Which characters have been adapted the best?

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
Which characters do you feel have been recreated the most successfully in the movies?

For instance, I think Beast in X3 was done superbly, in performance, costume, fighting, he was absolutely right. Alternately, I feel Angel was all wrong, except his flying and his wings. He came across as an small, introverted, angsty teenager.

Good = Batman, Hellboy, All of Sin City's characters, Beast, Punisher, Scarecrow, Ra's and superman

Bad = everyone else from all three x-men movies, Daredevil, Hulk(why was he 30 feet tall?), Doc Ock, the fantastic four, Dr. Doom

Ugly = Green Goblin, The Thing, and Elektra( just not my type)

Reeeally... I dunno blud, I thought X2 really nailed Wolverine. ("You picked the wrong house, bub." Death ensues.) And Xavier and Magneto in the first two films were just pitch perfect. I mean, sure, Mags didn't have his Bowlfex body from the comics, but I think that character demands more presence, regality and subtlety than he does six-pack abs.

Batman, Spider-man, Aunt May and Uncle Ben, Hannibal King, Scarecrow, (don't agree on Ra's, he was a cool character but not an accurate adaptation), Green Goblin (except for the costume) had that Norman Osborn swagger and sadism spot on, Nightcrawler and Beast were just great, and yeah, Hellboy and Sin City.

-- END!

My list is:

-Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart)
-Wolverine (Hugh Jackman)
-Magneto (Ian Mckellan)
- Beast (Kelsey Grammar)
-Bullseye (Colin Farrel)
-The Punisher (Thomas Jane)
-Batman(Christian Bale)
-NightCrawler(Alan Cumming)
-Jean Grey(Famke Jannsen)
-Superman(Christopher Reeves)
-Green Goblin (Willem Dafoe)

There are more but those are on the top for me.

well thats the thing about opinions. can't fight you on any of that. ZGlad you liked everyone from x2. i might have gotten more out of the movies if i wasn't such a cynical guy. I would like to change my stance on nightcrawler though, i forgot about him

Pitch perfect in my opinion is Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man/Peter Parker as well as X-Men and X2's Xavier and Magneto. X3 versions, not so much.
Cummings' Nightcrawler from X2 and Christopher Reeves' Superman/Clark Kent I feel were spot on too.

And I also have to throw in Rosemary Harris' Aunt May. The "there's a hero in all of us" monologue in SM2 is probably my favorite scene in the two movies.

But Kelsey Grammar's Beast didn't do anything for me. Maybe I've just never really cared for Beast.

-The Joker (Jack Nicholson)
-Doctor Octopus (Alfred Molina)
-Ra's Al Ghul (Liam Neeson)
-Magneto (Ian Mc Kellen)
-Prof Xavier (Patrick Stewart)
-Beast (Kelsey Grammer)
-Nightcrawler (Alan Cummings)
-Jonah Jameson (J.K. Simmons)
-Aunt May (Rosemary Harris)

I think all those characters, despite some of the variations from their comic book counterparts, made excellent on screen adaptions. All of them were superb characters and very well played by their actors.

I didn't count Molina's Doctor Octopus in mine because I think the character is much different than he is portrayed in the comics. I was giving closest to source material. But I do think Molina's Ock was pretty badass

I didn't count Molina's Doctor Octopus in mine because I think the character is much different than he is portrayed in the comics.

I wouldn't say he was much different. The arms warping his mind was different, but I saw it as the equivalent to brain damage due to radiation. And, he was shown to have a violent and ruthless streak pre-accident, when Spider-Man tried to unplug his reactor at the demonstration, and Octavius smashed him into a wall.

The arms just brought out that dark side he had alot more, IMO.

But I do think Molina's Ock was pretty badass

Agreed. He gave a terrific performance, and was visually stunning.

spider-man 2 was a total disapiontment for me. nothing about that movie was what i was hoping for

Tobey just seemed to doughy and serious. i wish he had been played a little more light hearted, and his jokes and quips didn't seem so labored

I think what is interesting about The Shadow pulps/comics/radio broadcasts was that there necessarily wasn't ONE story in particular that made the character, rather it was the sum of its parts that made The Shadow such an enjoyable character. Having said that, I thought Alec Baldwin's portrayal was amazing and he really captured the essence of the character.

Tobey just seemed to doughy and serious. i wish he had been played a little more light hearted, and his jokes and quips didn't seem so labored

That's what Spider-man was for, to be more light-hearted and jokey. Just like in the comic which it's adapted from. As opposed to Peter who's 'doughy' and serious. Because if you lead the life Peter has... it ain't much fun.

no i mean as spider-man the quips seemed labored. tobey as peter parker is another can of worms altogether

And I also have to throw in Rosemary Harris' Aunt May. The "there's a hero in all of us" monologue in SM2 is probably my favorite scene in the two movies.

wow...I thought I was the only one. That speech really summed up for me, and I think for a lot of people, why we find comic heros, particularly Spider-man, so fascinating since we were kids. I'm always moved by that scene.

no i mean as spider-man the quips seemed labored. tobey as peter parker is another can of worms altogether

Eh, I thought that Maguire and Raimi really nailed both characters. To each his own. And congrats, 1 more post and you hit 1000!

wow...I thought I was the only one. That speech really summed up for me, and I think for a lot of people, why we find comic heros, particularly Spider-man, so fascinating since we were kids. I'm always moved by that scene.

That scene feels very natural to me. It shows off Peter's supporting cast so much better than any of the other franchises and that he alone can't be Spider-man. That he needs other people to support him, regardless if they know who he is or not. As well as that Spider-man is not what defines him but rather Peter defines who Spider-man is. Unlike Batman where Bruce Wayne is the mask and Batman is who he truly is. Or Superman where he's neither Clark or Superman but Kal-El.

(and don't get me wrong, I'm a huge huge Batman fan, but I feel that the movie was a bit off.)

I know the movie isnt very popular, but i thought they got the Ghost Rider spot on in the movie.

As for my others, i pretty much agree with everyone else who has posted, except for Beast, i felt they never got his true intellegence or love for science right.

In none of the Batman films do I think, "That's the guy I read about in the comics come to life." Not a criticism per se as there have been endless different versions of Batman in the comics.

the best character adaptation has to be Wesley Snipes in blade 1 and 2.

2 Awesome movies with Snipes bringing the character to life,
what a legend!

Oh actually I think the best character adaptation has been J. Jonah Jameson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"