Where it all began ?

Mandon Knight

We did it......
Reaction score
What film 'got you into films' ? i.e. the childhood or formative years film watching experience that made you a fan of cinema and take an interest, beyond 'just watching films'. For me, films have always been about 'more' than watching the film. Many people say that they watch films to 'escape', I'm very much the opposite and wish to dive in and be immersive with the film, maybe as a film-maker & writer myself, that's where that comes from.

Look forward to hearing other people's views, stories, choices etc.

I don't think "one" is ever really gonna cover this.

So...

My origin story is:

Grandma took me to see SUPERMAN in 1979 as a 3 year old. Then I would say Empire a year later in 1980. I truly do remember seeing those in the theater, as hard as that might be to believe. Then Alien, The Thing and Excalibur but those were all on VHS, but very much stuck with me. Also seeing Wings, the silent film on channel 13 here in NYC and, having just learned how to read well enough to follow the dialog cards, was totally drawn in to this silent, B/W movie. Then there's the diet of musicals that my mom and grandma loved so I was pretty well versed there but the big three would probably be Singin' In The Rain, West Side Story and Wizard Of Oz, all which had big impacts, and also, strangely, Best Little ****ehouse In Texas. And for comedies I think the Wilder/Pryor double threat of Silver Streak, Stir Crazy along side Stripes and probably Ghost Busters rounds me out. By 1984 let's say my taste and druthers when it comes to mass marketed films had in the broadest strokes been set.

I don't think "one" is ever really gonna cover this.

So...

My origin story is:

Grandma took me to see SUPERMAN in 1979 as a 3 year old. Then I would say Empire a year later in 1980. I truly do remember seeing those in the theater, as hard as that might be to believe. Then Alien, The Thing and Excalibur but those were all on VHS, but very much stuck with me. Also seeing Wings, the silent film on channel 13 here in NYC and, having just learned how to read well enough to follow the dialog cards, was totally drawn in to this silent, B/W movie. Then there's the diet of musicals that my mom and grandma loved so I was pretty well versed there but the big three would probably be Singin' In The Rain, West Side Story and Wizard Of Oz, all which had big impacts, and also, strangely, Best Little ****ehouse In Texas. And for comedies I think the Wilder/Pryor double threat of Silver Streak, Stir Crazy along side Stripes and probably Ghost Busters rounds me out. By 1984 let's say my taste and druthers when it comes to mass marketed films had in the broadest strokes been set.

Agreed, a number of films will 'do it' as such, but I can pin a cinema experience or watch of Superman (1978) with my Dad as being the film that was the catalyst for me wanting to make films and be a writer and 'inspire' me as such. Obviously I was to young to know the 'how' of it all, I knew I wanted to 'tell stories' and wanted to piece pictures together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"