Iron Man Where does it stack up?

weezerspider

Sidekick
Reaction score
Out of all the comic book movies, where does Iron Man stack up? Most reviews from critics and fans alike are putting it up near the top. I would agree with most of you guys and have it up near the top. I'd ranked it 3rd out of all superhero movies behind Spiderman 2 and Batman Begins. What about you guys?

I'd definitely put it in the top five of best comic films to date. I'm not the biggest fan of Iron Man, but the film was near-perfect, imo.

I never knew anything of Iron Man before this movie, so for me to say it's Top Five now is amazing. I know I'd put X-2, Spider-Man 1, Batman Begins ahead of it. Then I'd have to think about it, but I think it would be in the top five

As you can tell by the username,Spider-Man is my favourite superhero/comic book character EVER!
Iron Man was always in my top 10 characters.
Anyway,back on topic lol.
BUT even before Iron Man came out,the way it was shaping up,everything released had more or less near enough positive fan reaction, and I said it's shaping up to be the best superhero film ever.
I still stick by that,it's easily number 1 for me.
The pinnacle, the creme de la creme....with extra creme lol :oldrazz:
In my opinion,(the key point there - my opinion lol) it's the best superhero film, there is no better :yay:

Right now, IM is in my top 3 favorite superhero movies of all time.

I've seen it three times so far, once on each of the first three days it was out. I have to admit to not really being an iron man fan. I'm much more of a DC guy, and from what I've heard, Tony's been a bit of an ass for quite some time in the comics. That being said, I watched the trailer a couple minutes ago, and suddenly wanted to go buy a ticket and see it again. As of right now, i believe Iron Man is the best comic book movie ever made, hands down. Batman Begins is a close second, and Spider-Man 2 is right there as well. While i love both of those movies, Iron Man is damn near perfect.

Under different circumstances I'd say it might hold up being number one for quite some time. But it had to come out the same year as The Dark Knight. So we'll see.

Definitely up there with Spider-Man and X-Men 1 & 2, and Batman Begins. This is absolutely a top tier comic book movie.

and I think you will be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't agree with that statement. As far as movie quality goes, you'd pretty much have to be crazy not to agree...

I large part of my rating is based on so called "cringe-worthy moments".

Iron Man's lack of these moments gives it an edge over pretty much every comic movie aside from Batman Begins. Actually, I would say Begins has more but makes up for it other ways.

I also knew nothing of Iron Man before this movie, but the only comic-book movie I don't put this movie ahead of is Batman Begins. But I don't put BB ahead of IM, either. To me, they are side-by-side as the 2 best comic book superhero movies yet. However, they are tied for #2 on my list of favorite superhero movies of all-time. #1 there is still The Incredibles.

But yeah, I definitely liked this one better than all the Spidey and X-men movies.

I do the same thing, bunk, with those "cringe-worthy moments," and IM definitely beats BB in that department.

The fact that I never really read Iron Man comics helped my enjoyment. I wasn't nitpicking things because I didn't know the history. I was just having fun going along with the ride. I think it has a fun energy that will probably make it a fun rewatch on DVD. I wouldn't say its #1, though. I still give that to Superman.

The big showdown at the end of this movie is the only thing that holds it back.

Batman Begins is my all-time favorite comic book movie, but this is #2, and is certainly the best Marvel movie. Robert Downey Jr. and Jon Favreau definitely have my respect now. Awesome movie.:im::stark

I large part of my rating is based on so called "cringe-worthy moments".

Iron Man's lack of these moments gives it an edge over pretty much every comic movie aside from Batman Begins. Actually, I would say Begins has more but makes up for it other ways.

Let me guess, Katie Holmes right.:cwink: Her last scene with Bale in that movie was a cringe-worthy moment for me. For me in IM the only cringe-worthy scene was Yinsen's death scene. I just thought it should have been a bit more graphic to sell it, I mean throw a little bit of blood in there.

Let me guess, Katie Holmes right.:cwink: Her last scene with Bale in that movie was a cringe-worthy moment for me. For me in IM the only cringe-worthy scene was Yinsen's death scene. I just thought it should have been a bit more graphic to sell it, I mean throw a little bit of blood in there.

It was mostly due to some of the lines. "I gotta get me one of those" type lines. Also, certain shots where Bale's face looked fat and other random things of that nature.

I didn't notice anything wrong with Yinsen's death but I thought RDJ did a nice job with it.

Movie was subpar. I put it way behind Spiderman 2, Batman Begins, and Batman '89.

I think it's more enjoyable than Spiderman 1 & 3 and most other superhero movies though. But it didn't have any climatic scenes and made really dumb choices near the end.

Once I see it a second time tomorrow I should be able to analyse it fully.

I think more time has to pass before I can rate it against other films. It definitely has a re-watchability that a lot of other superhero movies lack. But it also suffers the pitfalls of an origin story. Origin stories inherently have a low quotient of actions scenes and in-costume time. But it's my favorite origin movie to date.

And I know everyone is quick to put BB up on the pedestal, I love it too, but I find it hard to watch TOO often. It's one of those I can watch every few months - even since it came out on DVD. Iron Man, on the other hand, is more of an entertainer. I can see myself putting that DVD on every other day while doing menial chores around the house.

I disagree completely with the above post. Iron Man never makes me want to watch it again. It has fun moments but there is no climax throughout the movie. It all leads up to a rediculous battle and makes me just laugh at it more than enjoy it.

I also agree Batman Begins is hard to put in your dvd again and again, but I don't think you should watch most movies again and again. It's only when you are obsessed with something should you have to watch it again and again. I just thought Batman Begins was a better movie and got me more into the mind of the character than Iron Man by a long shot.

it's pretty much spiderman 1 redux for me

if it came out in spidey's stead and made these (spidey1 like) opening numbers, it would have had the same impact

that being said, i doubt it's got the legs for these coming weeks

One of the best comic book movies to date. And not because it was just great comic book movie, but because it was also just a good movie in general.

Best comic book movie ever IMO. There really were no weak spots. Certainly it has the best cast of any Superhero movie to date, or in the near future for that matter.

Ok, I don't get that last bit. Why did there have to be more blood? We know he was shot, I thought it was pretty touching.

Hmmm, lets see here:

1) Batman Begins - Simply a very great movie, great acting, great cast.....great

2) Superman: The Movie - NOBODY embodied a character more, from looks to his portrayal, to even his real life, Christopher Reeve was, and is, Superman...period (sorry Brandon) Even with all its hokey-ness, I believed in it, in him, and thats why this movie works for me

3) Ironman & Blade - IM was great, and Downey Jr. embodies Tony Stark almost as much as Reeve did Supes. On the other hand, Blade is a criminally slept-on movie IMO, it not only bought comic book movies back to the forefront (something X-men always seems to get the credit for) it also didn't shortchange the character, something that would've been very easy to do considering Blade's second-rate hero status in the comic books. Not only that, but it was one of the few movies to make changes to a character that actually "worked" and subsequently, influenced his comic book counterpart in the process

4) Batman (89) - Another movie that seems to have lost some of its luster to alot of folks in the passing years. Make no mistake, this is still a great movie, and did the caped crusader justice in his first film outing. While I feel BB is a more conventional movie that more closely resembles the Batman of the comics, this movie has a timeless style to it yet to be matched. Everything might not make sense like BB, but everything looked damn cool I'll tell you that. Batman was a mythical creature of the night, and Jack (even if he was doing Jack) provided a great Joker. As a young kid who saw this as it hit theatres, and then had it as the first VHS tape for our VCR, I can safely say I haven't watched another movie more than B89, and I don't think I ever will.

5) Spiderman 1 & 3 - Thats right, I said 3. I'm in the minority on this I know, but I really didn't enjoy Spiderman 2 as much as alot of others may have. To me, it took the fun out of Spidey that I got from the first film, and while it may be based on a comic book storyline, I just felt that it wasn't that great of a movie. I loved Doc Ock, but the film just drags when i watch it. Spiderman 3, for all its faults, was just plain old fun to me. I hated the way they shortchanged Venom, but aside from that, it really felt like a Spiderman comic book come to life, with all the weird plot stuff (such a well-placed meteorite :whatever:) and frenetic pace. I watch Batman & Hulk for doom & gloom, I watch Spidey for fun.

And thats my two cents, with TDK on the horizon, this list could be a little different in a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"