Iron Man 2 Where does Iron Man 2 stand among other superhero sequels?

DACrowe

Avenger
Reaction score
First I am not trying to start a flame war. I know it is risky and playing with fire to do this...but I think we can have an intelligent discussion about IM2's place in the superhero genre and how it progresses or stands within the series.

If it does turn into a flame war, I hope the mods do close it. But let's try for it not to.

I personally enjoyed IM2, despite its flaws and consider it a solid sequel. I do not think it excelled the original though. I would rank it among second installments like this:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Returns
4. X2
5. Iron Man 2

It is certainly in the upper levels. What I liked is that it seems to be following a trend of Nolan in that it doesn't just want a repeat of the formula from the last film. There are consequences to what happened in the first film here. Tony being Iron Man put "blood in the water" and this film is about the sharks...in iron suits, corporations and even the government--coming out of the sea trying to eat Tony. And how it affects him is good.

I do think Favreau suffers from trying to keep Tony in an interesting arc for this second film and goes the route of making him his own worst enemy and his fame going to his head, kind of like Peter Parker in Spider-Man 3. I am glad though it is not a 2 that features the hero trying to quit being a superhero (Superman, Spidey and Nolan's Batman all did this). I think it sets up future sequels to branch out from the formula, but I think it, along with SM3, shows the pitfalls of overstuffing the sequel with a "kitchen sink" approach. Also, other than a nice trick at the end it was a superhero movie where the love interest was not a damsel. That is a win and I hope shows future superhero movies don't need a screaming girl hanging from some height like pretty much every Spidey, Batman and Superman film made to date. Good job.

For me its:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-man 2
3. Iron Man 2 (I had X-2 tied but decided to go for Iron Man 2)
4. Superman 2
5. X-2

I liked Iron Man 2, but it definitely doesn't rank among the best. Not when you have sequels like The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2. But if it makes you feel better - I think it's better than Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. :cwink:

Iron Man 2=Batman Returns

Quirky,charming but not great.

Iron Man 2=Batman Returns

Quirky,charming but not great.

A sequel that deserves more love. I mean, how can you not love this:

[YT]vhvF-VfZoCA[/YT]

I don't like Batman Returns. I love Catwoman in the film, but Tim Burton's directing and writing style just became too overbearing for me to enjoy the film. And this is coming from someone who likes Tim Burton.

I would say:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Superman 2
4. Iron Man 2
5. X2
6. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
7. Batman Returns

I guess we're comparing 1st sequels (ie Part 2) and not Part 3? Spider-Man 3 was near the bottom of the pile of sequels. I preferred X3 to Spider-Man 3 though. Superman 3 and 4 or Batman and Robin would also be scrapping the barrel.

Go figure. SM3 is above X3 and many sequels like FF2 and SR for me. It is flawed, but it is enjoyable. I honestly think IM2 has many of the same problems as SM3, it is just IM has such an awesome cast they pull it off better.

Go figure. SM3 is above X3 and many sequels like FF2 and SR for me. It is flawed, but it is enjoyable. I honestly think IM2 has many of the same problems as SM3, it is just IM has such an awesome cast they pull it off better.

I agree that it had the same problems but it was not also the cast. One key important difference was that silly, humorous scenes in Iron Man 2 were within character and didn't feel out of place compared to the stupidity of some scene in SM3.

I also prefer SM3 to X3 though.

1) Iron Man 2
2) tie between The Dark Knight & Spider-Man 2
3) X2
4) Blade 2

Last edited:
I think most would agree it's only below TDK and Spider-Man 2.

Overall a great superhero film but could of been much better.

1. TDK
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Iron Man 2
4. X2
(big space)
5. Batman Returns

Spider-man 2
TDK
Iron Man 2
X-men 2
Blade 2

1) Tie between Iron Man and The Dark Knight
2) Spider-Man 2
3) Iron Man2
4) X2
5) Spider-Man

Why are you listing Iron Man and Spider-Man in there? I thought this thread was just about how sequels stack up against one another, so we're ignoring the first films, since they aren't sequels.

Why are you listing Iron Man and Spider-Man in there? I thought this thread was just about how sequels stack up against one another, so we're ignoring the first films, since they aren't sequels.
sorry, your right, completely mis-read that, thanks for calling me on it :), I will fix it :im:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Returns
4. X2
5. Iron Man 2

1)The Dark Knight
2)Superman II -directors cut(Christopher Reeves)
3)X-Men 2
4)Spider-man 2
5)Iron Man 2

It will take one hell of a comic book sequel to knock Batman Returns of it's pedestal.I can only see the third Batman installment/Christopher Nolan will have to "bring it"..and I mean bring all of it. :cwink:

Last edited:
Movies like the Dark Knight, Spidey 2 and X-men 2 may be better movies...

But I'll end up watching Iron Man 2 a lot more than any of these films. It's simply more entertaining. Nuff said.

Batman Returns deserves to be on no "best of list" other than a best of characters who have black goo coming out of their mouth.

Any list that has Batman Returns on it is not a serious list IMO.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man 2
3. Spider-Man 2
4. X2
5. Batman Returns

I liked Iron Man 2 because it was more fun & true to the comics. The Spidey & X-Men franchises while have good movies (I only like the second movie in both series) are barely like their comic counterparts.

But I'll end up watching Iron Man 2 a lot more than any of these films. It's simply more entertaining. Nuff said.

This, even though I like Iron Man 2 more than X2 (which is also a great movie).

I probably agree with this statement most of all. This movie is like a Bond film, you can just pop it in and watch it any old time. To an extent Spider-man 2 is like that, however I hated the power loss thing, it didn't make much sense to me, but I love Doc Ock, and the movie has one of the all time great superhero/villian battles.

The Dark Knight to me is extremely hard to watch. The movie just takes itself way to seriously, and thus kills my enjoyment sittng through it, and Christian Bale's Batman voice makes me want to chuckle. I don't think that was the intent. It's too bad Michael Keaton couldn't have done these movies.

I probably agree with this statement most of all. This movie is like a Bond film, you can just pop it in and watch it any old time. To an extent Spider-man 2 is like that, however I hated the power loss thing, it didn't make much sense to me, but I love Doc Ock, and the movie has one of the all time great superhero/villian battles.

The Dark Knight to me is extremely hard to watch. The movie just takes itself way to seriously, and thus kills my enjoyment sittng through it, and Christian Bale's Batman voice makes me want to chuckle. I don't think that was the intent. It's too bad Michael Keaton couldn't have done these movies.

Well I would say that Batman is generally dark and serious, and The Dark Knight fitted that tone, given its subject matter. It is a good film, but you'd have to be in the mood to watch it. It's not easy viewing, I'll say that, and not the sort of thing you'd want to chill out to and relax. That's probably why, referencing that other Iron Man 2 Oscar thread, TDK is Oscar material, but you wouldn't necessarily want to watch an Oscar-winning/nominated film over and over again or for fun.

i, personally, loved iron man 2. i think it was one of the best, if not THE best, marvel sequels. (and i wasn't a big fan of dark knight, to be honest)

now i know this is not a spider-man forum, but i really don't get why spider-man 2 gets so much love. i really do find it to be a bit of a carbon copy to superman II where he wants to give up his powers to get the girl. that's essentially the story for spider-man 2. where the dark knight and even iron man 2 are different, at least they attempted to do creative things. even with x2. i'm a huge superman fan so i'm going to be biased about put that as number 1, so don't flame me too bad as i know it's not what most people would agree with and say that i'm crazy, but it's what i grew up with lol.

1. superman II
2. The Dark Knight
3. X2
4. Iron Man 2
5. Transformers 2: ok ok ok, i'm probably going to lose all credibility for this one but i'll explain. i'm a transformers fan and as bad as the film is, it had some cool optimus prime scenes and again, i'd have to go for originality. it wasn't really about giving up powers to get the girl.

i dont know, sorry for all the hate on spider-man, but i just feel that the most recent cartoon, spectacular spider-man was far superior than any of the movies. it had humor, charm, and action. it's what i would like to see in a live action movie for spider-man which i don't think we got in the raimi movies.

now i know this is not a spider-man forum, but i really don't get why spider-man 2 gets so much love. i really do find it to be a bit of a carbon copy to superman II where he wants to give up his powers to get the girl. that's essentially the story for spider-man 2. where the dark knight and even iron man 2 are different, at least they attempted to do creative things. even with x2. i'm a huge superman fan so i'm going to be biased about put that as number 1, so don't flame me too bad as i know it's not what most people would agree with and say that i'm crazy, but it's what i grew up with lol.

1. superman II
2. The Dark Knight
3. X2
4. Iron Man 2
5. Transformers 2: ok ok ok, i'm probably going to lose all credibility for this one but i'll explain. i'm a transformers fan and as bad as the film is, it had some cool optimus prime scenes and again, i'd have to go for originality. it wasn't really about giving up powers to get the girl.

i dont know, sorry for all the hate on spider-man, but i just feel that the most recent cartoon, spectacular spider-man was far superior than any of the movies. it had humor, charm, and action. it's what i would like to see in a live action movie for spider-man which i don't think we got in the raimi movies.

Oh wow! I totally forgot about Superman II. I realize the film looks somewhat dated now with the FX, but as a kid that was THE sequel! I was too young to know about all the turmoil with Richard Donner getting fired and all that, but I really enjoyed that movie as a kid.

Oh wow! I totally forgot about Superman II. I realize the film looks somewhat dated now with the FX, but as a kid that was THE sequel! I was too young to know about all the turmoil with Richard Donner getting fired and all that, but I really enjoyed that movie as a kid.

Whoops! I also forgot about Superman 2.

Some of the best lines from a villain ever!

"Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod!"

"I see you are practiced in worshiping things that fly. Good. Now, rise before Zod."

President: "I'm the President. I'll kneel before you, if it will save lives."
Zod: "It will, starting with your own."

"I win. I always win. Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?"

You gotta love that pompous bastard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"