Iron Man 2 Where does Iron Man 2 stand among other superhero sequels?

I think it's a very good sequel overall but it's not without its flaws. Favreau directs excellent character and humorous moments; unfortunately he lacks in the action category.

This my main issue with IM2, there was just no emotion to the movie, other than the Howard Stark moment, there was no emotional engagement with the characters. I mean, Tony Stark, Iron Man, the title character was dying, and there was just no drama to it.

This I can agree with. There should've been more urgency. I just think the temporary antidote from Nick Fury was a bad idea.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
This my main issue with IM2, there was just no emotion to the movie, other than the Howard Stark moment, there was no emotional engagement with the characters. I mean, Tony Stark, Iron Man, the title character was dying, and there was just no drama to it.

Exactly. I still think a 'breaking down" scene like you've suggested before would've gone a long way. I imagine something where at the start of the movie, Stark still isn't done looking through the periodic table for a replacement element yet. Then later on, have a scene where he's experimenting with the last few remaining possible combinations only to see none of them will work either. So he breaks down and gets really drunk.

Then instead of the house party scene, he has go fight Hydra or AIM (in the spirit of Marvel connecting their films), who have been emboldened by Whiplash's attack in Monaco and and are attacking a Stark Industries plant. And since he's totally wasted, IM is only causing more harm than good, still forcing Rhodey to take the Mark II.

Parker Wayne said:
This I can agree with. There should've been more urgency. I just think the temporary antidote from Nick Fury was a bad idea.

I agree. I don't know why Tony wouldn't have figured that an injection of that medication (I can't remember what it was) would help with the poisoning. Plus, I think it would've improved the second act of the film quite a bit as we would've seen Stark's condition get worse as he trys to figure out what his dad was up to.

Indeed it was. Up to that point we were worried about him dying and from then on he was all cheerful and carefree. His poisoning was the main "villain" of the movie, and everything else stemmed from that, so i guess what they did is the equivalent of the Joker dying in the middle of TDK.

1. X2
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman Returns
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 was good, but compared to The likes of (The Dark Knight), (Spider-Man 2) and (X2) it doesn't even come close .

the problem is Iron Man II was too overloaded just like Spider-Man 3. Both film had great moments , awesome special effects, and Solid Cast. Unfortunately they also had silly dance sequence , Wasted opportunity on the villain, Introduction of way too many characters.

Iron Man 2 was good, but compared to The likes of (The Dark Knight), (Spider-Man 2) and (X2) it doesn't even come close .

the problem is Iron Man II was too overloaded just like Spider-Man 3. Both film had great moments , awesome special effects, and Solid Cast. Unfortunately they also had silly dance sequence , Wasted opportunity on the villain, Introduction of way too many characters.

I still wouldn't compare it to Spiderman 3. The party scene, as crazy as it was, was still well within character for Stark, and I never thought there were too many characters introduced. I felt only character who needed more development was Vanko.

Please, IM2 isn't even comparable to SM3 and way better than X2. Like I said before, X2 is basically a repeat of the first one with better sfx. But yeah, they were pretty good Wolverine movies.

Well I guess it's awesome IM2 is being compared to SM3, as both are my favorite in their respective franchises.

Please, IM2 isn't even comparable to SM3 and way better than X2. Like I said before, X2 is basically a repeat of the first one with better sfx. But yeah, they were pretty good Wolverine movies.
In what world? Go re-watch it!

I've said this before but for me, while there are some great comic book movies (Iron Man, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins) there are only two movies that are not only good comic book films, but excel beyond the genre and become fantastic films on their own merits. And those films are X2 and The Dark Knight.

TDK is one of the best crime dramas in the history of cinima. X2 is one of the best science fiction films.

The problem is TDK is still fresh in peoples minds. X2 is not, and people look at it with rose tinted glasses on, and forget how truly remarkable it is.

In what world? Go re-watch it!

I've said this before but for me, while there are some great comic book movies (Iron Man, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins) there are only two movies that are not only good comic book films, but excel beyond the genre and become fantastic films on their own merits. And those films are X2 and The Dark Knight.

TDK is one of the best crime dramas in the history of cinima. X2 is one of the best science fiction films.

The problem is TDK is still fresh in peoples minds. X2 is not, and people look at it with rose tinted glasses on, and forget how truly remarkable it is.

I posted this in another thread

Just go back and watch part one, it's basically the same.

Wolverine and his somewhat amazing friends. check
Wolverine vs a woman. check
Cyclops not leading and not doing anything. check
Storm being non existent. check
Jean not really doing anything except for the end. check
Wolverine, Jean and Cyke love triangle. check
Prof. X incapacitated. check
Bobby not freezing his whole body and doing "Iceman" stuff. check

I can keep going, but I'll stop there.

When I think X-Men, I think of the team from the animated series (Pryde of the X-Men is still my favorite), the comics, the video games, the other great villains apart from Magneto, them actually being and fighting as a team. Not just a movie centered on Wolverine and him saving the day.

But like I said it's still a good Wolverine movie, I mean I don't hate it.

The Dark Knight
X2
Blade 2
Spider-Man 2
Iron Man 2

...off the top of my head.

When I think X-Men, I think of the team from the animated series (Pryde of the X-Men is still my favorite), the comics, the video games, the other great villains apart from Magneto, them actually being and fighting as a team. Not just a movie centered on Wolverine and him saving the day.

Erm, except they worked as A TEAM to stop Magneto in X1, and in X2 it was Storm and Nightcrawler who "saved the day". It was only in X3 where Wolverine did everything and saved everything. Cyclops was very much the leader of the X-Men in X1. Jean was the female lead in X2. Storm SAVED THE WORLD from near annihilation in X2.

I could use what you just said as a way to argue that Iron Man and Iron Man 2 are the same film, as in both films

Tony and Pepper have a biting relationship.
Tony and Rhody get into a fight.
Tony has to stop someone in another suit.
It's because of Tony's miscalculation why the villain gets the upper hand.
The villain has a "connection" to Tony and his family.

Don't you see the ignorance in everything I just mentioned?

In order

1. X-2
2. Batman Returns
3. The Dark Knight
4. Iron Man 2
5. Spider-Man 2

...The problem is TDK is still fresh in peoples minds. X2 is not, and people look at it with rose tinted glasses on, and forget how truly remarkable it is.

I don't think that's what rose tinted glasses on means, isn't it the opposite?

X2 is not fresh in people's minds so they believe it was a remarkable movie because they look at it with rose tinted glasses on.

There, fix'd :oldrazz:

10.) X-Men Origins: Wolverine (6.8 out of 10)
9.) Batman Forever (7.0 out of 10)
8.) X3: The Last Stand (7.0 out of 10)
7.) Spider-man 3 (7.5 out of 10)
6.) Superman 2 (8.0 out of 10)
5.) Superman Returns (8.0 out of 10)
4.) Iron Man 2 (8.7 out of 10)
3.) X2: X-men United (9.0 out of 10)
2.) Spider-man 2 (9.5 out of 10)
1.) The Dark Knight (10 out of 10)

Now, there is a huge drop off from Superman II to Spider-man 3, and a sizable drop off from Iron Man 2 to Superman Returns.

This list also doesn't recognize The Incredible Hulk as a sequel, vague or otherwise but as a complete reboot, as I believe was intended.

-R

This is what the world wide box office thinks: Being a huge Hulk fan, this is just sad :(

1) Dark Knight ---------------$ 1001.9 million
2) Spiderman 3 --------------$ 890.9 million
3) Spiderman ----------------$ 806.7 million
4) Spiderman 2 --------------$ 784.0 million
5) Iron Man 2 ----------------$ 621.7 million
6) Iron Man ------------------$ 582.0 million
7) X3 -----------------------$ 459.3 million
8) Superman returns ---------$ 391.1 million
9) X2 -----------------------$ 379.6 million
10) X origins: Wolverine ------$ 373.1 million
11) Batman Begins -----------$ 371.9 million
12) Batman Forever ----------$ 335.0 million
13) Fantastic Four -----------$ 330.1 million
14) Superman ---------------$ 300.2 million
15) X-men ------------------$ 294.3 million
16) Fantastic Four 2 ---------$ 288.3 million
17) Batman returns ----------$ 282.8 million
18) The Incredible Hulk ------$ 263.4 million
19) The Hulk ----------------$ 241.7 million

Last edited:
I rewatched Iron Man 2 last night, since I finally have it on Blu-Ray now.

Yeah, I think the movie still holds up well. My opinion of it hasn't changed. It's a genuinely fun movie with good actors and good action. :)

I stand by my opinion that in looking at alot of these sequels it's that there was a huge upgrade from X1 to X2. Same can be said for SM1 to SM2. Although I actually enjoyed BB better than TDK, most people view the second as an upgrade.

From IM1 to IM2 it was more even, and in some ways the first one was better. That doesn't mean IM2 was crap, it just means that IM1 was IMO the abolute perfect origin movie for a superhero. It's also one of the rare times where an actor takes absolute ownership of the role. As much as I like Nolan's film, Bale doesn't come close to owning the Bruce Wane role the way Keaton did.

After finally getting a chance to rewatch the film, I still say that IM2 is a good movie, just not quite as good as IM1.

This is what the world wide box office thinks: Being a huge Hulk fan, this is just sad :(

Its not TIH's fault. TIH was brought down by bad marketing on Universal's part and because of bad buzz due to Ang Lee's film.

none of those are plot points really at all though, and X2 has so much more to offer

I mean the school gets invaded by a swat team for crying out loud

and then iceman "coming out" to his parents, that whole chunk was pretty brillian.
"Have you tried...not being a mutant?"
then being betrayed by his brother. Subtle as a sledgehammer, but still very nice social commentary.

And then Stryker's whole scheme was pretty awesome, in a horrible way with the way had treated and was using his son, and yes now after years of having wolverine shoved down our throughts it may leave a bad taste in our mouths the whole interaction between Logan and Stryker was awesome.

And also as you've said, the special effects are so much better.

This of course has nothing to do with Iron man, but Im sorry, I really enjoy X2, I find it unfortunate that you do not.

While the amount of CB movies has already been rediculous, could you imagine the past decade if DC cranked out as many movies as marvel?

1) The Dark Knight
2) X2: X-Men United
3) Spider-Man 2
4) Iron Man 2
5) The Incredible Hulk

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member