Which Bond movie had the best pre-title opener?

Golgo-13

The Return of the O.G
Reaction score
The opening to a Bond flick, that appears before the title/theme song/credits is trademark to all (except Dr.No) 007 flicks, so which Bond movie had the best pre-title opening action scene?

I like the openers to:

The Living Daylights
Die Another Day
Tommorrow Never Dies
Octopussy

The worst have got to be 'The Man with the Golden Gun', and 'Live and Let die'...

Goldfinger is the best because it's a mini-Bond film. The other teasers either set-up the plot or show-off some stunt or gadget.

Other great teasers:
Thunderball
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me

And, yeah, the worst is Live & Let Die. Bond isn't even in it.

Die Another Day has a surprisingly good one - it has all the excitement the rest of the film completely lacks. I could well believe Tamahori didn't direct it.

The Living Daylights has a great sequence. Introduces a new 007, sets up the storyline, has some great stunts, great action, and a killer punchline (woman on yacht dispairs that she can't find a real man, Bond lands on her boat) - "I'll report in an hour........better make it two." Pure Bond.

7.jpg

I think Goldfinger's pre-title sequence is great, short and straight to the point. And From Russia with Love's too, because of the ominous atmosphere.

1. The World is not enough
2. Goldeneye
3. Die Another Day
4. Tomorrow never dies
5. For your eyes only

Goldfinger easily. Bond emerges from the water, rapples up wall, takes out guard, sneaks into vault, plants explosives, exits, takes off wet suit to reveal dinner suit, enters bar/club, observes girl dancing, lights cigarette, looks at watch, Bomb goes off, yanks girl out of bath, kisses her, electrocutes goon after using said girl as a shield, cracks a joke and then opener.

Pure class.

Goldfinger's opening is great. I also liked The Living Daylights,GoldenEye and Tomorrow Never Dies.

Goldeneye had the best opening pre-title sequence. The shootings, the music, even the bungee jumping. It still blows my mind.

Moonraker's opening is superb, if only it was five seconds shorter and cut out the stuff with Jaws flapping his arms because his parachute broke.

1. The World is not enough
2. Goldeneye
3. Die Another Day
4. Tomorrow never dies
5. For your eyes only

From the 60´s movie OHMSS followd by Goldfinger are my favorites.

Not one of them is realy bad.

Goldfinger's opening is the coolest. Even the final sound of Bond slamming a door goes into the theme tune by Shirley Bassey. It makes you realise how the Bond films have never been as stylish as they were in the 60's.

Kevin Roegele said:
Goldfinger's opening is the coolest. Even the final sound of Bond slamming a door goes into the theme tune by Shirley Bassey. It makes you realise how the Bond films have never been as stylish as they were in the 60's.

I 100% agree with everything you just said.

On another note OHMSS is slowly creeping up into 2nd plce for me. The fight on the beach and the opening theme music was pretty catchy, Damn, I wish Connery made this movie.

I always liked The World Is Not Enough's opening. The boat chase was pretty sweet. It's too bad the rest of the film wasn't as good.

SpyderDan said:
I always liked The World Is Not Enough's opening. The boat chase was pretty sweet. It's too bad the rest of the film wasn't as good.

:up: Exactly. The boat chase was the most exciting bit by far, it should have been the climax.

Kevin Roegele said:
:up: Exactly. The boat chase was the most exciting bit by far, it should have been the climax.

Imagine if the rest of the film was able to top that. Then it would've been the pefect opener.

1. Goldfinger
2. Goldeneye
3. The World is Not Enough
4. The Spy Who Loved Me
5. Moonraker (and I hate this movie, but still a great opener)
6. Die Another Day
7. For Your Eyes Only
8. The Living Daylights

Those are the best of 'em imo there.

The best are GOLDFINGER, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE. Every one of those is brilliant and does the job perfectly.

GoldenEye + Goldfinger in changing orders or no order (depending on my mood)
for: best opening sequenz, best song (Bassey / Turner), best villian(s), story...

Goldfinger is the best by far. Bond using the duck to camouflage himself, wearing a tuxedo underneath the wetsuit, lighting a cigarette as all the patrons run out of the club.

GoldenEye-just the way the movie re-introduces Bond so classically and how the music begins with "Dun dun dun dun..."
Die Another Day-the hovercrafts, as exquisite an action sequence as they were, really didn't do it for me, but Bond being tortured and shoved into that icy water made me think the movie had promise.
Thunderball- How can you not love the scene that inspired Austin Powers' "It's not your mother, it's a man, baby!" Connery punching that widow out is priceless.

You Only Live Twice and From Russia, With Love had a "what the hell is going on?" tone to them when you see Bond supposedly killed, and I think it'll be a while before they try and pull that off in a future Bond movie.

Goldfinger

IMO, GF's sequence is the one that really sets the standard by which all other PTS's are judged... it has everything - stealth, gadgets, timing, class, girls, hand-to-hand combat, witty lines - and it's all used perfectly...

no contest, for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"