses, but even the hits were just decent more so because they didn't suck as opposed to being great films.

But Cage is from the poorer sections of New York. Always has been. Why should a movie change that?

They forgot about Cloak in the upcoming "Cloak and Dagger." :o

The Question said:
But Cage is from the poorer sections of New York. Always has been. Why should a movie change that?

That's a good point. It's what makes Luke Cage what he is. It would seem rather bizarre if Luke Cage came from a wealthy background. Part of his edge that makes him who he is, is the fact that he grew up poor, and persevered despite his struggles.

MJB said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I feel you. Hollywood will churn out more black casted films in this form. While I respect Tyler Perry the man writting skills is weak in a lot of places. He tries and he can get the comedy aspect down, but for the most part he needs some preofessional script writers to help in tighten up his films. then again is doesn't matter because Hollywood only sees money, but for Tyler Perry to have a long run in the film industry he's going to have to go other routes. It's only so long before madea wears thin.

Perry's writing skills are fine. It's the Hollywood route that has diluted it. For a real taste of Perry's skills I suggest getting his actual plays and staying away from the movie forms of them. If you haven't seen it then you will be amazed at the difference between the play and movie Diary of a Mad Black Woman. And I refuse to see the Family Reunion one considering they actually put part of that in the first film. Leave it to some Hollywood exec to screw up a good thing. And yes, Tyler had to do it that way or else they wouldn't have been made.

Icon was one of my favorite comic series. I think Icon would make an awesome movie. Don't know as much about Black Panther, but I think that would be a good movie as well. A Bishop (X-Men) movie might be cool as well. Static would definitely have potential. As would a John Stewart Green Lantern movie. No more Spawn please.

But I think the best idea might be a movie adaptation of John Ridley's "Those Who Walk in Darkness." The main character, Soledad O'Roark is a black female Metahuman hunting cop in a world in which Metahumans have been outlawed and are hunted down. It has a comic book, "Days of Futures Past"/"Kingdom Come" vibe while having strong and diverse characters, and hard hitting action. The sequel "What Fire Cannot Burn" is also good. Put Rosario Dawson in the starring role and it could be a franchise.

Am I the only one who saw the blade trilogy then? I mean, isnt blade a black super hero??

:unishr:

I loved Bishop when i was younger, i'm just getting back into comics so i'll be honest when i say i dont know all of these characters, but Bishop would be great for a movie, from what i remember, or at least should have been put in the new X-Men movie.

Also, with the talk of black panther and luke cage films, arguably the 2 best black superheroes, next to storm of course, what else will make a Good movie.

They tried a lame-ass Steel movie with Shaq. we all know that didnt work.

Also if they were to make a green lantern movie, definetly black, IMO.

that all i have to say, like i said, i've been out of the loop for a good 7yrs and i dont know everything. just my opinions

D-day said:
Am I the only one who saw the blade trilogy then? I mean, isnt blade a black super hero??
No, you're the only one who failed to notice that Blade is the most talked about character in this thread. :confused:

MJB said:
I know Cage's history and that he was wrongly accused and convicted and what not, but the negative image was already put forth regardless if he's innocent or not. Not all black people are poor and come from the projects. This is sadly how a lot of mainstream america perceives blacks. Cage was created in the 70's with all the blackploitation films were taken Hollywood by storm. In someone else's hand other then Singleton's i'd be amped for a cage flick, but I know Singleton and the man can not get away from the hood tales and references. I just don't care for Singleton all that much as a director. I liked Boyz in Da Hood, but the rest of his movies were made up of hits and misses, mainly misses, but even the hits were just decent more so because they didn't suck as opposed to being great films.

People gotta stop raggin on Singleton. Dude put Ice Cube on the mainstream map and made a classic with 'Boyz in the Hood' then he produced and financed 'Hustle & Flow by himself.

Get off John.

The Question said:

Preach! Plus we got some clean cut black heroes now GreenLantern, Steel, Goliath (Who's getting alot of play lately.) We got a ways to go, but it's getting better.

DarKush said:
Icon was one of my favorite comic series. I think Icon would make an awesome movie. Don't know as much about Black Panther, but I think that would be a good movie as well. A Bishop (X-Men) movie might be cool as well. Static would definitely have potential. As would a John Stewart Green Lantern movie. No more Spawn please.

But I think the best idea might be a movie adaptation of John Ridley's "Those Who Walk in Darkness." The main character, Soledad O'Roark is a black female Metahuman hunting cop in a world in which Metahumans have been outlawed and are hunted down. It has a comic book, "Days of Futures Past"/"Kingdom Come" vibe while having strong and diverse characters, and hard hitting action. The sequel "What Fire Cannot Burn" is also good. Put Rosario Dawson in the starring role and it could be a franchise.

'Those who walk in Darkness' huh? I might have to look the up. :up:

deemar325 said:
People gotta stop raggin on Singleton. Dude put Ice Cube on the mainstream map and made a classic with 'Boyz in the Hood' then he produced and financed 'Hustle & Flow by himself.

Get off John.

I'm sure he'll do a great job with Cage, he sounds real dedicated to it along with Gibson who's going to work out like a mad man for the role. Also even wanting Diamondback as the possible villain for the film.

I want be losing faith in him just yet.

WarBlade said:
No, you're the only one who failed to notice that Blade is the most talked about character in this thread. :confused:

Really?! I thought it was luke cage! :o

:unishr:

Salemdog said:
Perry's writing skills are fine. It's the Hollywood route that has diluted it. For a real taste of Perry's skills I suggest getting his actual plays and staying away from the movie forms of them. If you haven't seen it then you will be amazed at the difference between the play and movie Diary of a Mad Black Woman. And I refuse to see the Family Reunion one considering they actually put part of that in the first film. Leave it to some Hollywood exec to screw up a good thing. And yes, Tyler had to do it that way or else they wouldn't have been made.

You do know that Tyler Perry only has to pay for distribution like Lucas. The man has power over his films. I don't know how much say and power the studio would have when Perry pays for the budget of the film itself. I forgot how much the last one was but this current one was budgeted at 6 million.

deemar325 said:

Get off John.

Oh please spare me the goodness of Singleton. As a black man I'm surprised he gets behind a lot of the stuff he does. Yeah Boyz in Da Hood was great. but Husstle and Flow? That movie was terriable. Singleton doesn't know what he wants to be. At first he did his hood films, then tried to do films along the lines of Spike Lee with movies that send a message about race. He sucked at that. Then he wants to venture into action or mainstream films and has done nothing to impress me. Look Singleton has had more misses then hits in my boof. Fast and Furious 2 was mediocre, and his latest 4 brothers was decent with crappy action. Shaft was a let down despite Jackson's best attempt to save. I just don't really care for the man as a director. I read his plan how he wants to do Luke Cage and I just cringed. Casting Tyrese as Cage is already showing that he's getting off to a bad start.

MJB said:
Oh please spare me the goodness of Singleton. As a black man I'm surprised he gets behind a lot of the stuff he does. Yeah Boyz in Da Hood was great. but Husstle and Flow? That movie was terriable. Singleton doesn't know what he wants to be. At first he did his hood films, then tried to do films along the lines of Spike Lee with movies that send a message about race. He sucked at that. Then he wants to venture into action or mainstream films and has done nothing to impress me. Look Singleton has had more misses then hits in my boof. Fast and Furious 2 was mediocre, and his latest 4 brothers was decent with crappy action. Shaft was a let down despite Jackson's best attempt to save. I just don't really care for the man as a director. I read his plan how he wants to do Luke Cage and I just cringed. Casting Tyrese as Cage is already showing that he's getting off to a bad start.

Well, what direction would you like Luke Cage to be taken in?

I'm just tickled that more and more, the press actually acknowledges Blade's impact on comic book movies, especially for Marvel, when a lot of fans used to argue with me saying more credit was due to X-Men.

But yeah, I'd think someone like Will Smith, or even Vin Diesel (being the comic/gaming geek that he admittedly is) would see about getting some of these movies made. Black Panther's been in development hell for too long, and I know a lot of filmmakers and actors I'd love to see involved. Actors like Eamon Walker, Djimon Hounsu, Idris Elba, Chiwetel Ejiofor, guys who are popping up more and more in mainstream films and television (Ejiofor was The Operative in Serenity). And while it wasn't very well-received, I think King Arthur was a good example of Antione Fuqua's ability to handle a large scale production (I think Eamon Walker was even in Fuqua's Tears of the Sun). And I'm sure enough guys who could finance the movie and just go to a major studio for distribution.

And I agree with whoever said a Static movie would be great. Unless they cast Bow Wow, or something!

Vin Diesel is very interested in playing Silver Surfer, he's said in the past that that was his favorite comic character growing up.

Will that covers comic book characters for the "silver" community! But what 'bout da brothers!! To say nothing of the black filmmakers and novelists now writing comics!! (of some of them weren't doing it already)

its certainly possible that Green Lantern will be a "black superhero" I don't know who owns th GL movie rights, but Its possible they may want John to be the film Lantern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"