• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Which channel has gone down hill the most?

Agree with it being the Cartoon Network, how can you name your channel that and not have daily showings of 80's and 90's classics, Transformers, Gi-Joe, Thundercats, Voltron, The Real Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman(90's run), X-men, The Tick, Gargoyles...etc :word:
I DO wish that CN would show those programs. But I still say G4 is the worst. It doesn't even have anything to do with video-games any more.

Wow, when I read this thread, I assumed it was going to be about MTV and ESPN.

ESPN should be at the top of the list though. I'm not sure if there's anything they're doing better than they were in 1992, and there are heaps of things they're doing worse.

EASILY UPN to MY television. There is literally nothing to watch there anymore and I'm positive they're just going to take it off completely soon enough.

Don't get the complaints about CN though. Their line-up is great and better than it has been in a while. The only anime I ever see them playing is Pokemon and Yugioh and even the latter doesn't get as much airtime anymore. Other than that it's The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Camp Lazlo, My Gym Partner's a monkey, genuinely funny and imaginative shows. :up: Adult Swim (with the exception of Saul of The Molemen) is always good for a laugh and I've been Hooked on the Tim and Eric stuff since Tom goes to the Mayor. I like the way they poke fun at public access television.

Spike tv also sucks now. :(

cartoon network has gotten so bad..its almost unwatchable
mtv is just a joke

A lot of the cable channels are really getting lazy. He's my tops 3 list of worst cable channels based on their current entertainment value vs. their potential

1. E! - Don't get me wrong, I love 'The Soup', but this channel is WRETCHED. I can barely tollerate TGND, but that it. Nothing else on that channel - Evah!

2. MTV - Horrid entertainment. One shouldn't complain about Vh1 w/o first looking at this 'putricity for teens' that should only be viewed by adults. I never watch MTV other than occasional docs and/or RW/RR challenge shows...b/c it's just not worth watching anymore.

3. CN - Cartoon Network used to have entertainment value on several levels...Now I'd struggle to say they can entertain on one. Raise your hand if you're infatuated with all the anime programming that's choked the life out of this network? And the Adult Swim block is more shock than funny. The last good thing I saw on CN was a Squidbillies marathon during New Year's weekend. (now THAT's a funny show!) But I haven't seen it on since.

LOL! I don't get a single channel you guys are *****ing about. :oldrazz: I could get the CW (UPN is dead, combined with WB netwrok to form this) if I was willing to shell out for digital cable. Even then any show it has worth watching is on a local channel. One thing that bothers me is that Space doesn't show DS9 anymore. :down And that they have to show Relic hunter. :down :down

Honestly if it wasn't for the NBA. I probably wouldn't have cable.

Is basic cable even worth it? It's like most of the channels are deviating from their original mission statements on the content.

MTV no longer shows music videos or interviews with musicians. Now it's mostly reality crap
E! no longer does any behind the scenes stuff
ESPN isn't about sports.
CN no longer shows cartoons. (ones we care about)
Sci-Fi rarely shows classic Sci-fi or almost no sci-fi.
G4 isn't about gaming anymore.
A&E no longer is about Arts or Entertainment.

BET has very little Black entertainment outside of Old Wayans and Jamie Foxx Repeats and Music videos.
Nickelodeon rarely shows kids shows.

All these networks need to change their name to TBS superstation. That's what their schedule looks like to me. And that's not worth $30-45 bucks a month to me. In some ways Cable is the biggest rip-off out there.

Ever since the networks became deregulated Cable has been a morass of multiple repeats of old sitcoms, heavily edited movies, and stupid reality shows. At least in the 80's we used to get some swearing and see some boobs with HBO. And it only cost $15 a month.

On the subject of Cartoon Network not showing cartoons "we care about", that's what Boomerang is for. The current CN has to apease the current generation of kids who watch cartoons and my little brother and sister (7 and 3) can't get enough of the stuff so I think they're doing their job. That is their market after all. Just be glad they don't show baby crap on mornings.

Just because we're not in the demographic anymore and don't enjoy the new stuff, it does not mean these channels have gone downhill. MTV and VH1 I can totally understand because they rarely if ever play music anymore (they created a seperate channel for it and even that just turned into the regular one). Disney, The Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon are still doing their jobs quite well though...Besides, I have Nicktoons, Toon Disney, and Boomerang for all those shows I miss. :D

Is basic cable even worth it? It's like most of the channels are deviating from their original mission statements on the content.

ESPN isn't about sports.
what their schedule looks like to me. And that's not worth $30-45 bucks a month to me. In some ways Cable is the biggest rip-off out there.

Ever since the networks became deregulated Cable has been a morass of multiple repeats of old sitcoms, heavily edited movies, and stupid reality shows. At least in the 80's we used to get some swearing and see some boobs with HBO. And it only cost $15 a month.
i see your point

On the subject of Cartoon Network not showing cartoons "we care about", that's what Boomerang is for. The current CN has to apease the current generation of kids who watch cartoons and my little brother and sister (7 and 3) can't get enough of the stuff so I think they're doing their job. That is their market after all. Just be glad they don't show baby crap on mornings.

Just because we're not in the demographic and anymore and don't enjoy the new stuff, it does not mean these channels have gone downhill. MTV and VH1 I can totally understand because they rarely if ever play music anymore (they created a seperate channel for it and even that just turned into the regular one). Disney, The Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon are still doing their jobs quite well though...Besides, I have Nicktoons, Toon Disney, and Boomerang for all those shows I miss. :D

But I don't get Boomerang :cmad: You have to pay $4 a month extra for that channel alone!

i've been sugessting bommerang to my respective cable providers [first in va. now in fla] i DO have boomerang on demand though

MTV no longer shows music videos or interviews with musicians. Now it's mostly reality crap
ESPN isn't about sports.
G4 isn't about gaming anymore.
A&E no longer is about Arts or Entertainment.

BET has very little Black entertainment outside of Old Wayans and Jamie Foxx Repeats and Music videos.
Nickelodeon rarely shows kids shows.

All these networks need to change their name to TBS superstation. That's what their schedule looks like to me. And that's not worth $30-45 bucks a month to me. In some ways Cable is the biggest rip-off out there.

I like A&E for shows like Dog, even though that wasn't its original type of programming

ESPN is a must during football season but when baseball reigns supreme it can become very dry. (But the NBA Playoffs and the NFL Draft? *Kisses Fingers*

And there are those times when I'm compelled to have a Wrestling fix. USA & Spike both offer that programming. In addition, Spike is also a 24-hour CSI channel.

Comedy Central has South Park, the Showbiz Show, and occasional offerings of comedy so that's good.

But I can't negate the quality programming on Discovery & History Channel, respectively. I can find some good on one of those every week.

G4. When they bought Tech TV they brouhgt some good shows. Now the only good thing is Arrested Development.

Sadly Boomerang has gone dramaticlly downhill. No longer does it air Hanna Barbara's Fantastic Four, the Herculoids, Filmmation's Flash Gordon, Ruby Spears Thundarr the Barbarian , with character art by Comic Legend Jack "King" Kirby who designed most of the major characters still in the limelight at Marvel Comics. No, now they air Snorks, Smurfs and still lesser series. Boomerang basically has hit the wall and broke apart.

In no particular order:
MTV (and while we're at it, MTV2, which has essentially become a carbon copy of MTV1)

VH1 - It has essentially become Viacom's version of E! in recent years instead of being "Music First"

ESPN Classic - Bowling, the World Series of Poker, reruns of "American Gladiators", "Stump the Shwab", and "Arliss", don't constitute as being "classic".

G4TV - Has gone right down the toliet ever since Neal Tiles was put in charge.

The Disney Channel - It used to be a general audience channel/tribute to classic Disney animation and productions. Now, they've completely sold out (dumping "Vault Disney" in the process) and is a strictly tween/"Let's milk the cash cow dry" (a la "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical") fare.

Nickelodeon

In no particular order:
MTV (and while we're at it, MTV2, which has essentially become a carbon copy of MTV1)

VH1 - It has essentially become Viacom's version of E! in recent years instead of being "Music First"

ESPN Classic - Bowling, the World Series of Poker, reruns of "American Gladiators", "Stump the Shwab", and "Arliss", don't constitute as being "classic".

G4TV - Has gone right down the toliet ever since Neal Tiles was put in charge.

The Disney Channel - It used to be a general audience channel/tribute to classic Disney animation and productions. Now, they've completely sold out (dumping "Vault Disney" in the process) and is a strictly tween/"Let's milk the cash cow dry" (a la "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical") fare.

Nickelodeon

Way to bring back a year old thread

:whatever:

I would say tv land. I don't hardly watch it much as iused to. they keep showing the same movies that been on other channels. now they have their own reality shows like high school reuion. like who cares they cut off happydays the hoonymooners, my favorite martian, and the odd couple. I would like to say nick is going down hill to. only show i watch is home inprovment. I'll porbbley watch it when family matters coming on.

BET. Black Entertainment Television.

TBS
BET
MTV
CW(formerly WB)
Fox
Disney Channel
Cartoon Network

TBS
BET
MTV
CW(formerly WB)
Fox
Disney Channel
Cartoon Network

Is there trouble at The CW?
http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/03/27/is-there-trouble-at-the-cw/

Lets see:
*They've decided to pull the plug on "SmackDown!" even though it's their highest rated show.

*They don't pick up "Reba" following the merger even though I believe it was the WB's highest rated show (or at least, sitcom) at the time.

*They're pulling the plug on Kids' WB in favor of the cheap anime from 4KidsTV (which is already on FOX).

*The crust of their shows are either reality shows (e.g. "America's Next Top Model" and "Beauty and the Geek") or shows about pretty white kids with problems (e.g. "Gossip Girl" and "One Tree Hill"). This comes in the midst of them announcing the dismantling of their comedy department.

*They immediately dump shows that have a cult following like "Veronica Mars" or frequently give it a bad timeslot like "Everybody Hates Chris".

Is there trouble at The CW?
http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/03/27/is-there-trouble-at-the-cw/

Lets see:
*They've decided to pull the plug on "SmackDown!" even though it's their highest rated show.

*They don't pick up "Reba" following the merger even though I believe it was the WB's highest rated show (or at least, sitcom) at the time.

*They're pulling the plug on Kids' WB in favor of the cheap anime from 4KidsTV (which is already on FOX).

*The crust of their shows are either reality shows (e.g. "America's Next Top Model" and "Beauty and the Geek") or shows about pretty white kids with problems (e.g. "Gossip Girl" and "One Tree Hill"). This comes in the midst of them announcing the dismantling of their comedy department.

*They immediately dump shows that have a cult following like "Veronica Mars" or frequently give it a bad timeslot like "Everybody Hates Chris".

No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"